Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NYC to finally get self-drive shuttle service

Eldorado

41 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

There is nothing inconsistent about thinking the economy is meant for humans. That the work force is meant for humans. What good is automation if it makes most people unemployable? How can an economy work if people can’t actually make money?

Please see: luddite

NTM all the driving jobs where the driver doesn’t unload at all. Where they just drop off trailers at a terminal, hook up to another and go down the road. 

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Most companies have their own fleet. How much is that driver worth to the company when it doesn’t require any skill to do their job? 

there is no way in hell, they will allow public roads to be used by self driving cars without a backup driver. i imagine they will still be required, 

if we have to build special roads for self driving cars,  imagine the workforce required nationwide.  

Edited by aztek

Just now, preacherman76 said:

NTM all the driving jobs where the driver doesn’t unload at all. Where they just drop off trailers at a terminal, hook up to another and go down the road. 

using their own trucks. 

10 minutes ago, Setton said:

Sorry, how many times does the car change gears for you? 

as many as necessary i imagine.   not sure what exactly you are asking,  you really do not expect me to know how many times my transmission shifted a day, do you?

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

using their own trucks. 

The number of owner operators is no where near as large as company owned trucks. 

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

there is no way in hell, they will allow public roads to be used by self driving cars without a backup driver. i imagine they will still be required, 

Why? At what point does the driver take over? In the split second it takes for a accident to happen? 

Every article I’ve read on the subject talks about how the passenger will be completely free to do whatever they’d like to do during the commute. 

7 minutes ago, aztek said:

as many as necessary i imagine.   not sure what exactly you are asking,  you really do not expect me to know how many times my transmission shifted a day, do you?

Just teasing. If you (or the car) don't need to change gears much on the longer drives, you don't really need an automatic do you? 

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

Please see: luddite

It’s not comparable. Jobs are not being invented in anywhere near the numbers today as they were back then. 

Go for a drive and count the number of commercial vehicles you see in just a few highway miles. Then understand there are just as many, if not more in every section of the entire developed world. 

21 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

The number of owner operators is no where near as large as company owned trucks. 

yea, you got a point, there are close to 350k owners operators in usa, so their jobs are safe,

fleet drivers,   delivery companies like fed ex, ups, dhl, .... need drivers to unload, make delivery. so their jobs are safe too., idk how many are there, i'll google it, but it's quite a lot. 

bus drivers, idk,  unless it is a dedicated roadway, like our air train that has no operator,  i do not think bus company will want that liability

17 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Why? At what point does the driver take over? In the split second it takes for a accident to happen? 

Every article I’ve read on the subject talks about how the passenger will be completely free to do whatever they’d like to do during the commute. 

simple,  self driving car will not go off pavement, if there is an accident and you have to go around on the grass\over sidewalks.  without driver, the car will stay and wait until it is safe to go. they maybe self driving, but they can't make decisions humans can. which in most cases are good thing, but not always.  it's just one off the top of my head reason, i'm sure there are others.

i bet  unions will push legislation that will require driver to be present in self driving cars.  

articles are wonderful things, i'm sure they say a lot of things, but they are often too optimistic. 

Edited by aztek

On 3/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, Farmer77 said:

I wish I didnt hate big cities so much. Autonomous cars are a stoner's dream come true

once you get the bill for the ride watch how quickly you sober up and get the munchies. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

It’s not comparable. Jobs are not being invented in anywhere near the numbers today as they were back then. 

Go for a drive and count the number of commercial vehicles you see in just a few highway miles. Then understand there are just as many, if not more in every section of the entire developed world. 

And those jobs would be replaced by new ones. Just as they always have been. 

In the 1700s, people sabotaged machines because they were replacing workers. In the 1970s, people claimed they'd only be working 2 days a week because of automation. And yet... 

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

yea, you got a point, there are close to 350k owners operators in usa, so their jobs are safe,

fleet drivers,   delivery companies like fed ex, ups, dhl, .... need drivers to unload, make delivery. so their jobs are safe too., idk how many are there, i'll google it, but it's quite a lot. 

bus drivers, idk,  unless it is a dedicated roadway, like our air train that has no operator,  i do not think bus company will want that liability

simple,  self driving car will not go off pavement, if there is an accident and you have to go around on the grass\over sidewalks.  without driver, the car will stay and wait until it is safe to go. they maybe self driving, but they can't make decisions humans can. which in most cases are good thing, but not always.  it's just one off the top of my head reason, i'm sure there are others.

i bet  unions will push legislation that will require driver to be present in self driving cars.  

articles are wonderful things, i'm sure they say a lot of things, but they are often too optimistic. 

Let's be honest, preacherman76's doomsday isn't going to happen. For exactly the reason you say, there will still be a driver present and I fully expect the driver will be able to override the computer to allow for computer error and emergencies. 

