Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is incompatible with science

Only_

12 hours ago, pallidin said:

Sci-nerd actually describes the "first camp" on this issue. That multidimensional reality exists but is so small that is contained in the quantum realm, and thus does not affect anything else.

The second camp suggests that multidimensional reality is not restricted in such manner.

Curiously, both are mathematically suggested but neither one has been formalized with empirical standings... yet.

The second camp is mainly a Hollywood creation. QM is what Sci Nerd is referring to and you always confuse the two. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pallidin said:

So, let's first attack the important basic issue... "do multidimensions exists in the first place?"

I'd say height, width and length exist.

You should be asking yourself; "Why can't I find out what a dimension is?"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

I'd say height, width and length exist.

You should be asking yourself; "Why can't I find out what a dimension is?"

Silly humans, believing Reality exists only in the 3+1 dimensions.

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

The second camp is mainly a Hollywood creation. QM is what Sci Nerd is referring to and you always confuse the two. 

Ah, you must be a string theorist adherent.

That's cool, always love alternative theory.

Oh wait, that must mean that you believe in extended dimensions!!!

Progress...

10 hours ago, pallidin said:

Silly humans, believing Reality exists only in the 3+1 dimensions.

Silly pallidin, doesn't know what a dimension is.

• Like 5

If there is a Heaven, and I think there is, it isn't going to be a "dimension". It is going to be a parallel universe, or a pocket universe. Or a number of interconnected pocket universes.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

If there is a Heaven, and I think there is, it isn't going to be a "dimension". It is going to be a parallel universe, or a pocket universe. Or a number of interconnected pocket universes.

"If" there is a heaven, does it really matter what it is? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

"If" there is a heaven, does it really matter what it is? 

Nope. Could be anywhere. Even what is promised is subjective.

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Nope. Could be anywhere. Even what is promised is subjective.

It could even be the dream before the nothing. 

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

It could even be the dream before the nothing. 

I saw a headline that neurons can keep firing for several minutes after overall brain activity stops.

An infinity in a moment?

2 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

An infinity in a moment?

Perhaps. That final bit of dreaming before the forever darkness. 

Nothing does not and cannot exist ...not forever, not for an instant.   ....just a thought .

48 minutes ago, lightly said:

Nothing does not and cannot exist ...not forever, not for an instant.   ....just a thought .

How is it so ?

6 hours ago, Habitat said:

How is it so ?

Well absolute zero and a true vacuum are impossible, that's why and how....... well we don't know how.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I saw a headline that neurons can keep firing for several minutes after overall brain activity stops.

An infinity in a moment?

Not just minutes. It would appear that some activity can be restored to brains that have been "dead"  for several hours

.Scientists have restored cellular function in 32 pig brains that had been dead for hours, opening up a new avenue in treating brain disease—and shaking our definition of brain death to its core. Announced on Wednesday in the journal Nature, researchers at the Yale University School of Medicine devised a system roughly analogous to a dialysis machine, called BrainEx, that restores circulation and oxygen flow to a dead brain.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/04/pig-brains-partially-revived-what-it-means-for-medicine-death-ethics/

On 4/21/2019 at 2:04 AM, DieChecker said:

I can't see how Paladins ideas work with it. As Rlyeh said, he doesn't seem to understand dimensions. Worst God of the gaps argument I have seen in a while. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:01 PM, Mr Walker said:

Not just minutes. It would appear that some activity can be restored to brains that have been "dead"  for several hours

.Scientists have restored cellular function in 32 pig brains that had been dead for hours, opening up a new avenue in treating brain disease—and shaking our definition of brain death to its core. Announced on Wednesday in the journal Nature, researchers at the Yale University School of Medicine devised a system roughly analogous to a dialysis machine, called BrainEx, that restores circulation and oxygen flow to a dead brain.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/04/pig-brains-partially-revived-what-it-means-for-medicine-death-ethics/

Not just pigs either. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/mind/when-you-die-you-know-youre-dead-as-your-brain-keeps-working-for-some-time-research-shows/news-story/8c1b4dc811db1f6738c0deee12a4dd48

On 21/03/2019 at 4:56 AM, ChrLzs said:

How about using your own words - summarise why it is incompatible, and offer your opinion. 

I made the mistake of visiting and immediately noticed that he himself says the award is NOT about his views on atheism, and  .... he is an agnostic.  What's worse is that the statement he makes about belief in his interview, makes virtually no logical sense whatsoever.

Talk about clickbait.  It ain't no blow to anything....  Me, I just don't believe in anything for which their is no observable evidence.  And no, things do NOT have to have a purpose (slaps arm to kill a mosquito)...

LOL. I bet there are things you believe in with out any observational evidence and you will have accepted purely on the basis of a reliable witness report. You will have not observed most of the things you accept, what you accept are reliable testaments, that's all. So get off your high horse. 

