Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pseudoarchaeology Timeline

Hanslune

Wouldn't the attribution of Mycenean construction to cyclops fit into this? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Wouldn't the attribution of Mycenean construction to cyclops fit into this? 

Howdy ShadowSot - long time no read.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you explain please?

6 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

Howdy ShadowSot - long time no read.

Same, good to see you. 

6 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you explain please?

Post their collapse, Greek writers attributed the larger megalithic constructions of the Mycenean and others as works done by cyclops. 

Gives us the phrase "cyclopean masonry." 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Same, good to see you. 

Post their collapse, Greek writers attributed the larger megalithic constructions of the Mycenean and others as works done by cyclops. 

Gives us the phrase "cyclopean masonry." 

Oh I see a OLD pseudo-archaeological hoax - well we can blame their religion for that one and the existence of mammoth/mastodon skulls

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

Oh I see a OLD pseudo-archaeological hoax - well we can blame their religion for that one and the existence of mammoth/mastodon skulls

I don't know about hoax, but certainly pseudo archaeology and definitely has influence on the modern stuff. 

11 hours ago, Piney said:

That's the funniest part. They are that lazy.

I had one of his followers ask me if I used Google Earth to find the debris field from the Toms River event. :lol:

I said no, I was sifting a lot of sand all over South Jersey. 

Which brings me to another crackup. They only make theories about craters they can see........on Google Earth.

Then you have those idiot Carolina Bay theorists. Sorry I poked them from New Jersey to Georgia looking for Clovisy thingies. They are nothing but thermokarst basins.

Yoh should have been looking for Solutrean Lithic materials. They were here before Clovis.:D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jarocal said:

Yoh should have been looking for Solutrean Lithic materials. They were here before Clovis.:D

I was looking for that at one time too. I like Dennis Stanford and Anthony Bonofiglio. But this thing called "genetics" ruined the whole idea. There are still Germanic Neopagans who promoter it though.

So shouldn't you be reverse engineering rocks to prove they were either poured or carved?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Was that the Templar treasure one? That the Smithsonian supposedly descended on and took everything from?

Yes the story was about both Egyptian ruins and the Smithsonian backing which led into claims that they ransacked it and destroyed the opening. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Piney said:

I actually think that too. As with @Doug1o29

Hey Doug! Maybe you should join this thread! 

I have wondered if the reports of a native American woman being taken to Iceland might have been involved with the Penny. Just a fantastical thought.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/11/icelanders-descended-from-native-americans/#.XJJk2bhryUk

Oh and slackers who are not aware of the Maine Penny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_penny

I knew a lot about it as one of my college friends was very passionate about the Norse in NA and spent his life searching for their signs of habitation. He was sure the Norse had left more sites than L'anse aux Meadows and that modern structures were sitting atop these. He looked for forty years but found - nothing.

norse-maine-silver-penny.jpg

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I knew a lot about it as one of my college friends was very passionate about the Norse in NA and spent his life searching for their signs of habitation. He was sure the Norse had left more sites than L'anse aux Meadows and that modern structures were sitting atop these. He looked for forty years but found - nothing.

A lot of people forget about the Basque fishermen too.

I had a interesting item that was stolen with the rest of my collection while I was in prison. I dug a Swedish cabin-trading post in the center of a major village location cir. 1640s.

It was a Swedish "trade celt". Instead of having a pole and hole, it was constructed exactly like a Eastern Woodland celt except out of iron. I remember seeing another one being flashed around as proof of Roman or Celtic contact but I don't remember where. 

Edited by Piney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

A lot of people forget about the Basque fishermen too.

I had a interesting item that was stolen with the rest of my collection while I was in prison. I dug a Swedish cabin-trading post in the center of a major village location cir. 1640s.

It was a Swedish "trade celt". Instead of having a pole and hole, it was constructed exactly like a Eastern Woodland celt except out of iron. I remember seeing another one being flashed around as proof of Roman or Celtic contact but I don't remember where. 

