Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost sightings reported at US grocery store

Still Waters

She is described as short and youngish -- between the ages of 17 and 30 -- with long, dark hair and light skin. She has blue eyes and was wearing Victorian-era clothing. One shopper at the Wilmington Market Basket says a ghost matching the same description used to roam her house when she lived nearby on Clark Street.

Yes, a ghost. A Facebook group for Wilmington residents which usually features event announcements, posts about coyote sightings and discussions of local issues has been overrun in recent days with a debate on whether the Wilmington Market Basket is haunted.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/wilmington/clean-aisle-3-ghost-aisle-4-wilmington-market-basket

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I wonder if she has a tiny mole behind her left ear, next to her ... never mind ....

~

• Like 2

This reminds me of my step-son's story of a known ghost by the workers of a party store he once worked at. A guy in a grey sweatshirt would go down the liquor aisle but would never be seen leaving the store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"I saw her and looked away to see if anyone else saw her and when I looked back she was gone,"

https://patch.com/massachusetts/wilmington/clean-aisle-3-ghost-aisle-4-wilmington-market-basket

Did this woman not think it might just be another customer? She was gone because she got her bread and was now at the checkout. 

Would have been a better story if she had said she continued looking at her and she just disappeared from her spot.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bet foot traffic has picked up since they've gotten all this free advertising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, esoteric_toad said:

I bet foot traffic has picked up since they've gotten all this free advertising.

Lol. Market Basket does fine business, the old fashioned way: good stuff cheap.

Now that's a free ad :) .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eight bits said:

Yeah but I am going to bet there has been or will be a burst of people just going there to look for the "ghost". More power to them!!!

• Like 1

Shopaholic ghost :-)

On 3/24/2019 at 7:57 PM, freetoroam said:

"I saw her and looked away to see if anyone else saw her and when I looked back she was gone,"

Did this woman not think it might just be another customer? She was gone because she got her bread and was now at the checkout. 

Would have been a better story if she had said she continued looking at her and she just disappeared from her spot.

Sometimes, in my experiences working retail, some people will take off, like a bat out of hell, if there is a sale going on. ;)  

I use to work for KMart. You want to imagine a bunch of people suddenly showing up, just announce a blue light special. In which, I had to do a lot. And there you go. :o 

Although, sorry, .................................... the memories are too painful. :cry:  

;)  

• Like 2

Well, it has peaked my interest in going there, if I am in the area. ;)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 9:07 PM, eight bits said:

I wonder how long it's stores will filter down south here, like Stop and Shop and such. Stop and Shop is a Mass. based company, right?

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 7:37 AM, Impedancer said:

Shopaholic ghost :-)

I have told someone, when I die and if I get cremated, sprinkle me all over a Barnes and Noble. I know, I will be haunting it. :D  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You know, what I think is a bummer, no photo footage. I mean, someone didn't whip out their phone and got busy?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

You know, what I think is a bummer, no photo footage. I mean, someone didn't whip out their phone and got busy?!

From my experience photos are never considered convincing to non-believers anyway. But I, as a believer in the phenomena in general, like to see alleged ghost photos. Shucks, but the tricky part is that you don't know it's a ghost until the mysterious disappearance so you wouldn't have thought to take a picture while visible.

I was reading a post on tumblr when I came across this article.. I took a screenshot of the post and going to share it with you guys. 

Bread2.png

• Like 1

its a real unexplained mystery why with the miriad anedotes about things flying here and there and of course being blamed on ghosts has not once been videoed,

im not talking silly staged fishing lines pulling stuff on some cheesy tv fake reality show im talking a good video by an investorgator showing things flying here and there...

This is a place that seems ripe for investigation. If there are those wanting to put in a real investigation they should be doing it.

So far we have stories, just stories.

• Like 1

Here is a Boston Globe article.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/04/06/could-market-basket-ghost-wilmington-lady-caskets/WlGg0AXn4lame5VsWglSLL/story.html

the ordinarily tight-lipped grocery chain even issued a statement that its locations are “ghost-free.”

Great article about a possible match tot he ghost, a woman named Hiller. Fun read.

But what brought France Hiller renown wasn’t her wealth and the flamboyant ways she used it, but her morbid concern with death. All her life, she told the Globe, she was “haunted, not by the fear of death itself, for she believes in immortality, but by the horrible thought of interment in the earth and the consequent mouldering putrefaction of the body.”

Dreading the idea of decaying underground, the couple agreed that “they must be placed in caskets above the ground,” Berghaus explained.

So began their “Scheme to Conquer Death,” according to a 19th-century Globe headline.

This person seems to have been quite the character

The coverage of her doings was not always — how to say? — fact-driven. Hiller, by various accounts, was an heiress from South America and fluent in ancient Greek and Latin. She said that she knew all the biggest English literary celebrities, and that Queen Victoria herself complimented her on her husband’s funeral.

It seems that there is little to connect the "ghost" sighting to Hiller, but the story of Hiller is fun reading.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 4:53 PM, Princess Serenity said:

I was reading a post on tumblr when I came across this article.. I took a screenshot of the post and going to share it with you guys. 

Bread2.png

One answer: squirrels !

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a site-continuity haunting. Perhaps some research on the building(s) that were there prior to the supermarket would shed more light. Ghosts are simply ethereal 'recordings' of people (alive or dead) that have spent a lot of time In that particular place.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, third_eye said:

I wonder if she has a tiny mole behind her left ear, next to her ... never mind ....

~

Skull?  What's next to YOUR ear?

On 4/26/2019 at 12:12 PM, Jon the frog said:

One answer: squirrels !

Human or animal?

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, stereologist said:

This is a place that seems ripe for investigation. If there are those wanting to put in a real investigation they should be doing it.

So far we have stories, just stories.

Which MIGHT make you wonder why there are no investigators taking this on...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScotDeerie said:

Human or animal?

Most likely animals, still human are animals too... oh damn it's a mess.

The red fur psycho rodent !

• Haha 1