Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flat Earthers are planning a trip to Antarctica

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Flat Earthers are planning a trip to Antarctica

About time they put their money where their mouth is! Maybe they will return as normal people?!

Nah!!

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

So how will this work?  They measure the coastline of Antarctica and find out you travel more miles going between the US and Moscow Flying from LA and heading west?

They're going to need a lot of money...It's pretty much all research stations and basic infrastructure for those research stations. Good luck getting rooms/finding transport/guides/etc. They're going to have to bring and build their own shelters, LOL. Also, the population is only ~4000 in the summer and ~1000 in the winter.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

I hope they get mauled by a gang of these guys.

Edited by Saru
Image removed due to copyright

I wonder how long it will take them to realise they are going round in circles? 

• Haha 3

Pffft....they don't even plan to walk up to those supposed "walls of the world" and make photos?

milksops...

• Haha 2

and what exactly will it accomplish?  existence of Antarctica does not prove the earth is round. they need to go up 100k feet and see actual earth, and it's curvature.  a trip to anywhere on a ship wont prove or disprove anything. 

They aren't going to walk to the Wall.  they are going to sail around the entire coast of Antarctica to prove it is 60,000 miles long and surrounds the rest of the flat Earth, rather than just being a continent at the south pole.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just hope they don't trip when they get to the edge.....

Once they find someone who is even willing to work with these idiots, which is likely going to be difficult in itself, they're going to have to raise quite a bit of money for this.  This isn't a commonly traveled route, therefore they'll have to hire someone with a ship to travel this route specifically for them.  And given the climate of the region, the route tends to have very rough waters.  Thus, they'll most likely end up paying extra for the trip because of the inherent difficulties associated with the trip. 

It may not be an insurmountable amount, but whatever group is planning this will have to get quite a bit of money for it.  And I also wouldn't be surprised if these guys come up with some reason why they still think the Earth is flat even after going on the trip.  It would be much more cost effective for them to send up a weather balloon with a camera (with no fish eye obviously) and then look for the curve on the footage after they recover the camera. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Essan said:

they are going to sail around the entire coast of Antarctica

Please let it be in a dinghy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Once they find someone who is even willing to work with these idiots,

that will be the easiest part,  i am sure for right price they can get some country navy take them around Antarctica.

I admire their unfaltering dedication to their belief, but honestly I think that a few of these guys are strong candidates for a Darwin award!

• Like 5

Yes, flat earthers do seem to place a lot of emphasis and priority on scientific methods and, in particular, on observable facts. The weekend in no small part revolved around discussing and debating science, with lots of time spent running, planning, and reporting on the latest set of flat earth experiments and models. Indeed, as one presenter noted early on, flat earthers try to “look for multiple, verifiable evidence” and advised attendees to “always do your own research and accept you might be wrong”.

While flat earthers seem to trust and support scientific methods, what they don’t trust is scientists, and the established relationships between “power” and “knowledge”. This relationship between power and knowledge has long been theorised by sociologists. By exploring this relationship, we can begin to understand why there is a swelling resurgence of flat earthers.

https://theconversation.com/i-watched-an-entire-flat-earth-convention-for-my-research-heres-what-i-learnt-95887

interesting article about FE society.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Talion78 said:

Do they intend to just keep walking in a straight line until one of them drops off the edge?

That was my first thought. You bet me to it. :lol:

• Like 1

Total idiots, obviously more money than sense. You only have to read basic physics to see how idiotic these people are. Have fun idiots.......

They obviously don’t get the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force. Total idiots.

I had a look at my World Atlas. It has an excellent, large map of Antarctica, which takes up 8 pages. This continent contains mountain ranges, separate peaks, measured elevations, and human-made landmarks throughout. It's roughly circular and approximately centered on the South Pole. It measures out at something around 2750 miles across, on average.  

If they're expecting to travel around the Antarctic coast, the edge of the world, as they see it, they're going to be badly disappointed! The circumference distance will come out to something like 8600 miles. This is far too small to enclose the known, measured world, and far, far short of the 60,000 miles they reportedly expect.  

Edited by bison

3 hours ago, aztek said:

that will be the easiest part,  i am sure for right price they can get some country navy take them around Antarctica.

If they raise enough money, someone will definitely do it.  But it's going to be very expensive to say the least, so I'd guess it would take a good while to raise the money.  Going the weather balloon route would be WAY more cost effective.  Would literally be a fraction of the price.  And also, given the climate of the region, the possibility of icebergs, etc., even with today's technology it still would be far from 100% safe.  I just don't get why, if one were looking to determine if the Earth was flat or not, they wouldn't just go the weather balloon route.  They'd see the curve that way.  Or even go to the beach and look for the tops of sails or masts being visible when the rest of the ship isn't.  If one were located near the coast, one could literally do that test for free and the added bonus of not having to worry about getting caught in a bad storm and drowning in ****ing Antarctica.

Though, I guess if they were smart enough to think of these types of things, they'd probably be able to figure out that the Earth is round. To be honest, I didn't trust the government's lines about the round earth myself for a time.  But I figured out that it was round, using a very, very simple test.  That can be done anywhere on the globe.  I looked up at planes flying overhead, slightly after sunset.  I checked the time that the sun set, and I looked up.  There was sunlight shining on the planes as evidenced by the reflection, as confirmed with viewing them with my telescope (203mm Meade Orion x8) while the plane was directly overhead at the zenith several minutes after the sun was beneath the horizon.

I came to the conclusion that the Earth must be round, given the fact that plane (at around 35k feet) had sunlight shining on it slightly after the sun set at the surface.  This is because the horizon at the plane's altitude was slightly wider than the horizon at the surface.  Amazingly, the time at which the sunlight came off of the plane appeared as though it lined up with what the government said in terms of the size of the Earth and sunset times. I performed this experiment around 8 years ago, in New York state during the summer.  To be honest, I have questioned everything, including the shape of the Earth.

I do commend flat earthers for questioning it, I didn't believe the government on the shape of the Earth either.  But after doing my own tests, I found that the Earth is in fact round.  The government does lie often, and they often do make things up about space.  I have been abducted by aliens, and they have LIED their asses off about aliens not visiting Earth.  They ****ing lied about that. 

I've seen the beings with my own eyes and suffered their horrid experiments, been through some horrific **** like having my eyes removed and then placed back in their sockets without any anesthetic during an abduction, and the aliens appear to be especially interested in me.  For some reason, despite the government saying they aren't visiting Earth, they are.  And they have visited ME multiple times.  So, I have two things to say here.  One the government ****ing lies, and they are covering up unimaginable secrets.  Yet given my own research, it does appear that the Earth is round.  Though, I'll admit I was once skeptical, because getting abducted by aliens tends to make one not exactly fall for the government's **** anymore.  

Edited by BuddingPsychic1111