Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Question about H20 allergy

DraconicInvestigator

Just something I wanted to know. I read about this girl who has Aquagenic Urticaria, a rare disease called water allergy. She went into anaphylactic shock after she drunk a sip of water, so how come she does not react to her own body water including swallowing her saliva, considering saliva is literally purer than seawater (99.5% H2O). If the girl dies from just say... 5 ml of H2O, how is she alive when she has at least 60 lbs of water in her body?  H2O is H2O regardless of if it comes from outside the body or inside the body and the immune system has no way of telling if a H2O molecule came from someplace else compared to the rest of the H2O molecules in the body. Plus scientists say H2O molecule is too small to cause an immune response since antibodies cannot bind it because it's  a far too small and simple molecule. 

Its like saying, I can't eat a single peanut or I die but I eat a teaspoon of peanut butter every minute and I have 60 lbs of peanut butter permeating my entire body and I'm perfectly OK with that. 

Edited by DraconicInvestigator
  • Like 1

Not a true allergy, or histaminic reaction to water. The usual thinking is that some irritant dissolved in the water is responsible. Hives, or Urticaria frequently has an emotional cause. I wonder if that could be the case here. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, that's almost as bad as being allergic to your own flatulence.  I'm with bison on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DraconicInvestigator said:

I read about this girl who has Aquagenic Urticaria,

Cite your source please, because this sounds like a very suspect tale.

• Like 1

She can have a cup of tea and relax. Though I have seen people so addicted to alcohol, they appeared completely unwilling to drink water, under any circumstance, beer was the closest thing to water they would drink.

DuckDuckGo'd it and found this cause at https://www.healthline.com/health/aquagenic-urticaria#causes  

"Researchers are still working to determine the exact cause of aquagenic urticaria. Some speculate it’s the chemical additives in water, like chlorine, that cause the reaction, rather than contact with water itself."

Described as a form of hives when a victim reacts to skin/water contact. Ref includes a rather painful picture of an affected chest. It LOOKS like it hurts :( 

Nothing in this reference mentions mental or anything, just not a lot of research and that it is believed to be from additives in fluids, not water itself.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Cite your source please, because this sounds like a very suspect tale.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/JUST+ONE+CUP+OF+WATER+COULD+KILL+LITTLE+HEIDI%3B+Girl's+deadly+allergy...-a061152595

It is long, but very detailed and mentions she went into shock from drinking a ''mouthful'' of water accidentally, and she had to be injected with adrenaline to prevent her death.

26 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

DuckDuckGo'd it and found this cause at https://www.healthline.com/health/aquagenic-urticaria#causes  

"Researchers are still working to determine the exact cause of aquagenic urticaria. Some speculate it’s the chemical additives in water, like chlorine, that cause the reaction, rather than contact with water itself."

Described as a form of hives when a victim reacts to skin/water contact. Ref includes a rather painful picture of an affected chest. It LOOKS like it hurts :( 

Nothing in this reference mentions mental or anything, just not a lot of research and that it is believed to be from additives in fluids, not water itself.

I harbor doubts about the 'irritant dissolved in water' scenario, because there are reportedly cases caused by distilled water, which should be free of additives like chlorine, or other contaminants. 

9 minutes ago, bison said:

I harbor doubts about the 'irritant dissolved in water' scenario, because there are reportedly cases caused by distilled water, which should be free of additives like chlorine, or other contaminants. 

Depends are they talking skin contact or ingestion? 

anyone?

Didn't you start a thread on the same exact subject? 

• Like 1

It's generally understood to involve contact of water with the skin. There seem to be a few alleged cases involving swallowed water, too. 

Edited by bison

6 minutes ago, bison said:

It's generally understood to involve contact of water with the skin. There seem to be a few alleged cases involving swallowed water, too. 

It's the cases of severe reactions involving swallowed water I'm interested in. Like if a sip of water sends them into anaphylaxis, how come swallowing a mouthful of spit doesn't? Spit is purer than seawater, some 99.5% H2O so almost pure water.

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Didn't you start a thread on the same exact subject? 

well if 97 replies didn't answer it then, maybe a medical forum would be more useful for the question :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bison said:

I am not a medical doctor so we have hit the extent of my knowledge. I quoted a seemingly reputable medical site. It sounds like it needs more research for a definitive answer.

• Like 1

bump............

Rule 1d. Thread bumping: Do not post 'bump' messages solely to return a thread to the top of the topic index.

You've also posted this topic twice already.

Thread Closed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked