Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A World Without Social Media

LucidElement

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

there will always be flawed/ angry people, dear Sir- social media or not!= social media does not create them IMO;)

Never said it did.  But it makes them FAR more powerful in their ability to cause damage in the world.  Spite and hatred will always be with us.  Having a means to amplify it and give it energy and power is the negative aspect of social media.  No technology is bad, in and of itself.  SM can amplify the best and the worst of human attributes and emotions.  There simply is no doubt of that.  

Edited by and then
spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Never said it did.  But it makes them FAR more powerful in their ability to cause damage in the world.  Spite and hatred will always be with us.  Having a means to amplify it and give it energy and power is the negative aspect of social media.  No technology is bad, in and of itself.  SM can amplify the best and the worst of human attributes and emotions.  There simply is no doubt of that.  

yes, i agree

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Perhaps it's instead the older generations who can't properly adapt to new technology. I'm sure when cars were first becoming a regular thing, that young people lost their ability to tend to horses, but they did so as a result of changing times and technology.

If most communication is done now days online, then perhaps we should value those who are able to so effectively rather than shame them for having lesser skills they no longer require to the same extent.

Did you not read my whole post? 

It is not just the younger generation who can use technology, ALL ages can effectively use it. 

When the computers came out, it was seen that whizz kids were the ones who really knew how to use them. My mother is a bit of a whizz 'kid' on her computer and phone.  

Old and new can use technology. Computers are not new, social media on mobile phones is what is reletively new to us older generation. 

But remember, the reason many do not rely on social media, is because they were born prior to it and made their friends without it and are still in contact with them without the need of social media.

It is a great way to stay in touch with friends or family and certainly has made a great difference to many peoples lives for the better.

Older people do have friends and family too and do know how to keep in contact with them.

I am not shaming anyone.  i have noticed some young people lack face to face communication skills and some have a dependancy to their phone. Humans have adapted over centuries to changes, that is not new, but what is new is these youngters are not so much adapting, but becoming dependant on a technology which is not developing any skills other than being able to chat to their friends through social media.

Thankfully, it is a minority and remember i did say

"i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it."

• Like 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

Did you not read my whole post? 

It is not just the younger generation who can use technology, ALL ages can effectively use it. 

When the computers came out, it was seen that whizz kids were the ones who really knew how to use them. My mother is a bit of a whizz 'kid' on her computer and phone.  

Old and new can use technology. Computers are not new, social media on mobile phones is what is reletively new to us older generation. 

But remember, the reason many do not rely on social media, is because they were born prior to it and made their friends without it and are still in contact with them without the need of social media.

It is a great way to stay in touch with friends or family and certainly has made a great difference to many peoples lives for the better.

Older people do have friends and family too and do know how to keep in contact with them.

I am not shaming anyone.  i have noticed some young people lack face to face communication skills and some have a dependancy to their phone. Humans have adapted over centuries to changes, that is not new, but what is new is these youngters are not so much adapting, but becoming dependant on a technology which is not developing any skills other than being able to chat to their friends through social media.

Thankfully, it is a minority and remember i did say

"i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it."

If we lost electricity for any extended period, there would be chaos for a while but many, especially the youth among us, would discover a whole new way of living and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would come to love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, and then said:

If we lost electricity for any extended period, there would be chaos for a while but many, especially the youth among us, would discover a whole new way of living and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would come to love it.

I think the youth would love it. 

One thing social media can not change is a persons  sense of adventure, and the younger ones are likely to be up for that more than the older ones. Its always been like that. The scouts and girl guides were not created through social media. 

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

One thing social media can not change is a persons  sense of adventure

or people in general..... there will always be a few idiots about, social media or not.

class SM as a kitchen knife:

very useful when used properly/ for what it was invented for;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

or people in general..... there will always be a few idiots about, social media or not.

class SM as a kitchen knife:

very useful when used properly/ for what it was invented for;)

Well said,i like that analogy :tu:

27 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Thankfully, it is a minority

I'd say that is indeed a minority. And if it wasn't social media, it'd be something else like television, movies, or comic books. That would certainly fit my father's description, who was a total nerd that isolated himself from the world using comic books and movies as an escape.

