Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Render

Is Vegetarianism/Veganism truly possible?

5 posts in this topic

Render

Since I was little I've wanted to be a vegetarian.
But I was always made aware of health concerns that could possible be the result of choosing this diet.

Same with Veganism. I knew a friend who was told by doctors she couldn't have children, ever, which was the result of too little nutrition. She was a vegetarian at that time, trying to be Vegan. This was long ago.
So that of course made me doubt again.
Lately more and more articles are popping of of Vegan media bloggers who say they had to eat eggs, meat or fish again. By doctors orders.

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/vegan-youtube-star-slammed-after-she-was-caught-eating-fish-at-restaurant --> Her hormonal balance suffered greatly, and her body was ready to go into menopauze
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/vegan-youtuber-eats-raw-eggs-salmon --> had been experiencing health issues while on his vegan diet. These problems included “digestion issues, depression, fatigue, brain fog, lack of energy,” and “waking up stiff” in his joints.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6756159/NHS-cardiologist-claims-68-year-old-mothers-vegetarian-diet-played-role-death.html --> 
Vegetarianism led to my mother's premature death: Prominent NHS cardiologist claims the meat-free diet played a 'crucial role in her suffering'

What is the truth in this? 
Can you only attempt to become Vegetarian / Vegan under strict (and so expensive) medical care? 
Are these people just unfortunate or went too extreme (but then , what is TOO extreme?)

Does anybody here know more, and if it is in fact possible to become a healthy vegetarian or even vegan?
Is it possible to let your children grow up in this way? Or would that be a death sentence?

Many questions, many doubts. I hope people here have more information.

ouija ouija

I have been vegetarian(vegan some of the time), for 50 yrs and I can tell you that doctors don't need to be involved at all. I have friends who have been vegetarians/vegans for the same amount of time and they are some of the fittest people I know for their age.

Vegetarianism/veganism on it's own would not cause the problems mentioned in the links.

I brought my son up from birth as a vegetarian. He's 38 now. My best friend has two vegetarian children and one vegan who are all very fit and sporty. One competed for her county in running and hurdling another does Iron Man competitions.

Not Your Huckleberry

Healthy vegetarianism is possible, yes, but I feel many go about it the wrong way. Just because something is plant based or has no animal protein doesn't mean it's good for you or provides the spectrum of macro and micronutrients your body requires. Learn what food combinations will provide complete proteins, for example. I feel that most people who suffer on these types of diets are ones who didn't do their research. You may want to consider having some panels done to determine what vitamins and minerals you're deficient in so that you can be cognizant of that and reduce any risks of malnourishment. I'd also consider having some food allergy testing done. 

Also, and this is just personal opinion, but I'd avoid many if not most of the 'transitional foods' you see in the supermarket. Many of them are nothing but artificial ingredients that provide little to no nutritional value. Palm oil is a favorite ingredient for many of these lab made concoctions, but I'd urge you to check out the deforestation rates that are associated with it.

• Like 2

ouija ouija

The media bloggers who say their doctors have told them to eat eggs, meat and fish again: I'm willing to bet that they are lying and simply prefer a diet that includes these items. Which brings me to another point: if you haven't become a vegetarian/vegan yet then I think you are unlikely to do so now. 'Successful' vegetarians/vegans are the ones who adopt that diet because they don't want to be a part of the suffering of farm animals. If you do it for any other reason then it is unlikely you will maintain it for long.

bison
Posted (edited)

Most physicians are apparently taught very little about nutrition in medical school. It does not appear that they are, generally speaking, reliable sources of information about diet in general, or vegetarianism or veganism specifically. This is not to say that no doctors are knowledgable in these areas, merely that it should not be assumed that all physicians are.    

Edited by bison
  • Like 1