Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The human body may have a magnetic sense

UM-Bot

44 minutes ago, UM-Bot said:

Scientists now believe that humans, like birds, may be able to sense the Earth's magnetic field.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/326342/the-human-body-may-have-a-magnetic-sense

I bet most animals evolved with some ability to sense electro magnetic fields. I wish I understood enough to know how different wireless bands affects that ability, if at all.

• Like 1

I remember an article I read decades ago about the direction you sleep in and how it supposedly could disturb your sleep for a few days if you changed it dramatically, such as if your bed ran N/S and you moved your room around and placed it E/W . They asserted it was due to the magnetic directions and flow.

Always wondered if that was true, but, can't say I ever noted it affecting me - when I am tired I can sleep anywhere :).  

• Like 1

I'm wondering if cars going past people are acting like the signal directors on television ariels. As they line up the magnetic field lines are straightened and amplified. A person standing at a bus stop would be subjected to numerous bursts of amplified magnetism, include the fact that water is repelled by a magnetic field (paramagnetic), and I guess the human body becomes a dipole resonating to a frequency related to their height. I also read somewhere that on a graph the human depression rate curve is the same as the number of street light one. Toss in the cars going past underneath and a person would again be subjected to magnetic signal bursts. The strength of the burst is probably microscopic but if you scratch at a mountain long enough you eventually get a hole, and so the breakdown occurs.

We sense our environment in other ways, so why not magnetically as well?  I have always had an uncanny sense of direction.  When I was younger my friends and I would all pile in a car and go on long rides in the country, getting more lost at every turn.  When it was time to go back they would say "ok, Jim, get us home" and I could pick out the most direct return route.  Just like some people have perfect vision and others have keen hearing, I seem to have an acute sense in this regard.  

I've often wondered how we can keep so many maps in our head.  Maybe it's this magnetic sense that augments our memory in this function.

• Like 1