Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is incompatible with science

Only_

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Of what? Your navel? Faith is something you can't prove to anyone else--which is perfectly fine, just don't expect any medals for it.

If I see a burglar trying to climb through my window, that is objective proof to me, there is no faith involved, though I can't produce any evidence, he had gloves on and didn't leave prints !

Just now, Habitat said:

Not at all, scoffers are not sceptics, they have made up their minds. Or wish they could !

Of course they have--that's why they are here--this is their backyard. The hall has been rented and the orchestra engaged and, Alas! Poor Habitat has two left feet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

God hides things only tells the “special folks”

It is not my doing if that is the case. That you reject it as a possibility, is again, only a commentary on you.

21 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I am perfectly at home with science. Pseudo-science no.

You're peddling something worse than pseudo science. You're actually preaching your own personal religion. 

There is no science that contradicts an afterlife.

Yes there is. Physics. 

Which comes as no surprise to me, knowing what I know.

Just like Walker who claims to know God is real and an advanced alien. 

Peas in a pod. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

When it comes to the afterlife, when it comes to God, there is no evidence of a return on investment. There are no guarantees. Risk is involved when investing.

If they invest in something other than the afterlife, other than God, then if an investment (that wasn't made) in the afterlife pays off, they lose.

That's the difference. 

Oh hogwash, why do you care if someone else doesn’t want to risk  the investment? What is it to you?

Will you are not honest, what do you really want to say? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Of course they have--that's why they are here--this is their backyard. The hall has been rented and the orchestra engaged and, Alas! Poor Habitat has two left feet.

A  true sceptic has doubts, but does not draw a conclusion. The anti-woo ratbags have a distinct per-disposition to rush to negative judgement ! They aren't sceptics, I am far more the sceptic.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Habitat said:

If I see a burglar trying to climb through my window, that is objective proof to me, there is no faith involved, though I can't produce any evidence, he had gloves on and didn't leave prints !

That's a real possibility and provable by collateral evidence and, thus a poor analogy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, psyche101 said:

Just like Walker who claims to know God is real and an advanced alien

There you go, a desperate attempt to discredit me by a false comparison.

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

That's a real possibility and provable by collateral evidence and, thus a poor analogy.

Not provable if there is no other witness or evidence.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is not my doing if that is the case. That you reject it as a possibility, is again, only a commentary on you.

Ha ha ha ha ha...

You are blowing smoke out your ego.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

A  true sceptic has doubts, but does not draw a conclusion. The anti-woo ratbags have a distinct per-disposition to rush to negative judgement ! They aren't sceptics, I am far more the sceptic.

Sure, when pigs fly. Habitat, you've already admitted you believe things you can't prove and that you can not produce any evidence to back any of them up. Sounds like one too many kangas banged off the old bonnet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

There you go, a desperate attempt to discredit me by a false comparison.

Well you finally got your 15 minutes of fame and you are the shadow of MW.

Yawn.

• Haha 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

Ha ha ha ha ha...

You are blowing smoke out your ego.

Nope, the great irony here is that there are a bunch of people claiming that I am pretending to non-existent knowledge, when it is  clear to me, that they are guilty of that very  thing, pretending to know that I don't have that knowledge. Only ego allows such presumption. You don't, and cannot know whether I am being truthful, and are defaulting to "untruthful" or "deluded". But, perhaps ignorance is bliss.

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Sure, when pigs fly. Habitat, you've already admitted you believe things you can't prove and that you can not produce any evidence to back any of them up. Sounds like one too many kangas banged off the old bonnet.

That rant is more a commentary on you. I certainly believe quite a bit I can't prove, and anyone who doesn't, is off their cruet.

6 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Well you finally got your 15 minutes of fame and you are the shadow of MW.

Yawn.

Nothing to do with MW

I've never seen so many people craving to believe that something does not exist. As if it is a matter of great importance to them. Understand why you have that attitude, and the resolution will come to you. What folly it is, to try and prove something like this in the negative.

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Nope, the great irony here is that there are a bunch of people claiming that I am pretending to non-existent knowledge, when it is  clear to me, that they are guilty of that very  thing, pretending to know that I don't have that knowledge. Only ego allows such presumption. You don't, and cannot know whether I am being truthful, and are defaulting to "untruthful" or "deluded". But, perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Knowledge? What knowledge? 

What you have is a subjective interpretation of an personal experience.

Knowledge equals facts, what facts do you have?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

what do you really want to say? 

That there's a reason why they're arguing desperately to be convinced that the right decision is to not invest in the afterlife. To not invest in the existence of God. 

Because if laying up treasures in heaven is the right thing to do, then it will be a disaster to discover after the fact that all the hardwork of climbing life's ladder was for naught. Because of it having been put up against the wrong wall in the first place.

Edited by Will Due

I've never seen so many people craving to believe that something does not exist. As if it is a matter of great importance to them. Understand why you have that attitude, and the resolution will come to you. What folly it is, to try and prove something like this in the negative.

You have offered nothing to consider except anecdotal tales.

Let me say this again, what are your facts for me to consider your claim. 

• Like 2

That rant is more a commentary on you. I certainly believe quite a bit I can't prove, and anyone who doesn't, is off their cruet.

No, you don't believe it--that's your problem. You want to believe it but, that hardnosed Ozie inside tells you it's BS. You want to validate it by getting hardnosed sceptics to admit to the possibility. You're just like every other poor soul I've seen here, spilling their guts about faith in things they can't believe--just like you and you'll fold, eventually, just like they did. Lack of Faith is a very personal problem for you and you won't be able to believe anything--truly believe, without it.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That there's a reason why arguing desperately to be convinced that the right decision is to not invest in the afterlife. To not invest in the existence of God. 

Because if laying up treasures in heaven is the right decision, then it will be a disaster to discover after the fact that all the hardwork of climbing life's ladder was for naught. Because of it having been put up against the wrong wall.

What you have offered me is a rationalization as opposed to the premises to consider your claim.

You are trying to bamboozle and deceive me as opposed to offering me the facts.

You have my attention, shoot.

Argue for god with facts, Will.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

No, you don't believe it--that's your problem. You want to believe it but, that hardnosed Ozie inside tells you it's BS. You want to validate it by getting hardnosed sceptics to admit to the possibility. You're just like every other poor soul I've seen here, spilling their guts about faith in things they can't believe--just like you and you'll fold, eventually, just like they did. Lack of Faith is a very personal problem for you and you won't be able to believe anything--truly believe, without it.

Yes, he will cave like many before him, either he will man up and humble himself or he will disappear like so any others, or go out with a bang like the really arrogant bunch. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Of course, and don't want to understand why they have that predisposition. I'd have said before I became aware, that there probably was a "supreme being" of some kind, but couldn't see much point in speculating, but doubted there was any such thing as an afterlife, I really could not see why. Today I am not in any doubt about the latter, but as to the former, well all bets are off when you see the latter is real.

Will 'understands' you. 

Is that not telling you anything right there??? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Yes, he will cave like many before him, either he will man up and humble himself or he will disappear like so any others, or go out with a bang like the really arrogant bunch. 

To have Faith is to humble yourself, to raise your perspective to the heights of the sky and look down on the tiny, inconsequential speck that is you, an arrogant little speck of protoplasm, a tiny effigy, form from the living clay of life.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You want to believe it but, that hardnosed Ozie inside tells you it's BS.

So it may appear.

• The topic was locked