Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is incompatible with science

Only_

19 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's what I call a thought-form. It's a mental construct of something or someone. A shadow of them so to speak. There are times when strong emotions might "manifest" them in certain ways. A phantom smell, a whisper, ghost, dreams. We believe these things are real spirits, but it is just a memory being relived.

Yup, my point can be  a normal aspect of acute grieving , nothing woo about it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Yup, my point is it is normal for our brains, nothing woo about it. 

Not everyone's. The only thing I sense and keenly feel of the dear departed is their absence. I envy you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Simply put, there is not a ghost of a chance (get it, joke ?) you are right here, several others in the family also reported "happenings", and the parallel in some cases was quite stark. But the greater volume of it fell to me. Nothing to do with hallucinating, " grief madness" or any other "rational" explanation. That you have the compelling need to believe it is, is the only matter here that you ought ponder, really. That attitude is very common among posters here, which should be no surprise, were they comfortable to just leave it as an anecdote about which no judgement could accurately be made, they would never be heard from. Just as I would never have been heard from, if I did not know what I now know. There would be no incentive for me to ever appear here. But there are many appearing here out of largely unconscious, but strong internal motives.

What do you now know, that you didn’t know? 

Habitat, you are not open to looking at the many ways one can see this, you think that “your”subjective conclusion is the right one.

I will leave you to it.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Habitat said:

At least your wrong-headedness is consistent, that I will grant. There is no science that does what you so badly want it to do, in your madness you really give science a bad name by claiming there is this a scientific  consensus that agrees with you, that is just lies.

The science is not lies Hab, your in a delusion of denial. The science had been presented clearly. You have had more than enough opportunity to refute it. Yet you need to resort to saying its a lie just to lie to yourself. Nobody seems to be joining you in your delusion. 

You insult science pretending it doesn't exist. You're not fooling anyone Hab, I doubt your belligerent bluster even convinces you. 

44 minutes ago, Habitat said:

And if your case relies on conflating my stories with the rather different ones of another poster, you are becoming more desperate.

Its a fair comparison. You might not be able to see it because you don't want to, just like you pretend physics doesn't exist  but some giant afterlife morse code office does. I actually doubt that you could look any more credulous than you do right now. All well and good for you to accept those wild claims as exaggeration, yet ironically can't see yourself doing exactly the sane thing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Not everyone's. The only thing I sense and keenly feel of the dear departed is their absence. I envy you.

You, myself, and everyone for the most part will have someone to miss us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

We all grieve differently. You are a diligent loyal keeper of memories of those you have lost, who devotes himself to honoring them, I envy you this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

of minds far greater than yours who refute your predetermined conclusions. 

Not pre-determined conclusions at all, and please desist with "arguments from authority", if you want to bring science into it.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

What do you now know, that you didn’t know? 

Habitat, you are not open to looking at the many ways one can see this, you think that “your”subjective conclusion is the right one.

I will leave you to it.

You seem to have the dreaded "pre-determined" conclusion all wrapped up with a bow on it, so let's not disturb your "certainty" any more.

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The science is not lies Hab, your in a delusion of denial. The science had been presented clearly. You have had more than enough opportunity to refute it. Yet you need to resort to saying its a lie just to lie to yourself. Nobody seems to be joining you in your delusion. 

You insult science pretending it doesn't exist. You're not fooling anyone Hab, I doubt your belligerent bluster even convinces you. 

Its a fair comparison. You might not be able to see it because you don't want to, just like you pretend physics doesn't exist  but some giant afterlife morse code office does. I actually doubt that you could look any more credulous than you do right now. All well and good for you to accept those wild claims as exaggeration, yet ironically can't see yourself doing exactly the sane thing. 

The science doesn't exist, and anything that parades as such, is fraud. Comparing my story with that of  Mr Walker is just your way of trying to discredit me, by saying, "look, this is obvious guff, therefore what you say must be of the same ilk". Wholly unscientific, I have far more adherence to science that you have ever had.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You poor devil, forced to keep bringing Mr Walker into your attacks on me.

LOL you really can't see why??? 

Do you honestly think that your claims are any more sensible or believable? 

At least you seem to understand the perspective if not the application. 

small-violin.gif

36 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Yes, the "UFO" story which is now over 40 years old, I have never claimed to anyone was an alien spacecraft, even back then. The other witness, who I lost contact with years ago, and may be dead, was adamant it was. And was wont to tell everyone who would listen, just that. I can't say what it was, but I would say 90% of people would have defaulted to that explanation. This, though, is what I have always maintained, there was no mundane explanation for what was seen that day.

And you deployed the same nonsensical argument from ignorance way back then. 

You have always defaulted to the whacky Hab. Your not fooling anyone. Superstition and wild claims obviously appeal to you. You just seem to have a hard time admitting that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Thank you for your kind words, my poor boy, this is not what you want for them,, but life is brutal. 

You raised, a man, one who loves his mother and your pride for him and sympathy, will brace him up and see him through. I don't know his nature, what he's like, but sometimes even a grown man needs a good cry and you are probably the only woman he'd let see his tears. If he hasn't already, afford him the opportunity, if you think he needs it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

LOL you really can't see why??? 

