Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bishopville Lizard Man

Minimalists

You know I only live maybe an hour and half from this place and never knew about this thing....I know, I know all we have are witness reports of the thing but I was wondering if anyone else has information on it? I read a synopsis on Amazon from Lyle Blackburns book entitled "The True Story of the Bishopville Monster"......I know this thing is a lot like Bigfoot where there is no physical evidence and this thread is not out to prove it exist..Just wanted to get some thoughts on it. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw it was David Ickes Reptilian crap....

• Like 3

I remember hearing stories and even reading a brief summary of it in an old book i checked out from the library when I was in Elementary school. Even thought I saw the thing chasing after our station wagon once when we were on a family vacation. Always one of my favorite cryptids because of it.

• Like 4

More folklors, anecdotal, no pix no evidence.

• Like 1

So all we have is a 17 year olds story followed by  fabricated stories to keep the story alive and blood from a dog?  

42 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

So all we have is a 17 year olds story followed by fabricated stories to keep the story alive and blood from a dog?  

Yes.  And your problem is?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alien Origins said:

.Just wanted to get some thoughts on it. 

First I heard of this one,  so I looked it up in Cryptid Wiki as Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp

I'm not sure what to think. It seems to follow that pattern of enough sightings. The article included: stating that a sufficient number of sightings had been made by apparently reliable people for them to believe that something tangible was being seen, but also that it was more likely to be a bear than a Lizard Man.

Like mothman and other cryptid sightings I get  a little suspicious of the usual explain-away as a normal creature causing so much stir.

32 minutes ago, acute said:

Yes.  And your problem is?

Hey....where is daddy hedgehog? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

More folklors, anecdotal, no pix no evidence.

You know I dont even know if a pic has been took of this thing...But your right more folklore and anecdotal stuff.

1 hour ago, Alien Origins said:

What's up CF? Glad you chimed in....

I'm glad to see a thread about something other than Bigfoot or Nessie, that's for sure!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

I'm glad to see a thread about something other than Bigfoot or Nessie, that's for sure!

Well I got some more stuff but I have been hestitant to post it. I have seen what happens in the Bigfoot threads....I guess this one caught my eye because its so close to home.

Edited by Alien Origins
Add something.
  • Like 1

It makes zero sense for an animal like that to even exist. I'm not far from Bishopville; about the only thing to do there is get drunk and make things up. The Lizard Man seems more of a gimmick to put the small town 'on the map', so to speak. Zero fossil records of anything resembling this biologically inefficient cryptid and it wouldn't be a dinosaur, either. The Lizard Man is a running joke across SC, as if we didn't have enough of them, already.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

There is more chance of there being a bigfoot than this lizard guy, and bigfoots chances are pretty slim. 

On a scale of 10 of existing:

Bigfoot:  minus  0.5

Bishopville lizard man:  minus  10.5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

On a scale of 10 of existing:
Bigfoot:  minus  0.5
Bishopville lizard man:  minus  10.5

Are these official James Randi figures?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Are these official James Randi figures?

No they are officially mine, but am sure Mr Randi would concur.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

It makes zero sense for an animal like that to even exist. I'm not far from Bishopville; about the only thing to do there is get drunk and make things up. The Lizard Man seems more of a gimmick to put the small town 'on the map', so to speak. Zero fossil records of anything resembling this biologically inefficient cryptid and it wouldn't be a dinosaur, either. The Lizard Man is a running joke across SC, as if we didn't have enough of them, already.

I'm not far from Bishopville; about the only thing to do there is get drunk and make things up.

:lol: I agree...We have a few places here where I live that are that way.

The Lizard Man is a running joke across SC, as if we didn't have enough of them, already.

:lol: Again agree....I live in the Upstate of South Carolina so I am about 1 1/2 hours away from Bishopville.....I just found it odd I had never heard the legend before. And just too add I do not believe the thing exists either I was just interested in how it all got started.

Edited by Alien Origins
  • Like 1

Its folklore, which can have really simple origins like a couple drunk bored fellows.

• Like 1