Edited by Khanivore
  • Like 1

On 21/03/2019 at 12:28 PM, psyche101 said:

Some say there is no difference. Personally I feel new atheism is more well supported and confronting. Militant atheist is another well used term for pretty much the same thing. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism

New atheism is the same old tripe, regurgitated and repackaged a little different, the philosophical premises and flaws remain, there is no new atheism, it's just being propagated and repackaged differently. Militant atheists are simply philosophically inept atheists. Clueless Muppets. 

Edited by Khanivore

On 23/04/2019 at 4:26 AM, psyche101 said:

I can't see how Paladins ideas work with it. As Rlyeh said, he doesn't seem to understand dimensions. Worst God of the gaps argument I have seen in a while. 

Yes a bad God of the gaps argument. The irony is the topic is related to and discussing is totally devoid on any empirical data, scientific proof and purely based on axioms and conventions which they themselves can't be proven via the scientific method itself, it's pure belief based on axioms that can't be proven by the method you uphold as the highest standard of knowledge. Irony at its best, claiming one is arguing with the God of the gaps argument about a topic with no sound scientific basis. Both sides taking a leap of faith. Hahaha 

On 21/03/2019 at 6:12 PM, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Science is looking at the evidence and comming up with an answer that fits the evidence.

Atheism is not believing in a god(s) because there is not sufficient evidence.

I would say that atheism is perfectly compatible with science.

Lets face it, religion will never be scientific until such a time that testable evidence is presented and proved to be true. I'm not saying that theism is wrong, I'm saying its unproven, but trying to wrap it is a cloak of science just doesn't work. This is why most theists don't even try to do so.

You said theism unproven, does that mean atheism is proven? 

On 22/03/2019 at 6:04 AM, Habitat said:

There is nothing scientific about talking about the probability of a God. Total BS

God is beyond the remit and scope of science, it only deals with the physical reality, an inductive method, explains how things work and has no say on the why. How do expect science to prove the metaphysical when it can only deal with the physical? 

On 22/03/2019 at 10:06 PM, Podo said:

That's...pretty bad logic. There isn't an equal chance of any given thing being real vs not being real. I can say that there's no reason to believe that a leprechaun exists without violating the scientific method, because there is no logical reason to think that a leprechaun exists. The same can easily be said for any given deity, since there's about as much evidence for that as there is for leprechauns. Or unicorns. Or Spiderman. Or whathaveyou. The existence or nonexistence of deities is on par with any other fantastic claim: show us the evidence, give a REASON for the idea to be considered. So far, there is nothing beyond ancient storybooks.

I bet you some what believe in a multivesrse, dimensions, infinite number of universes? Can you confirm this? 

On 22/03/2019 at 10:51 PM, Habitat said:

No, just bad and limited thinking on your part. Anyone who has any real mental capacity for thinking on those matters, is not captive to the utter stupidity that leprechauns and comic book characters might be real, or have any value as a candidate to fill the void that is, the "riddle of existence", which is the only reason that the idea of a God still looms large. Seeing there is no logical solution either in theory or practice, clearly God is not a matter for logical dissection, so any rational assessment is impossible, and thus also, calculations of probability, based on "rational" assumptions. The smart man can see there is nothing to be said, other than admit that God is just a label given to whatever fills that aforementioned void, and leave it at that. Probability has nothing to do with the matter, hence saying "God" is unlikely, is meaningless, and unscientific.

Can you elaborate further on this explain in more detail what you actually mean how you arrived to this conclusion? 

"Seeing there is no logical solution either in theory or practice, clearly God is not a matter for logical dissection, so any rational assessment is impossible, and thus also, calculations of probability, based on "rational" assumptions."

On 22/03/2019 at 11:17 PM, Habitat said:

That is why religion exists, because reason and logic cannot answer the "riddle of existence". That fact is quite important in society, because the smooth functioning of the psyche requires there be a "something" rather than a "nothing" in that gap, no matter how inadequate that gap-filler be. Those of your bent may fill the gap with fantasies that science will one day fill that gap, others fill it with fantasies of religious flavours. Others "solve" the problem by addictions, or displacement though busyness and engagement in the world. Some are seemingly dumb enough to think there is no gap. Ignorance for them, may be bliss !

Please explain how you conclude that rationale and logic cannot employed for reasoning of God's existence, if it can be applied to deny the existence then by the same token both can be used to make an argument for it too. It's not the psyche, but the collective human experience, history, maths, science etc that lead us to the thinking that there must be something rather than nothing and the case can be made philosophically, metaphysically, ontological, rationally and logically. So I'm interested why you think otherwise. 

On 22/03/2019 at 11:36 PM, Habitat said:

We don't know that, and you appear to imply that a rational "solution" is possible, you are in the game of assigning probabilities, I think it the last word in arrogance to be assigning a probability to a proposition that can't even, in principle, be defined. 

You assign probabilities in science all the time, probability related to cosmic events stipulated by science, game of probability is ok if used in scientific context? 

19 minutes ago, Khanivore said:

I bet you some what believe in a multivesrse, dimensions, infinite number of universes? Can you confirm this? 

That man you just made is one of straw.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked