Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Himalayan Balsam invades UK woods

Eldorado

"Invasive Himalayan balsam is now so widespread it has overtaken native species in British woods, experts have warned.

The findings from the National Plant Monitoring Scheme, in which volunteers across the UK survey habitats from woods to heathland, found the plant was now more frequently recorded  than bugle, wild garlic or ransoms, and woodruff."

At the UK Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019/03/20/invasive-himalayan-balsam-has-overtaken-native-species-british/

How to identify and remove Himalayan Balsam from your garden.

https://www.phsgreenleaf.co.uk/what-is-himalayan-balsam-how-to-identify-and-remove-himalayan-balsam-from-your-garden/

• Like 1

Glyphosate is basically Agent Orange. The best way to control a invasive species is burn it off with a long handled torch. If it has a shallow root system it's not coming back. They really over complicated this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

umm.. it IS shallow-rooted, so you can just dig it up with a trowel, if you find it colonising your garden. 

In the UK, you can then dispose of the uprooted plants at your local council recycling centre, providing it is licensed to deal with invasive plant species. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

In the UK, you can then dispose of the uprooted plants at your local council recycling centre, providing it is licensed to deal with invasive plant species. 

Here you have to burn it. Easier to use a torch than dig it up and build a fire. The ash is also good for the soil. I rather just put on my backpack flamer and have a time at it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Here you have to burn it. Easier to use a torch than dig it up and build a fire. The ash is also good for the soil. I rather just put on my backpack flamer and have a time at it. 

I can totally see you run around with the USM2A1 flamethrower

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Piney said:

You have to be careful burning this stuff. If you have fronds with seeds on, the seedheads can explode, scattering seeds all over the place (beyond the range of the fire). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Impedancer said:

I can totally see you run around with the USM2A1 flamethrower

I spent July 4th mucking in the flower garden with the boss while somebody across the fields was setting off some serious homemade stuff. A couple days later I went to Aldis in town and the manager asked me what I was blowing up.

Why does everybody think I'm so destructive? :whistle:

• Haha 2