Lots of possible seafaring folks MAY have ventured out into the North and Mid Atlantic - those that could would make a fairly long list and of course the Norse actually left evidence that they did.

• Like 4

Lots of possible seafaring folks MAY have ventured out into the North and Mid Atlantic - those that could would make a fairly long list and of course the Norse actually left evidence that they did.

The Basques were trying to keep their prime fishing grounds a secret but they did set up salting and processing stations. I remember reading a few dig reports at Penn but I haven't seen anything online.

John Cresson, Anthony Bonofiglio and I were looking for Clovis and Debert sites around Ocean County, New Jersey where there are several Carolina Bays that aren't silted up and swamped over we were discussing the possibility of the Norse swinging into the Delaware Bay. There is a lot of unexplored ground around there.  

• Like 1

The pottery talked about in this article is found among the Minsi of North Jersey. Not the Northern or Southern Unami in Central and South Jersey. It is a distinct Northern Algonquian style heavily influenced by Iroquoian Peoples. 

Central Jersey Eastern PA had their own distinct style.

South Jersey and Northern Delaware had a distinct style and they used pot boiling stones and  Eastern bison and elk paunch liners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

The pottery talked about in this article is found among the Minsi of North Jersey. Not the Northern or Southern Unami in Central and South Jersey. It is a distinct Northern Algonquian style heavily influenced by Iroquoian Peoples. 

Central Jersey Eastern PA had their own distinct style.

South Jersey and Northern Delaware had a distinct style and they used pot boiling stones and  Eastern bison and elk paunch liners. 

Are you talking about the links/references at the bottom? Which ones?

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Are you talking about the links/references at the bottom? Which ones?

The pottery that was found on the same site the penny was. The wiki article said "also found in New Jersey". Nope. Only on the Northern edge. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

What about the Sandia Man Cave in New Mexico?  The actual excavation found no human remains but one of the students or professors, can't remember which planted bones and that hoax was not discovered for a few decades.  The below article does not mention that because it was a great embarrassment, but I remember in the 60's the "history" of the cave was different than it is now.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cibola/recarea/?recid=71221

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

What about the Sandia Man Cave in New Mexico?  The actual excavation found no human remains but one of the students or professors, can't remember which planted bones and that hoax was not discovered for a few decades.  The below article does not mention that because it was a great embarrassment, but I remember in the 60's the "history" of the cave was different than it is now.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/cibola/recarea/?recid=71221

Frank Hibben was the one who salted the site. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Frank Hibben was the one who salted the site. 

Yes, I couldn't remember his name.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:41 PM, Hanslune said:

By this logic we shouldn't be counting Mormon stuff, which strikes me as a crime against pseudoarchaeology

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, flashman7870 said:

By this logic we shouldn't be counting Mormon stuff, which strikes me as a crime against pseudoarchaeology

A crime against archaeology, history, anthropology, genetics and Christianity. :yes:

Just now, Piney said:

A crime against archaeology, history, anthropology, genetics and Christianity. :yes:

Mormonism is objectively the best case of American pseudoarchaeology ever devised, and America has produced a damn good amount of pseudoarchaeology. No other pseudoarchaeology as driven people to join a new ****ing religion that now enjoys millions of adherents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, flashman7870 said:

Mormonism is objectively the best case of American pseudoarchaeology ever devised, and America has produced a damn good amount of pseudoarchaeology. No other pseudoarchaeology as driven people to join a new ****ing religion that now enjoys millions of adherents.

America has produced more woocrap and done more damage to Christian and Buddhist theology than any other nation. I'm glad I did my Friends (Quaker) seminary study in the UK  and learned Buddhism from real monks in Asia. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flashman7870 said:

You forget about the Thetans and Xenu.

Harte

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harte said:

You forget about the Thetans and Xenu.

Harte

Eh, that was just a lie, not pseudoarchaeology. Unless LRH claimed to have discovered Thetan artifacts on Hawaii...

7 minutes ago, flashman7870 said:

Eh, that was just a lie, not pseudoarchaeology.

So is Atlantis.

Harte

• Like 3