Do you honestly think that your claims are any more sensible or believable? 

At least you seem to understand the perspective if not the application. 

small-violin.gif

And you deployed the same nonsensical argument from ignorance way back then. 

You have always defaulted to the whacky Hab. Your not fooling anyone. Superstition and wild claims obviously appeal to you. You just seem to have a hard time admitting that. 

Lightweight, and needy. That sums you up. Where the need to believe something over-rides adherence to the truth, there is nothing but endless error. Man up and admit you simply don't know the truth of these matters, which for a person with the right attitude, is no hardship, but for someone as pre-invested as you, can be a painful realisation.

15 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Not pre-determined conclusions at all,

tenor.gif

Who do you think actually believes that??????????? 

15 minutes ago, Habitat said:

and please desist with "arguments from authority", if you want to bring science into it.

Physics is not an argument from authority. Its a stranger to you sure, but not argument from authority. Its fact. 

And you clearly fear it. And it's obvious as to why. 

Do  you have an argument against the physics because all I have seen is lying about physics, beligirent hand waving and foot stamping. You seem to have a very short temper Hab. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

We all grieve differently. You are a diligent loyal keeper of memories of those you have lost, who devotes himself to honoring them, I envy you this.

I wish it were so. I feel shackled, weighted down by them. I'm not yet old enough to live on memory alone. The constant reminder of absence is telling on me. I'll have to leave this house behind before long.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's what I call a thought-form. It's a mental construct of something or someone. A shadow of them so to speak. There are times when strong emotions might "manifest" them in certain ways. A phantom smell, a whisper, ghost, dreams. We believe these things are real spirits, but it is just a memory being relived.

I figured out they were thought-forms for people when I tired to "connect" with my sister and son and got nothing. You have to have a believers mindset. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You raised, a man, one who loves his mother and your pride for him and sympathy, will brace him up and see him through. I don't know his nature, what he's like, but sometimes even a grown man needs a good cry and you are probably the only woman he'd let see his tears. If he hasn't already, afford him the opportunity, if you think he needs it.

Ahh thank you, yes, he does talk to his momma and cries when he needs too.

He has a strong support system too.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

tenor.gif

Who do you think actually believes that??????????? 

Physics is not an argument from authority. Its a stranger to you sure, but not argument from authority. Its fact. 

And you clearly fear it. And it's obvious as to why. 

Do  you have an argument against the physics because all I have seen is lying about physics, beligirent hand waving and foot stamping. You seem to have a very short temper Hab. 

You guys must feel like you've met your Bizarro Universe counterpart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

Ahh thank you, yes, he does talk to his momma and cries when he needs too.

He ha a strong support system too.

Are we talking about your youngest?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Are we talking about your youngest?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

You are just an all-round bad judge, but things can change for you if you release the death-grip you have on the idea that science, or anything else, has these matters in a box. Simply not the case, nor ever likely to be. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The science doesn't exist, and anything that parades as such, is fraud.

CALTECH is not fraud. Physics is not fraud. That's proven. It clearly offers more than enough information to refute your afterlife superstition, which is not proven. Your fire and brimstone approach is simply laughable in this day and age. 

What is fraud is you claiming the science doesn't exist, and that you know more than the world's leading physicists. You have outright lied time and again about these aspects to support your bluster. You seem to be the only poster who doesn't clearly recognise this whilst in your own little world devoid of science and knowledge. 

Is the embarrassing fact that the physics escaped you entirely part of your bad and childish attitude? 

19 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Comparing my story with that of  Mr Walker is just your way of trying to discredit me, by saying, "look, this is obvious guff, therefore what you say must be of the same ilk". Wholly unscientific, I have far more adherence to science that you have ever had.

You have already discredited yourself, you don't need any help from me on that front. Your afterlife tales and claims about science that exists not existing are as every bit as unbelievable and ridiculous as those claims. 

Has that perspective not dawned on you yet? Do you actually think you look more credible than the people who claim such wild flights of fahtasy as real? Your part of the nutter team weather you acknowledge or object to that. And its all your own doing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I wish it were so. I feel shackled, weighted down by them. I'm not yet old enough to live on memory alone. The constant reminder of absence is telling on me. I'll have to leave this house behind before long.

I got that way at Helen’s sometimes making the move is the catharsis one needs. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

Yes.

This best friend was left behind when he enlisted. Must have been a dependency of sorts. Maybe you son was his only friend or something? Is he having guilt issues over it? Not his fault. He didn't know it would happen. Now there I go again, off on lark. Sorry, I just remember how hard it was when my best friend went to a different college.

22 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Lightweight, and needy. That sums you up. Where the need to believe something over-rides adherence to the truth, there is nothing but endless error. Man up and admit you simply don't know the truth of these matters, which for a person with the right attitude, is no hardship, but for someone as pre-invested as you, can be a painful realisation.

Habit it is you who needs to man up and admit that you don’t know at all that you simply wish on faith that your take is the “one.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Your part of the nutter team weather you acknowledge or object to that. And its all your own doing. 

One is unruffled by such remarks, when in possession of the truth.

• The topic was locked