Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Turning doodles into art via AI software

7 posts in this topic

Eldorado

This software isn’t groundbreaking exactly — researchers have shown off similar tools in the past, including one from Google that turns doodles into clipart — but it is the most polished demonstration of this concept we’ve seen to date.

The software generates AI landscapes instantly, and it’s surprisingly intuitive. For example, when a user draws a tree and then a pool of water underneath it, the model adds the tree’s reflection to the pool.

Full report at the Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/19/18272602/ai-art-generation-gan-nvidia-doodle-landscapes

At nVidia: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/18/gaugan-photorealistic-landscapes-nvidia-research/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OverSword

Not sure how I feel about this.

• Like 2

third_eye

Guess it won't be long now till there's that multi million dollar doodle sold at some auction somewhere ... with the way things are going at the moment, it will probably be some chimpanzee artist whacking on the keyboard and sucking on a mouse

~

Dark_Grey

"yeah, well, can a computer write a poem? I don't think so!"

Give it enough time to analyze a few hundred different popular poems (should take about 4 nanoseconds,) let it create an algorithm based on the different styles of poetry and "presto".

The pool of skills unique to humans is quickly shrinking. Autonomous cars is just the beginning. Robots are creeping further in to medicine as well. "Radiologist" will be a job of the past soon as computers are better at recognizing individual pixels on an x-ray that you or I would never even notice. We are being outclassed left and right by our own creations.

and then
1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

. "Radiologist" will be a job of the past soon as computers are better at recognizing individual pixels on an x-ray that you or I would never even notice.

Actually, Radiology, Pathology, and any other specialty that requires the interpretation of imaging or optical pattern recognition are, counterintuitively, safer than most jobs.  The reason is that simply recognizing patterns, no matter how well that is done, is only a small part of what these docs do.  Strangely enough, surgeons would be replaced before docs who read films and slides all day.  

• Like 1

Dark_Grey
17 minutes ago, and then said:

Actually, Radiology, Pathology, and any other specialty that requires the interpretation of imaging or optical pattern recognition are, counterintuitively, safer than most jobs.  The reason is that simply recognizing patterns, no matter how well that is done, is only a small part of what these docs do.  Strangely enough, surgeons would be replaced before docs who read films and slides all day.  

AI won't take over every part of every job but it sure seems to be trying. Maybe it won't take over everything but is a Radiologist's salary still worth the same if computers are doing half the work? 

and then
12 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

AI won't take over every part of every job but it sure seems to be trying. Maybe it won't take over everything but is a Radiologist's salary still worth the same if computers are doing half the work? 

That's the point, though.  It isn't the precision of reading gray scales that is essential.  It's the interpretation of what is being seen as well as diagnosing between multiple possible disease processes.  Trust me on this.  The machines may get there someday but they aren't there yet.  If anything, it will be imaging technologists like I used to be that will become minimum wage saps that are only there to help the patient on and off the exam table :(