Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Extinct' cougars sighted in North Carolina

UM-Bot

Perhaps they did see them, of course a few pictures would help,

ps:be sure the picture is out of focus, blurry, nothing to show scale etc, with a cell phone camera you will have to work hard to do it but you can take a bad pic.

• Like 1

Could be people restocking the area with puma,or pet ones released.Pig hunters bring pigs into areas here to hunt,highly illegal but goes on.

• Like 1

I'm sure there are. I expect there are some websites devoted to it. I've been recommended a few from time to time. :mellow: 

• Haha 1

One has been caught on trail cam in western Illinois in 2012. I wonder if the DNR isn't quietly releasing them in certain states to control the deer population.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hawken said:

One has been caught on trail cam in western Illinois in 2012. I wonder if the DNR isn't quietly releasing them in certain states to control the deer population.

:yes: That's exactly what they are doing. 

5a30614b16285_CAT_TRACK_3(1).JPG.82f0fef435174855307b4840e170bfb3.JPG

• Like 3

The historical population is gone... it's Cougar of other populations moving in or being released in the wild.

• Like 2

One was killed in Kentucky, two or three years ago, so it's far from impossible.

6 hours ago, Piney said:

:yes: That's exactly what they are doing. 

5a30614b16285_CAT_TRACK_3(1).JPG.82f0fef435174855307b4840e170bfb3.JPG

There are a lot of Does because most deer hunters prefer the Buck. There's always a report in the local paper where someone hit a deer.

Cougars would have plenty to eat around this parts. The deer are extra big with all the corn crops.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hawken said:

Yeah a game warden told one of my friends that and he also stated they were hybrids, mostly nocturnal and sterile.

I seen one almost 30 years ago and my niece seen one about 10 years ago. I've seen their tracks just recently and yet the DNR denies that they exist.

I'm in southeastern Illinois and there's a lot of creeks and rivers that give the cats a highway to expand without much exposure. As a matter of fact the creek that runs though our farm is Painter Fork and Painter is an archaic name for what locals called panthers or puma.

There's been too many sightings by deer hunters and coon hunters for them not to exist in the bottom country around here.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, openozy said:

Could be people restocking the area with puma,or pet ones released.Pig hunters bring pigs into areas here to hunt,highly illegal but goes on.

Yeah..Here where I am they brought in coyotes to control the deer population..Now they are paying people to shoot them..WTH?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

Yeah..Here where I am they brought in coyotes to control the deer population..Now they are paying people to shoot them..WTH?

People should just leave animals alone to sort themselves out.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, openozy said:

People should just leave animals alone to sort themselves out.

I could not agree more.....:)

• Like 3

you need to get your eyes checked if you mistake a bear for a cougar lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Yeah a game warden told one of my friends that and he also stated they were hybrids, mostly nocturnal and sterile.

I seen one almost 30 years ago and my niece seen one about 10 years ago. I've seen their tracks just recently and yet the DNR denies that they exist.

I'm in southeastern Illinois and there's a lot of creeks and rivers that give the cats a highway to expand without much exposure. As a matter of fact the creek that runs though our farm is Painter Fork and Painter is an archaic name for what locals called panthers or puma.

There's been too many sightings by deer hunters and coon hunters for them not to exist in the bottom country around here.

The one that was caught on trail cam was in Pike county and others in Morgan & Calhoun.  Nobody knows for sure if it's the same cougar or 3 different ones.

The counties are in close proximity with each other. Here's a pic of the one in Pike.

cougar3.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

How can they say cougars are extinct when California has tons of mountain lions?  Isn't this just a cougars coming back to north carolina story.

• Like 2

My god can we just agree there's cougars everywhere, they seem to be a controversy everywhere! As a hunter in Nova Scotia, I, and every other hunter can confirm no matter what wikipedia says there are cougars here. There's dozens of samples of scat in the basement of the museum that have never been tested or are being ignored and it's still considered extinct. Now I'm hearing they believe it never existed in the first place!

Big cats in places they shouldn't be seems to be the largest mystery surrounding cryptids out there nowadays.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 7:04 PM, travelnjones said:

How can they say cougars are extinct when California has tons of mountain lions?  Isn't this just a cougars coming back to north carolina story.

I believe there is, or was, some genetic distinction between eastern and western cougars.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, travelnjones said:

There were 3 subspecies: western, eastern, and the Florida panther.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I believe them, most people can tell the difference between a house cat and a cougar for pete sakes! 

On 3/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, Hawken said:

The one that was caught on trail cam was in Pike county and others in Morgan & Calhoun.  Nobody knows for sure if it's the same cougar or 3 different ones.

The counties are in close proximity with each other. Here's a pic of the one in Pike.

cougar3.jpg

That's a youngster, too, not much more than a kitten. You can still see spots and hints of stripes,the markings of an immature cougar.This suggests that there's a viable breeding population, 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:17 AM, Conspiracy said:

you need to get your eyes checked if you mistake a bear for a cougar lol

Especially in a bar!

• Haha 2

Oh, yeah.. This is one of America's biggest secrets - wildcats in North Carolina.

Hehummm. That's why the football team is called the Carolina Panthers  :)   Who knew!?

• Like 1