Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is incompatible with science

Only_

Just now, XenoFish said:

I've noticed a few people like to think of god as a "higher dimensional being", let's say this is so. Do you think our feeble primate brains could comprehend something like that at all? 

Just enough yes.

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Humanity is doomed.

Nah. Just challenged.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Nah. Just challenged.

Yeah, the lack of critical thinking, reason, and logic are quite a crisis situation nowadays.

10 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

God or higher power, same thing. The main point is that the supposed special insight doesn't seem to be there. 

Well. I think that someone getting special insight can happen, but I don't think it comes from forcing god(s) by using secret knowledge. People are blessed, or they are not.

The prophets in the Old Testament generally just had dreams, or words, come to them spontaneously. They didn't generally do anything special for that to happen.

Thus, I'd say mysticism is bunk. Just like sympathetic magic. Or Kabbalah (as i understand it). If something happens, it is not because you made it happen, but that some being is messing with you.

• Like 2

Thread closed for moderator review

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Thread cleaned

Could we keep the discussion appropriate, constructive and respectful please.

• Thanks 3

18 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Well. I think that someone getting special insight can happen, but I don't think it comes from forcing god(s) by using secret knowledge. People are blessed, or they are not.

Of course. We absorb a lot of information on a daily bases. Sometimes we get odd insights into things. A hunch of sorts. That weird feeling you might get in regards to something, might be right. 

The prophets in the Old Testament generally just had dreams, or words, come to them spontaneously. They didn't generally do anything special for that to happen.

Again it's pretty much the same principle as what I wrote above. Dreams can be a window into our minds. 

Thus, I'd say mysticism is bunk. Just like sympathetic magic. Or Kabbalah (as i understand it). If something happens, it is not because you made it happen, but that some being is messing with you.

Can't disagree much. In terms of magick, it's all cognitive. A change in awareness on a subtle level. You just notice things different. Kinda cool if you think about it. Because it can be leverage to our advantage.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 6:10 AM, pallidin said:

Whoa, step-back.

The issue of a God, God's, or multi-dimensional beings is very much a Science issue.

The universe is full of "multi-dimensional" things.  Again you use words you don't know the meaning of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:45 AM, pallidin said:

In the recent past it was virtual heresy to suggest planets outside our own solar system. I remember those times.

Many astrophysicist's refused searching due to "ridicule"

Some were brave enough to search anyway, and here we are with total acceptance of extra-solar planets.

So you see, a good investigator does NOT rely on initial proof... he searches for it, and Science advances.

Your god of gaps keeps getting smaller and smaller.

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, pallidin said:

In the recent past it was virtual heresy to suggest planets outside our own solar system. I remember those times.

Many astrophysicist's refused searching due to "ridicule"

Some were brave enough to search anyway, and here we are with total acceptance of extra-solar planets.

So you see, a good investigator does NOT rely on initial proof... he searches for it, and Science advances.

Ah.... But a hard core atheist will say that such investigation has happened, and nothing was found.

I'd tend to agree if someone was trying to scientifically prove God, they should keep trying whenever new techniques, or technologies, are developed. 

Myself, I feel that God will never be proven, as it goes against how we are to prove ourselves to Him.

• Thanks 1

The problem isn't faith, it is fanaticism. Not all ideologies are equal. Not everyone follows them to the letter. Not everyone twist them to their desire. I feel that most of faith are not the one's that cause real problems. It takes the obsessive believers to do that. Those who want reality to conform to their beliefs. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Of course. We absorb a lot of information on a daily bases. Sometimes we get odd insights into things. A hunch of sorts. That weird feeling you might get in regards to something, might be right. 

But... Might those hunches be from outside you? We assume it is something we noticed/sensed and put together in our subconscious. But is that true, or what we want to be true?

Just now, DieChecker said:

But... Might those hunches be from outside you? We assume it is something we noticed/sensed and put together in our subconscious. But is that true, or what we want to be true?

You need an external stimulus to trigger intuition. As for it being true are not. That probably comes down to our beliefs. If you want it to be true it will be true to you, even if it isn't factually true. 

Sorta how I says, "people will believe what they want to believe, because they want to believe in it." 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The problem isn't faith, it is fanaticism. Not ideologies are equal. Not everyone follows them to the letter. Not everyone twist them to their desire. I feel that most of faith are not the one's that cause real problems. It takes the obsessive believers to do that. Those who want reality to conform to their beliefs. 

What I find interesting about the obsessive religious people is that the normal 24/7/365 type of religion isn't enough for them. They usually have to pile other specifics... rules... mysteries... encounters... interpretations... etc... in order to set them apart. To be special, not one of the flock.

• Like 3

Just now, DieChecker said:

What I find interesting about the obsessive religious people is that the normal 24/7/365 type of religion isn't enough for them. They usually have to pile other specifics... rules... mysteries... encounters... interpretations... etc... in order to set them apart. To be special, not one of the flock.

It's the same with occultism. There are people who's entire lives revolve around it. All day, every day. They want to be special. Maybe to feel superior to others.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

The universe is full of "multi-dimensional" things.  Again you use words you don't know the meaning of.

You're "picking and choosing" words from my statement.

I said that this entire issue IS very much a scientific one... do you disagree?

47 minutes ago, pallidin said:

You're "picking and choosing" words from my statement.

I said that this entire issue IS very much a scientific one... do you disagree?

Of course, studying physical objects is a part of science.

For those interested...

Standard_Model_of_Elementary_Particles.s

As "God" is presumed to be "non physical", since there is no common physical expression, the question becomes...

Are there multidimensions?

In theory this would be required of a "God"

So, the real question must begin with...

"Are there multidimensions beyond our 3+time?"

After all, we can not establish a framework for "God" if multidimensions are excluded.

So, let's first attack the important basic issue... "do multidimensions exists in the first place?"

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Are there multidimensions?

Probably not. It's a mathematical fantasy, with no base in reality.

But if there were, they would be inside particles. So small that they do not affect reality.

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Probably not. It's a mathematical fantasy, with no base in reality.

But if there were, they would be inside particles. So small that they do not affect reality.

Ok, sci-nerd has offered his opinion.

Most valued.

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Ok, sci-nerd has offered his opinion.

Most valued.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Not at all. I value your opinion.

Sci-nerd actually describes the "first camp" on this issue. That multidimensional reality exists but is so small that is contained in the quantum realm, and thus does not affect anything else.

The second camp suggests that multidimensional reality is not restricted in such manner.

Curiously, both are mathematically suggested but neither one has been formalized with empirical standings... yet.

• The topic was locked