Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are there flying dinosaurs in NC?

Unusual Tournament

Are there flying dinosaurs in NC? One woman says she’s seen them 3 times in Raleigh

Cynthia Lee, 20, says she has seen pterosaur-like creatures three times in Raleigh since June. The third, she said she captured in this video while taking an Uber ride to work. Lee drew a sketch of the flying creature she says she saw. 

• Like 1

There were no flying dinosaurs. The fliers were all reptiles. So no, she has not seen any flying dinosaurs.

• Like 7

I personally live in the countryside not to far from Raleigh in NC. I've never noticed flying dinosaurs, could be maybe their city dwellers?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, jamesjr191 said:

I personally live in the countryside not to far from Raleigh in NC. I've never noticed flying dinosaurs, could be maybe their city dwellers?

obviously you're not looking hard enough. 

• Haha 2

Well technically there's heaps of flying dinosaurs almost everywhere on Earth, since birds are a group of theropod dinosaurs and all, so....yes.

If you are talking about the flying reptiles (not dinosaurs) that constituted the extinct clade of Pterosauria then, no. They are extinct. .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

obviously you're not looking hard enough. 

Well thank you Capt for pointing out my failure. Realizing its my fault i will put more time into scanning the horizons for flying dragons, bigfeets, and spooks in general :-)

th.jpg

• Haha 5

Its a fun notion that they exist In PNG they have a lot of reports but then the native people call it a "spirit" in this threads case where is the video she took?

The problem is if these guys existed they wouldnt hide they would need to feed and would be seen a lot, but they arent. anyhoo...lets see her video....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Are there flying dinosaurs in NC? One woman says she’s seen them 3 times in Raleigh

Cynthia Lee, 20, says she has seen pterosaur-like creatures three times in Raleigh since June. The third, she said she captured in this video while taking an Uber ride to work. Lee drew a sketch of the flying creature she says she saw. 

I'm not sure about NC, but there just might be in Papua New Guinea. There is a creature known to the locals as the Ropen.  Some cryptozoologists postulate it may be a relict population of pterosaurs.

• Like 1

The ropen idea of being a pterosaur sure clashes with the fossil record. There are no fossils are the end of the Cretaceous.

They had a fairly worldwide distribution before their extinction.

• Like 2

I looked for the video online and learned that this is over a year old.

I also noticed that the model in the photo posted in the thread has hairs. I thought that only last year there was a study suggesting that pterosaurs may have  had feathers putting the evolution of feathers earlier than the dinosaurs as they shared a common ancestor with pterosaurs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The ropen idea of being a pterosaur sure clashes with the fossil record. There are no fossils are the end of the Cretaceous.

They had a fairly worldwide distribution before their extinction.

Papua New Guinea is an isolated part of the world with many mysteries.  It is one of only a handful of places left on earth including the Congo, the Amazon Rain Forest, and the deep ocean which still could contain unclassified species of mega fauna. I'm not saying I believe the Ropen is a relict pterosaur, just that I am not so quick to dismiss the possibility, however improbable it may seem.

23 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Are there flying dinosaurs

No, just flying foxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lord Harry said:

Papua New Guinea is an isolated part of the world with many mysteries.  It is one of only a handful of places left on earth including the Congo, the Amazon Rain Forest, and the deep ocean which still could contain unclassified species of mega fauna. I'm not saying I believe the Ropen is a relict pterosaur, just that I am not so quick to dismiss the possibility, however improbable it may seem.

Of course there are a few isolated places left int he world. The trouble is that any megfauna is more than likely to  be related to extant species. The large animals found today are whales related to known species, cattle related to known species, and so forth. They are not " ravenous man-eating Pliocene clams "

see the following link

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/smithsonian-barbie/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, openozy said:

No, just flying foxes.

yeah, possibly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

Another tripe report from Jonathan Whitcomb that can be immediately dismissed.

you are just so negative! what do you think of these apples?

Time travel PROOF? 'Time traveller from 2300' saw DINOSAURS in the future - Shock claim

The supposed , who hid his identity out of safety concerns, claims to have been 191 years into the future. Speaking from an undisclosed location in Serbia and behind the cover of a blurred face, the man only revealed his name as Roman.

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/weird/1102396/Time-travel-proof-real-time-traveller-2300-future-dinosaurs-apex-tv

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

While i gave little merits to monsterquest  i did enjoy a few episodes, the one hunting flying creatures in PNG is rather telling, locals were divided, between real or mythical, spiritual, the pterosaur expert, a fellow who has made it his lifes work said how deeply he wished an isolated population would be discovered and went on to state a myriad of reasons he wouldnt bet on it.

One investigator presented a video with dots of lights as proof and an ego driven attention seeking liaisons between locals and missionaries thumped his chest that he has seen many, no pics and described them as dots of light...but was adamant it was pterosaurs.

PNG is a wonderland but if pterosaurs were there we would have good evidence the locals are smart enough to know the value it would have.

Edited by the13bats
  • Like 2

Shes just seeing great blue herons.

We have them here too. When i was too little to know better one flew over and my dad told us kids it was a pterodactyl. It makes a pretty convincing silhouette.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 3

The birds I often think of as pterodactyls are pelicans.

I can certainly see large herons as tricking people.

• Like 1

“I can’t believe that if there were living pterosaurs in North America, three centuries of naturalists, explorers, farmers, hunters, trappers and biologists would never have run across a single specimen, living or dead,” 

Absolutely, but this woman thinks she has seen them.

No, this woman needs to educate herself on what wild life is out there. Start it simple with flying foxes and bats. 

Here is a list of birds which you could see in NC,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_North_Carolina

Her 1st sighting when she was at a bus stop, the 2nd she says she saw a pair of them and the 3rd was while she was in a cab.

But no one else saw it. 

And she is training to be a vet? 

Reminds me of the specsavers vet advert.

We should really just look at the mostly likely reason she has seen one 3 times.    I know there are remote controlled airplanes that are made to look like a dinosaur.   I assume a drone could be dressed up to look like one.   I used to have a kite that was a pterodactyl.  

Here's an airplane you can buy.:

image.png.61a352d37be8db9c44123e092e1c6088.png

• Thanks 1