Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jack the Ripper (Another Angle)

LucidElement

DNA Research may have finally solved Jack the RIpper mystery. Of course, we come across these articles once a year or so, but they seem to be getting better.

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/science/jack-the-ripper-revealed-dna-research-may-finally-unravel-mystery

The scientists’ genetic testing linked Aaron Kosminski, a 23-year-old Polish barber living in London, to the crimes, according to Science Magazine. Although identified as a Jack the Ripper suspect, police are said to have lacked sufficient evidence to charge Kosminski for the murders.   - Fox News

• Like 5

"Kosminski had been identified by a witness to one of the Jack the Ripper killings, although the witness refused to testify against him, experts say.

However, the latest research claims to back up the witness who pointed the finger at Kosminski."

Sounds like this is defiantly the Ripper, from an eyewitness account, and from a scientific point of view, and the way her body was mutilated points to the Ripper and not just a random killing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

It should be noted that Kominski is not mentioned at all in the paper.

Yes he is, on the second page of the paper.

hypothesis that the shawl contains biological material from Catherine Eddowes and that the mtDNAsequences obtained from semen stains match the sequences ofone of the main police suspects, Aaron Kosminski. The pheno-typic information derived from the genomic DNA also matcheswith the only eyewitness account, which has generally been con-sidered reliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So when will this be 100 percent proven, that Kominski is our man?

I really feel like over the years its always someone different, but looks like Kominski is starting to finally shape up to prove he was Jack the Ripper... What is the next thing science will need to do to prove this fella to be the one?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rashore said:

Yes he is, on the second page of the paper.

I missed that thanks. This seems to be the only mention of him by name, which is odd considering he is the main suspect.

• Like 2

This is very interesting.

• Like 1

Doing a little more reading on this and it seems there are questions on the legitimacy of the authenticity of the item tested. So, it seems this will just end up getting filed away as another theory and then dismissed. 

Yup, was just watching news, they were talking about the 23 year old barber.. guess evidence and DNA is really stacking up against this guy... they said in 1888 the police fingered him then, but not enough evidence at the time to sentence him. Interesting.

• Like 1

I just saw that too, and he died at 53 in the London asylum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LucidElement said:

So when will this be 100 percent proven, that Kominski is our man?

I really feel like over the years its always someone different, but looks like Kominski is starting to finally shape up to prove he was Jack the Ripper... What is the next thing science will need to do to prove this fella to be the one?

If the Police reports survived, then if he denied ever being near the victim or even knowing her, yet his DNA was present with the murder victim, along with an eyewitness who refused to testify probably from fear, my guess would be out of the five suspects, he would be the one. And the case could probably be closed.

• Like 1

Everyone is hearing this now. According to what I found, the first DNA test was a 99.2% match and the second test was a 100% match to one of Kominski's living relatives. The question is with the shawl, but if a DNA match from Kominski's family was found on it, what would be the odds it wasn't him? It got there somehow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/jack-the-ripper-identity-aaron-kosminski-named-forensic-scientists/?fbclid=IwAR3EOENdcGENyunfvTNjuI_crMyWK16DNnoum7rWzG8Zo_uZU-8iDg6uuhw

Edited by susieice

9 hours ago, susieice said:

Everyone is hearing this now. According to what I found, the first DNA test was a 99.2% match and the second test was a 100% match to one of Kominski's living relatives. The question is with the shawl, but if a DNA match from Kominski's family was found on it, what would be the odds it wasn't him? It got there somehow.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/jack-the-ripper-identity-aaron-kosminski-named-forensic-scientists/?fbclid=IwAR3EOENdcGENyunfvTNjuI_crMyWK16DNnoum7rWzG8Zo_uZU-8iDg6uuhw

Well, if the shawl isn't actually the property of the victim and wasn't actually found at the scene of the crime then the chances are very strong that he wasn't the killer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Well, if the shawl isn't actually the property of the victim and wasn't actually found at the scene of the crime then the chances are very strong that he wasn't the killer.

But the article says it belonged to and was found next to Catherine Eddowes' body and was part of the evidence, as does LucidElement's link. 

50 minutes ago, susieice said:

But the article says it belonged to and was found next to Catherine Eddowes' body and was part of the evidence, as does LucidElement's link. 

It is BELIEVED to have been found there and belonged to her. The shawl itself has quite a history that would lend it to being of questionable value to an investigation.

https://latest.com/2014/09/dna-finally-identified-real-jack-ripper-depends-ask/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

It is BELIEVED to have been found there and belonged to her. The shawl itself has quite a history that would lend it to being of questionable value to an investigation.

https://latest.com/2014/09/dna-finally-identified-real-jack-ripper-depends-ask/

Her DNA was identified also.

So its shaping up this barber is our boy finally!

I hate to be a wool blanket, but if she was working as a prostitute there is a chance his DNA was on her stuff for other reasons. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I've always thought it was kominski. I don't believe this to be proof beyond a shadow of a doubt, but it definitely helps reinforce what I already believed.

1 hour ago, skliss said:

I hate to be a wool blanket, but if she was working as a prostitute there is a chance his DNA was on her stuff for other reasons. Just a thought.

This shawl had both DNAs on it, but if Kominski's DNA came from the stain they say it did, it makes me wonder too now. I don't doubt both were in very close contact with the shawl but no one ever expressed the theory that Jack the Ripper availed himself of the services before he killed them. The theory was always that he got behind them and slashed their throats. Kominski may have only been with her as a consumer so to speak.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, susieice said:

I read about how a police officer took it home with him.

And there's your reasonable doubt right there. Especially were the officer a contemporary of Kosminski and thought him guilty.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

And there's your reasonable doubt right there. Especially were the officer a contemporary of Kosminski and thought him guilty.

Except that the officer would have no reason to plant semen or any other bodily fluids. It would have served no purpose in 1888. I agree that it's not proof by any means but to imply that DNA evidence was planted by an officer with an agenda in the 1880s is a bit silly

Edited by Kilgore Trout
  • Like 2