Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

NYC to finally get self-drive shuttle service

98 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

preacherman76

Besides how much money is paid for near daily maintenance of planes? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

there are computer errors and there are human errors that affect computers, the way i see it, most of computer errors are human errors,  especially when it comes to data entry, wrong data entered, in a wrong field, and computer will get "confused", but we still call it a computer error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
Just now, preacherman76 said:

It can only be as flawless as any computer. Sooner or later they will malfunction. They always do. 

Which is more likely to malfunction first? The computer or the human brain? One can be fatigued or distracted, the other will work in a consistent fashion 24 hours a day. Our biological brains are capable of miraculous things but they are ultimately still biological and can be affected by simple chemical changes like not drinking enough water.

This is like John Henry vs the steam drill

042-John-Henry-and-the-Steam-Drill-Went-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
1 minute ago, aztek said:

there are computer errors and there are human errors that affect computers, the way i see it, most of computer errors are human errors,  especially when it comes to data entry, wrong data entered, in a wrong field, and computer will get "confused", but we still call it a computer error

Computers are very predictable because their only function is to follow a complex set of rules designed and written by humans. You are spot on that virtually any computer error is due to a 0 being placed instead of a 1 by the programmer. That doesn't give much comfort to any one who's suffered because of a computer malfunction, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

Which is more likely to malfunction first? The computer or the human brain? One can be fatigued or distracted, the other will work in a consistent fashion 24 hours a day. Our biological brains are capable of miraculous things but they are ultimately still biological and can be affected by simple chemical changes like not drinking enough water.

This is like John Henry vs the steam drill

042-John-Henry-and-the-Steam-Drill-Went-

I haven’t had a problem yet in well over 20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Besides how much money is paid for near daily maintenance of planes? 

daily costs are storage, insurance, and in some cases landing fees, it costs us about 20k a year to store\insure our small plane. repairs\inspections\fuel is extra.  leaded 100 gas for our plane costs more than unleaded at any gas station, about 5- 6 bucks a gallon. our tanks are about 50 gal, so 250-300 a fill up,  good for about 500 mile trip.

i know someone who own a plane upstate, he has a big property,  his plane takes off from grass, he has a long strip of land he uses as runway, plane is stored in a barn. his only expense are insurance and parts, and fuel

Edited by aztek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
14 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I haven’t had a problem yet in well over 20 years. 

Then you must take good care of yourself :tu:  I try to eat right and live well but I still get brain fog from time to time. Frustrating

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
4 minutes ago, aztek said:

daily costs are storage, insurance, and in some cases landing fees, it costs us about 20k a year to store\insure our small plane. repairs\inspections\fuel is extra.  leaded 100 gas for our plane costs more than unleaded at any gas station, about 5- 6 bucks a gallon. our tanks are about 50 gal, so 250-300 a fill up,  good for about 500 mile trip.

i know someone who own a plane upstate, he has a big property,  his plane takes off from grass, he has a long strip of land he uses as runway, plane is stored in a barn. his only expense are insurance and parts, and fuel

I had no idea you had a plane, let alone a pilot's license. That's awesome man. I'm terrified of heights and sometimes I wonder if taking a few flying lessons (putting me in control of the aircraft,) is a way to get over that. By the way, I'm going to PM you my GPS coordinates so you can fly by when the apocalypse hits lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I had no idea you had a plane, let alone a pilot's license. 

i mentioned that many times before, we have piper archer that is about as old as i am

Quote

I'm terrified of heights and sometimes I wonder if taking a few flying lessons (putting me in control of the aircraft,) is a way to get over that.

it could work,  the first time will be terrifying, but a 5th time you wont be scared, you should try it.

btw one of the greatest stunt pilots  got into stunt flying to overcome his fear of crashing,

Edited by aztek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
3 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Insurance companies will force people into this. So you are saying the problem of millions of drivers that are out of jobs, no longer paying bills and mortgages, and buying food etc will just work it’s self out cause transportation companies will save money? 

It's a wonder you survived the industrial revolution. 

I'm not necessarily in favour, just curious about your inconsistent values. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

As with electric vehicles, it seems that only a small segment of population is interested in driving one. They just don't appeal to the masses yet. Manual transmissions have almost been phased out completely* but they aren't officially dead because some people still enjoy the experience (myself included).

*in the US. The rest of us can still manage it :P

Quote

Car fanatics are slowing down the onslaught of self driving cars but the numbers are too great too ignore: self driving cars are just safer. @preacherman76 is right about insurance companies. You will pay a premium for smoking cigarettes and another for driving yourself to the grocery store.

Well that is the basis of insurance. The difference is, you understand they are safer. Preacherman76 is convinced they're more dangerous because he doesn't trust technology. 

For the record, this is my mental image if his car right now 

 

69ad1016f2ce5018b4c2fde5853d7fb9.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
5 minutes ago, Setton said:

*in the US. The rest of us can still manage it :P

only because you are not driving as far as we do,   your distances are very short compared to ours,  :D

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
7 minutes ago, Setton said:

*in the US. The rest of us can still manage it :P

Well that is the basis of insurance. The difference is, you understand they are safer. Preacherman76 is convinced they're more dangerous because he doesn't trust technology. 