As I said before, correlation does not equate to causation. I'd say that the vast majority of people who do become dependent on technology and lack social skills by isolating themselves in it, do so because of some sort of extenuating circumstances that aren't related to the technology itself.

I suppose what I want to make clear here, is that it's not that technology is making people this way. It's merely a tool we humans use to better do what we've always done for millennia.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, and then said:

LOL, no, people would definitely NOT love being brought back over a century of human progress. That's definately not something to romanticize.

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'd say that the vast majority of people who do become dependent on technology and lack social skills by isolating themselves in it, do so because of some sort of extenuating circumstances that aren't related to the technology itself.

yep, says it all IMO=well put= i agree;)

• Like 1

What is the real difference between this website, this thread, and the people conversing on it, and "social media" ? I can't see it.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

What is the real difference between this website, this thread, and the people conversing on it, and "social media" ? I can't see it.

who's suggesting there's a difference? 

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

who's suggesting there's a difference? 

Ah, um, er, let's see......maybe the people here who say it is a bad thing, but are here using it ?

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Ah, um, er, let's see......maybe the people here who say it is a bad thing, but are here using it ?

a kitchen knife is a bad thing if used incorrectly 

19 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Spoken from a 25 year old's point of view, lol. :rolleyes:

Because my age automatically dismisses my point. :huh:

I may be younger than you, but it's clear with that argument of yours you're acting far less mature.

7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

a kitchen knife is a bad thing if used incorrectly 

You can say that about just about anything, we are presumably having the words "on balance" not needing to be stated.

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

You could have met others in other ways. Your social anxiety and depression did not stop you meeting people in person ( you did not get pregnant through your social media pages, contact had to be made). 

It may have made it easier for you,  but you would not have been a hermit without it.

I WAS A HERMIT WITHOUT IT. 

Please DONT TRY TELLING ME HOW MY LIFE HAPPENED. 

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You can say that about just about anything, we are presumably having the words "on balance" not needing to be stated.

fair enough

8 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I WAS A HERMIT WITHOUT IT. 

Please DONT TRY TELLING ME HOW MY LIFE HAPPENED. 

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimises the bad points made in this thread... all due respect;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimizes the point of this thread... all due respect;)

OR DONT TELL A PERSON WHAT TO CALM DOWN! 

ESPECIALLY ONE IN EARLY LABOUR IN PAIN. 

As for higher case what higher case 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

OR DONT TELL A PERSON WHAT TO CALM DOWN! 

ESPECIALLY ONE IN EARLY LABOUR IN PAIN. 

As for higher case what higher case 

oh ok then, leave it

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

It wasn't an argument - just a statement. No harm intended, it's just that you can't possibly speak of a time "before" social media because for you that time didn't exist. Everyone's got their own opinion on this kind of thing. No biggie. 

Actually I can speak of it given that I grew up in poverty with zero personal internet access or social media until my 20's.

Plus I don't have to have personal experience of life without social media hypothetically speaking anyway. I don't have to experience life without toilets and running water to tell you that modern plumbing is better. I don't have to have personal life experience of life without electricity to know that life with it is far better. And I don't have to live without social media or internet access to know that with it its better.

Just now, Dejarma said:

oh ok then, leave it

NOPE you have no say in what others say mate 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimises the bad points made in this thread... all due respect;)

Never in the history of calm down has anyone calmed down by being told to calm down. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no doubt that the advent of Television was a boon for people who were house-bound, who maybe were sick or incapacitated and could not get out to watch sporting events etc, I really can't see how social media is an evil, we have seen repetitively how toxic ideologies have spread without any social media, it isn't the medium, but the message, that is the problem.