30 minutes ago, Setton said:

Just teasing. If you (or the car) don't need to change gears much on the longer drives, you don't really need an automatic do you? 

my car has 6 gears it shifts thru them all on long and short trips.  idk about uk but in usa we have such things as traffic jams, quite often actually, i would really like you to drive in those for 1 day, then come back and say you do not need automatic.

is it possible to drive a stick in a heavy traffic , yes, but so is cutting a tree down with a pocket knife,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, aztek said:

Maybe. There will be those who can’t afford to buy a new truck, and those who won’t be able to afford insurance anymore either when they can’t afford the upgrade. 

14 minutes ago, aztek said:

Couple things. If these drivers don’t actually have to drive they won’t be worth anywhere near what they are now. On top of that there will be many more newly unemployed drivers applying for those jobs making those companies in an even better position to pay much lower wages. 

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

And those jobs would be replaced by new ones. Just as they always have been. 

In the 1700s, people sabotaged machines because they were replacing workers. In the 1970s, people claimed they'd only be working 2 days a week because of automation. And yet... 

Yeah cause automation was creeping into nearly every industry in the 1700’s as they are today.  

12 minutes ago, Setton said:

Lets be honest

More like denial. The overall effects of future automation in many areas are well documented, and it isn’t good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Maybe. There will be those who can’t afford to buy a new truck, and those who won’t be able to afford insurance anymore either when they can’t afford the upgrade. 

Couple things. If these drivers don’t actually have to drive they won’t be worth anywhere near what they are now. On top of that there will be many more newly unemployed drivers applying for those jobs making those companies in an even better position to pay much lower wages. 

well, time will tell,  i do not think it will be that bad.  

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, OverSword said:

At some point this and mass transit is going to be the only way available to travel in urban areas in every developed country.  I'm guessing much sooner than we think.  Once there are enough autonomous vehicles in a given area it will become illegal to drive yourself in your own personal vehicle in these areas because human drivers will inhibit the smooth flow of traffic.

That's funny that there are some sad face responses to this.  That's like throwing a sad face up 120 years ago if someone predicted that soon there will be no horses used for transportation and the nation will be criss crossed with concrete highways and people will spend thousands of dollars each keeping a vehicle on the road.

With the automated era we're heading towards you won't have to buy a car, insurance, gas...road fatalities will be near zero (how many dead people do you know killed in car accidents) people won't ruin their lives with a ticket for being .0001 over the legal limit.  The list of pluses is really pretty long, and it is going to happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's funny that there are some sad face responses to this.  That's like throwing a sad face up 120 years ago if someone predicted that soon there will be no horses used for transportation and the nation will be criss crossed with concrete highways and people will spend thousands of dollars each keeping a vehicle on the road.

With the automated era we're heading towards you won't have to buy a car, insurance, gas...road fatalities will be near zero (how many dead people do you know killed in car accidents) people won't ruin their lives with a ticket for being .0001 over the legal limit.  The list of pluses is really pretty long, and it is going to happen.

yea i can live with that, as long as i have my personal drone to go where public transport wont.  but i do not think either will happen for at least 50 years. 

36 minutes ago, aztek said:

my car has 6 gears it shifts thru them all on long and short trips.  idk about uk but in usa we have such things as traffic jams, quite often actually, i would really like you to drive in those for 1 day, then come back and say you do not need automatic.

is it possible to drive a stick in a heavy traffic , yes, but so is cutting a tree down with a pocket knife,

Yeah, we get traffic jams and we manage fine. I thought your argument was that you need manual cars because you drive such long distances? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

Yeah, we get traffic jams and we manage fine. I thought your argument was that you need manual cars because you drive such long distances? 

the argument was that electric cars do not offer range to have them as only cars in a family, for now,  they also need to be plugged for several hours at least to charge,  not something one can do without a garage. city folks for the most part live in flats, no garage. 

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

the argument was that electric cars do not offer range to have them as only cars in a family, for now,  they also need to be plugged for several hours at least to charge,  not something one can do without a garage. city folks for the most part live in flats, no garage. 

OK....... 

No one was talking about electric cars.... 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Setton said:

OK....... 

No one was talking about electric cars.... 

actually yes, we were,   what we did not talk about was  gears and transmissions, you brought it up,

Edited by aztek
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

actually yes, we were,   what we did not talk about was  gears and transmissions, you brought it up,

See post #21, where it was first brought up. 

The topic is about self driving cars, not electric. I am not accountable for whatever conversations you may be having with the voices in your head today. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Setton said:

See post #21, where it was first brought up. 

The topic is about self driving cars, not electric. I am not accountable for whatever conversations you may be having with the voices in your head today. 

you mean the same post that mentions electric car? 

how much of an idiot does it make you? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, aztek said:

you mean the same post that mentions electric car? 

how much of an idiot does it make you? 

Yes, it mentions them. Once. 

But that's not what the post was about or what we were talking about when you blundered into the conversation. I appreciate literacy isn't your strong suit but maybe ask someone to help if you're struggling that much. 

• Confused 1