Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Pigeon bought at auction for $1.42 million

8 posts in this topic

Eldorado

A star racing pigeon named Armando has fetched a record 1.25 million euros in an online auction, Belgian media reported Sunday.

The prized bird—Belgian's best long-distance racer of all time according to those in the know—was snapped up by a Chinese buyer for a princely sum that caused a flutter of excitement among fanciers.

Armando had been expected to break the previous record of 376,000 euros ($425,000) paid for a pigeon called Nadine—but not by such a wide margin.

Full monty at Phys dot org: https://phys.org/news/2019-03-belgian-pigeon-flies-high-million.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

ouija ouija

And here he is:

image.png.faa597de204ac38df38ef6be543266cd.png

• Like 4

acute

I don't like him. He looks a bit shifty.

• Haha 6

Black Red Devil
Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2019 at 1:38 AM, ouija ouija said:

And here he is:

image.png.faa597de204ac38df38ef6be543266cd.png

Nice design coloured feathers. Were they tailor made?

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

ouija ouija
5 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Nice design coloured feathers. Were they tailored made?

It looks like he has a good tailor, doesn't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

bob jr
Posted (edited)

i hear pigeon racing is a serious sport in some parts of the world , lol., 1.42 million $  for a pigeon . is the prize money in pigeon racing that good to make an investment like that i mean it's not like horse racing is it ? , that i understand ..... with prize money & breeding fees the payoff can be worth it but pigeons ?  

Edited by bob jr
  • Like 2

bob jr

their is a race called the SOUTH AFRICAN MILLION DOLLAR pigeon race , just looked at some online articles about the sport & it is serious business . the sport has it's shares of doping scandals  , cheating , etc . it seems that the hallowed sport of pigeon racing is just as corrupt as any other sport ( i'm looking at you ) my beloved harness racing .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bob jr
Posted (edited)

interesting thread ( i'm a sports freak ) anyway , but i find this oddly interesting , lol . they have auction houses for racing pigeons , it looks as if their are pigeon races with prize money in the hundreds of thousands such as the gold coast 5000 in australia ( in 2016 the prize purse was 300k$ dollars ) , breeding top flight winning pigeons is worth alot too  . it seems pigeon racing has a diehard group of racing pigeon owners , breeders  , enthusiastic fans & pigeon bettors .  pigeon racing is popular in asia, oceania ( australia ) , the america's , europe & africa ( south africa ) . i'm going to learn more about this interesting sport   but for now i'll stick to betting my beloved harness races  

Edited by bob jr
  • Like 1