The difference in car culture between you guys and us guys is like day and night. Here, Ford is phasing out all small and mid-size cars due to low sales. Customers only want pickup trucks and "SUVs" (really just a lifted saloon car). So while you Brits are saving gas and getting by with only as much car as you need, on our side new parking stalls are created longer and wider to accommodate bigger vehicles and bigger people. The roads around where I live are packed with giant vehicles, most of which are carrying only a driver. I drove a small car for 5 years and all I ever saw was the lifted back bumper of the truck in front of me lol

Quote

For the record, this is my mental image if his car right now 

 

69ad1016f2ce5018b4c2fde5853d7fb9.png

:lol: I don't need an iPad touch screen in my center console but I love cruise control and power options

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
11 minutes ago, aztek said:

only because you are not driving as far as we do,   your distances are very short compared to ours,  :D

Point. Do you change gears a lot on the motorway? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
1 minute ago, Setton said:

Point. Do you change gears a lot on the motorway? 

me personally? only from D to P and vise versa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

The difference in car culture between you guys and us guys is like day and night.

that too, however the biggest difference are distances traveled by Americans vs by Europeans,  NY state alone is bigger than England, 54k vs 50k mi2  also people that would benefit the most from electric car, city folks, have no way to charge one, they live in flats, and condos, they have no garage, they park on the streets.  there are very few public charging stations in nyc. 

Edited by aztek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Setton said:

It's a wonder you survived the industrial revolution. 

I'm not necessarily in favour, just curious about your inconsistent values. 

The industrial revolution that created a massive work force? Yeah cause that’s the same thing. Btw I didn’t survive the industrial revolution. I was alive yet.

 

There is nothing inconsistent about thinking the economy is meant for humans. That the work force is meant for humans. What good is automation if it makes most people unemployable? How can an economy work if people can’t actually make money?

My values are as consistent as ever. That involves first and foremost maintaining an economy that is for, by, and of the people.

 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
4 hours ago, aztek said:

daily costs are storage, insurance, and in some cases landing fees, it costs us about 20k a year to store\insure our small plane. repairs\inspections\fuel is extra.  leaded 100 gas for our plane costs more than unleaded at any gas station, about 5- 6 bucks a gallon. our tanks are about 50 gal, so 250-300 a fill up,  good for about 500 mile trip.

i know someone who own a plane upstate, he has a big property,  his plane takes off from grass, he has a long strip of land he uses as runway, plane is stored in a barn. his only expense are insurance and parts, and fuel

Ahh man that’s awesome. I almost went to a helicopter school, but they went bankrupt before I could get in. 

I was speaking more about commercial aircraft though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey
12 minutes ago, aztek said:

that too, however the biggest difference are distances traveled by Americans vs by Europeans,  NY state alone is bigger than England, 54k vs 50k mi2  also people that would benefit the most from electric car, city folks, have no way to charge one, they live in flats, and condos, they have no garage, they park on the streets.  there are very few public charging stations in nyc. 

Road trips in EV's are basically unheard of for the time being. The distance between major cities is huge. Even more so in Canada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
4 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Then you must take good care of yourself :tu:  I try to eat right and live well but I still get brain fog from time to time. Frustrating

Oh me too. It just hasn’t translated into having an accident 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek

there are dozens of trades that do not exist anymore, yet 100 years ago you would not imagine living without those, progress terminated those positions, but created new ones,  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, aztek said:

there are dozens of trades that do not exist anymore, yet 100 years ago you would not imagine living without those, progress terminated those positions, but created new ones,  

It’s been a while, but I’ve seen the numbers of what would happen if tomorrow every truck driver became unemployed. It would be an absolute disaster economically speaking. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aztek
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

It’s been a while, but I’ve seen the numbers of what would happen if tomorrow every truck driver became unemployed. It would be an absolute disaster economically speaking. 

oh yes, but if it does happen it will not happen everywhere overnight, not to mention  why would truck driver be unemployed?  they own their trucks, they get hired to move trailers, or goods,  they will have to buy a self driving truck instead. trucking will not be eliminated as industry.  yes some companies have their own fleet, and use their trucks, 

and fleet trucks like coca cola, or Walmart, ups, fed ex.... still need a person to unload. now drivers doing all that.  i imagine even if their trucks drive themselves, they will still have to unload stuff. so i do not see big immediate impact, not to mention insurance will make transition even slower.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
preacherman76
20 minutes ago, aztek said:

oh yes, but if it does happen it will not happen everywhere overnight, not to mention  why would truck driver be unemployed?  they own their trucks, they get hired to move trailers, or goods,  they will have to buy a self driving truck instead. trucking will not be eliminated as industry.  yes some companies have their own fleet, and use their trucks, but there a lot more independent truckers in USA than  fleet drivers.

and fleet trucks like coca cola, or Walmart, ups, fed ex.... still need a person to unload. now drivers doing all that.  i imagine even if their trucks drive themselves, they will still have to unload stuff. so i do not see big immediate impact, not to mention insurance will make transition even slower.

Most companies have their own fleet. How much is that driver worth to the company when it doesn’t require any skill to do their job? 

From what I understand, insurance companies are already preparing for the transition. If anything, they will accelerate the process. Especially when they start charging more to manually drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Setton
2 hours ago, aztek said:

me personally? only from D to P and vise versa

Sorry, how many times does the car change gears for you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.