Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheism is incompatible with science


Only_
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

 

So, what part of this toxic mythological torture wheel are you hoping to become a part of?  If there is some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then non-existence is the best possible afterlife.

That seems a very pessimistic view. I neither hope, nor fear, about whatever is the reality beyond our perceptions. Those tendencies both mitigate against acceptance of truth, and how can the truth, ultimately, be satisfactorily substituted for ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

If there is some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then non-existence is the best possible afterlife.

 

If?

If there isn't some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then non-existence is the worst possible afterlife.

 

 

Edited by Will Due
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

If?

If there isn't some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then non-existence is the worst possible afterlife.

It's neither good or bad. It's just natural order at work. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, psyche101 said:

It's just natural order at work. 

 

If the natural order at work isn't that there's some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then what?

Could it be deception? 

Could it be fake news?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Will Due said:

If the natural order at work isn't that there's some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then what?

Could it be deception? 

Could it be fake news?

There's many reasons people want to believe in a god including deception and fake news  There's no specific standard. From fundamental ideologies to plain ignorance. Belief in God is not a fact, and is inextricably entwined with our cultural views. God is about as divine as a motor car. A product of human ideas. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

There's many reasons people want to believe in a god including deception and fake news  There's no specific standard. From fundamental ideologies to plain ignorance. Belief in God is not a fact, and is inextricably entwined with our cultural views. God is about as divine as a motor car. A product of human ideas. 

 

I thought you might take it in this direction. What I was referring to as a deception is the false story that God is some sort of tyrant and that the natural order of things is non-existence after death. These proclamations are nothing new and go back for ages and they're nothing more than what we today call fake news. A massive propaganda campaign designed to deceive and confuse.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I thought you might take it in this direction.

Its the only validated and consistent direction. 

Quote

What I was referring to as a deception is the false story that God is some sort of tyrant

That's what the OT says. You are well aware of that so why dismiss it? 

Quote

and that the natural order of things is non-existence after death.

But it is Will. Look around you. Everything dies. It doesn't cine back. Man had this idea that we are super special and death doesn't apply to us 

Quote

These proclamations are nothing new and go back for ages and they're nothing more than what we today call fake news. A massive propaganda campaign designed to deceive and confuse.

That's propaganda Will. You are expressing you wishes and beliefs as if real. I have no doubt the idea appeals to you, but it takes more than that to validate it. Narure had the final word here and it agrees that death is final. Its deceiving to pretend the opposite is true. 

The afterlife idea is the man made fake news. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The afterlife idea is the man made fake news. 

 

What did it cost you when you bought that?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

The afterlife idea is the man made fake news. 

This from a man who claims the primacy of science, but lies spreadeagled on the track, after falling at the first hurdle. The hurdle of not deciding without the data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

What did it cost you when you bought that?

Whatever you deem the price of freedom and greater knowledge to be I guess. 

What did you faith cost you? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

This from a man who claims the primacy of science, but lies spreadeagled on the track, after falling at the first hurdle. The hurdle of not deciding without the data.

Its got nothing to do with me. Its what the best minds have discovered. As noted before, your ignorance does not negate the knowledge. 

But frankly, I don't expect more than mindless babbling from a fundamental who hangs his hat on superstition. If you weren't such a troll, I would pity you. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

What did your faith cost you? 

 

You get what you pay for.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Will Due said:

You get what you pay for.

Unfortunately not always. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Unfortunately not always. 

Quite true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

You get what you pay for.

Tell that to the kid working the register at Wendy's who messed up my order. <_<

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

What did it cost you when you bought that?

 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-27_at_2.52.06_PM.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

 

Screen_Shot_2019-02-27_at_2.52.06_PM.jpg

 

That's a lot to pay for nothing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Tell that to the kid working the register at Wendy's who messed up my order. <_<

 

Should have went to In N Out. 

 

 

348s.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, Will Due said:

If there isn't some sort of totalitarian overmind behind this world, then non-existence is the worst possible afterlife.

Non-existence after death is fine by me.  It is by far, a better than the bizarre, unjust, mythological alternatives presented by cultists.  Is your ego really so immense that you can't contemplate its end WD?

 

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2019 at 8:39 AM, Habitat said:

That seems a very pessimistic view. I neither hope, nor fear, about whatever is the reality beyond our perceptions. Those tendencies both mitigate against acceptance of truth, and how can the truth, ultimately, be satisfactorily substituted for ?

How is it pessimistic to look at the claims of scripture critically, and say "If that is your idea of what an afterlife is going to be like, I want no part of it, because I can read between the lines of this propaganda"?  As to this  alleged "reality" being beyond our perceptions, well if that is the case, then we cannot experience it anyhow, as that which is beyond perception cannot, by definition, be experienced.  As to the notion that there is some "truth" to be found after death, well, the people who seem most invested in it seem far more interested in mythology than truth, and so they reject the most likely outcome, which is a quiet return to the soil, to reincarnate physically into our ecosystems.  It seems like a better gig than praising that beardy sky tyrant all day every day forever, or going to his eternal gulag.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

How is it pessimistic to look at the claims of scripture critically, and say "If that is your idea of what an afterlife is going to be like, I want no part of it, because I can read between the lines of this propaganda"?  As to this  alleged "reality" being beyond our perceptions, well if that is the case, then we cannot experience it anyhow, as that which is beyond perception cannot, by definition, be experienced.  As to the notion that there is some "truth" to be found after death, well, the people who seem most invested in it seem far more interested in mythology than truth, and so they reject the most likely outcome, which is a quiet return to the soil, to reincarnate physically into our ecosystems.  It seems like a better gig than praising that beardy sky tyrant all day every day forever, or going to his eternal gulag.

Accept that nothing can be said or known, rationally, of the Great Puppeteer. Be glad that is appears to even offer a refuge, to those that suffer for their faith, but only if that faith, is in the Truth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habitat said:

Accept that nothing can be said or known, rationally, of the Great Puppeteer. Be glad that is appears to even offer a refuge, to those that suffer for their faith, but only if that faith, is in the Truth.

The best thing about the savage genocidal beardy sky tyrant is that scripture offers such poor evidence that the chances of it being real are pretty much zero, and scripture is pretty much the limit of the evidence for it that exists.  As for it offering a refuge, haven't you noticed how this deity frequently refers to humans using food metaphors?  It's going to eat you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

As for it offering a refuge, haven't you noticed how this deity frequently refers to humans using food metaphors?  It's going to eat you.

It fits well for christianity, afterall ritual cannibalism is an important part of it. Where else do you get to eat the body and drink the blood of your deity ? :innocent:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2019 at 3:29 AM, Will Due said:

 

What did it cost you when you bought that?

 

 

Why should it cost anything to be an atheist ?

You are yourself an atheist in regards to the wast majority of religions. You only believe in one out of thousands.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

It fits well for christianity, afterall ritual cannibalism is an important part of it. Where else do you get to eat the body and drink the blood of your deity ? :innocent:

 

d72719ad24e1bbe9ed42a84640c3683ec5055585ad988e61f5b7a4e9d59e5d37.jpg

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was locked
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.