Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Ghosts Play Tricks on us?

TigerBright19

I went into a Victorian house before it was demolished as it was allegedly haunted, and I knew my grandmother used to work there in the 1930's as a maid and spoke of ghosts and spiritualists, and how the servants bell would ring and there would be nobody there.  I toured the building on my own shortly before it was demolished after gaining permission.  The windows were boarded up and the big house was in total darkness inside.  I wore a safety helmet and used a torch, and I had my trusty camera prepared and ready, but when I began to film upstairs near the servants quarters the camera just kept turning itself off.  The batteries were new and I could not understand it.  I did not like the creepy silence and walking around in the cold and dark hallways, and I decided to return another day with the camera again.  This time I brought my music player with me and I played 1930's dance music out loud in the main hall.  Hearing it echo down the hallways was a comforting feeling as I did not want to feel alone.  I walked up the stairs again towards the servants quarters and I filmed everything up there.  I was happy my camera was working properly, but when I was leaving I checked the camera and it said 'data corrupted' and I lost everything I filmed upstairs again.  It felt like someone was playing tricks on me.  The camera never behaved like that before or since.  The house was sealed up soon after and made ready for demolition.  Do you believe there was a ghost playing tricks?  Has anything like that happened to your cameras?

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Aaron2016

You are probably aware that one often reported feature of paranormally active locations is fully charged batteries draining and electronic devices failing and acting oddly in ways they never have before. Some experts suggest the paranormal entities draw energy from the environment (creating cold spots) and batteries for their use. After as many stories as I've heard, I believe that is almost certainly true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Aaron2016 Question: If instead of a Victorian house, you were at a lovely park on a sunny summer day filming little ducklings as they swam in a pond and your camera malfunctioned in a similar manner, how would you rationalise it then?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

@Aaron2016 Question: If instead of a Victorian house, you were at a lovely park on a sunny summer day filming little ducklings as they swam in a pond and your camera malfunctioned in a similar manner, how would you rationalise it then?

Possessed duckies? :o

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Oddly, enough I did go to a beautiful park shortly before, and again after, with no problems.  Took photos of the swans as well.

MountStewart-1.jpg

swan1.jpg

swan2.jpg

fl02.jpg

fl04.jpg

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2

Azaleas. Nice.

Edited by Piney

All the earmarks of a very typical haunted anecdote, i have to admit i get a laugh everytime faulty electronics are not blamed on the myriad prosiac reasons but just have to be paranormal....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

All the earmarks of a very typical haunted anecdote, i have to admit i get a laugh everytime faulty electronics are not blamed on the myriad prosiac reasons but just have to be paranormal....

Notice how one of the main excuses for not capturing the supernatural/cryptid was "Dammit! The lens cap was on!"?

Now batteries are being sucked dry and electronics are useless. 

Perhaps Ghost Hunters should try using a Polaroid... :yes:

• Thanks 1

"Data Corrupted" is not the message you will get, and cards will generally not be OK before and after such an event, as you claimed..  Also saying the batteries were 'new', is rather odd - don't you mean 'charged'?  Or do you use alkalines in your camera? - eeurgh..  When added to the potential value of such footage, and that there is no reference in your OP to making any attempt to recover the lost data.. I'm afraid I must call troll, or possibly a memory fabrication from a highly imaginative mind.

What happened to the contrast in that first shot?  The rest are nice.

Finally... people play tricks on this forum, and no, in the 55+ years I have been using a wide range of cameras (inc in some allegedly haunted locations), never has such a thing happened.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

"Data Corrupted" is not the message you will get, and cards will generally not be OK before and after such an event, as you claimed..  Also saying the batteries were 'new', is rather odd - don't you mean 'charged'?  Or do you use alkalines in your camera? - eeurgh..  When added to the potential value of such footage, and that there is no reference in your OP to making any attempt to recover the lost data.. I'm afraid I must call troll, or possibly a memory fabrication from a highly imaginative mind.

What happened to the contrast in that first shot?  The rest are nice.

Finally... people play tricks on this forum, and no, in the 55+ years I have been using a wide range of cameras (inc in some allegedly haunted locations), never has such a thing happened.

The corrupted data message did appear on the camera.  It was two or three years ago, but I'm fairly certain that is what was said on the camera when I tried to play back the footage I took, and you can be OK with the camera before and after because there was nothing to corrupt the card prior to the event, and you just have to format or replace the SD card afterwards to make the camera work again.  The batteries were new.  I use duracell AA batteries.  I don't use chargeable batteries because they run down too fast and I can't depend on them.  I did attempt to recover the data when I returned home.  If I recall (it was several years ago) I used the CMD command to recover the film I took.  It did not work.  Oddly enough, it did recover my holiday photos from the previous year which had been deleted which goes to show that deleted files can be recovered.  Since I did not see anything unusual upstairs I felt no reason to pay for software to try and recover the corrupted data and since my first attempt did not work I was not fussed about trying other methods.  I went on holiday about a month later and formatted the card and used the camera on holiday and it worked great.  I did not fabricate the story.  I am here to share my experience.  Nothing more.  The first photo in my post above is not mine.  It is just a generic photo from google which shows the general view of the park I went to before and after.  I often sell stuff at the car boot sales there at the estate and I am a regular visitor.  When someone mentioned ducks in a previous post I thought I would add some humour and I attached the photos I took of the swans and flowers to show how well my camera worked at the park.

You denied it happened to me because you said nothing like this has happened to do.  You can't base your beliefs of truth on just your own personal experience.  e.g.  I have been to the bank and post office many times and never been held up in a robbery, but it does happen, so just because I never experienced it in person does not mean it does not happen to others.  Please have a little faith in what people have to say regarding their own experiences.

Edited by Aaron2016

12 hours ago, the13bats said:

Pattern recognition is an important reasoning skill as is considering prosaic explanations and also forming an overall judgment.

After decades of interest in this stuff my best objective judgment is that the beyond the normal anomalous behavior of batteries and electronic devices in alleged haunted locations is more than a perpetuated myth. This is my best objective position considering all things. 

Ive never seen anything paranormal nor ever been in a hold up situation and both are very different experiences to make that comparison is a not just reaching but ridiculous, we have a myriad of Proof robberies in public places take place, to make a more fair comparison lets speculate i say that i went to my basement and was robbed, the perpetrator didnt say or do anything just gave me a feeling i was being robbed i tried to snap a pic but my battery died, and came back to life later,  i have no clue any other details...that example is equal in believability to your ghosts story comparison.

Depending on device a sd card can give a corrupted read error, but that certainly doesnt mean the reason is paranormal, right windows?

In a few cases its device sensitive, years back i saw many cameras that default format for the sd card wasnt liked in some computers heck way back only certain readers would read a card over 16gb.

Its very unlikely as in iver never seen it where a sd card was fine then at one location it gave error then never lication worked fine, i have seen countless sd cards with defects that again have zero to do with paranormal,

And to entertain that any location might effect electronics due to paranormal activity is just the dreams of the fantasy minded true believer,  however, sd cards are cheap dont risk loosing pics to defective cards.

Sure, there are normal conditions of the planet that in some caaes might effect some electronics.

To make a huge bounding leap and claim that a location is 100% haunted and slam the door to any other possible reason for an sd card error is  just too ludicrous for rational non fantasy minded folks to entertain.

I have no idea if you had an experence or not but im sure not using any of your zero provenance or evidence anecdote as proof of the paranormal, i will use it as proof electronics do fail and some people have vivid imaginations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 21/03/2019 at 4:19 PM, the13bats said:

To make a huge bounding leap and claim that a location is 100% haunted and slam the door to any other possible reason for an sd card error is  just too ludicrous for rational non fantasy minded folks to entertain.

I have no idea if you had an experence or not but im sure not using any of your zero provenance or evidence anecdote as proof of the paranormal, i will use it as proof electronics do fail and some people have vivid imaginations.

All I said was:

"The camera never behaved like that before or since.  Do you believe there was a ghost playing tricks?  Has anything like that happened to your cameras?"

There was no conclusions made on my part and no claim that "a location is 100% and slam the door to any other possible reason".  I am fully open to all hypothesis regarding the causes for the malfunction.  This is why I started the topic with an open question - "Do ghosts play tricks on us?"

Do ghosts play tricks on us?

First, do ghosts even exist to play tricks on anyone? <- until that is worked out beyond anecdotes and unsubstantiated evidence everything else is pointless.

Do electronics fail for completely normal reasons? Yes and often when it is really inconvenient.

Do coincidences occur? More often than we ever even notice. When we do notice though is when it becomes potentially "spooky", odd, strange....etc. That doesn't mean it is anything though, just a coincidence we decide to ascribe importance to. 

If the sdcard failed when someone was shopping in Walmart it likely wouldn't have any significance beyond frustrating them. If it fails while taking pictures of Stonehenge or in the catacombs in France it suddenly becomes mystical. Truthfully though, stuff fails...where it fails doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, esoteric_toad said:

- until that is worked out beyond anecdotes and unsubstantiated evidence everything else is pointless

Pointless for you or those who havent had their own experiences. I respect science and the scientific process, and i certainly wouldnt argue that my anecdotes are evidence or try and convince anyone,  but it can kiss my ass when it comes to things I know.

So for many the conversation is far from pointless , assuming we're not trying to get a paper published that is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

Do ghosts play tricks on us?

First, do ghosts even exist to play tricks on anyone? <- until that is worked out beyond anecdotes and unsubstantiated evidence everything else is pointless.

Do electronics fail for completely normal reasons? Yes and often when it is really inconvenient.

Do coincidences occur? More often than we ever even notice. When we do notice though is when it becomes potentially "spooky", odd, strange....etc. That doesn't mean it is anything though, just a coincidence we decide to ascribe importance to. 

If the sdcard failed when someone was shopping in Walmart it likely wouldn't have any significance beyond frustrating them. If it fails while taking pictures of Stonehenge or in the catacombs in France it suddenly becomes mystical. Truthfully though, stuff fails...where it fails doesn't matter.

^^^ very well said..

257c6b63c49e3f0b8d4f0bd1a7905577.jpg.ea843da3f68b16b097e4eea172c0ec20.jpg

I will add when a subject line is a leading question like "do ghosts play tricks on us? Its fairly acceptable to take it that the person asking is leaning towards the paranormal as they didnt ask "do sd cards ever fail at weird times and why?"

Perhaps the OP wasnt 100% convinced that the house was haunted and spookies tampered with his electronics but he sure did come off that way to me.

And we enter an area that is a bit hard for me to transverse, i dont want to offend anyone especially those i do respect however its hard for me to deal with peoples egos getting all FU-ish when you make it clear their "experiences" are nothing more than a story an ancedote  not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research so since my goal is proof for myself and im not doing published works ancedotal is rather pointless to me but i do fully understand with most true believers its all they have and some do get very passionate about it, passion and sincerity doesnt mean a person isnt mistaken or wrong.

I have and believe most people have seen weird unexplained stuff had strange things happen but unexplaned will never leap to paranormal no matter how hard true believers wish that was the case,

So be content with your experience being enough for you, but also be content your anecdote isnt enough for me or to be Proof in any useful way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1