Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A World Without Social Media

LucidElement

Imagine a world without social media. I’m a mellanial and I do not use Facebook and never had a Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter. I was just reading an article that talked about what the world would be like without social media? 

I think a lot less evil in the world. It would be interesting to see statistics comparing overall violence in the world , hostility , crime, etc. before and after the creation of social media. 

I never understood the fascination about living vicariously through others lives. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Things were not "better". They were different. This generation has social media. Tje next will have something melinnials b**** about, ad nauseam. 

• Like 8

We would never know that the Fake News Media are VERY VERY BAD. :( 

When i was a child there was no social media you may wonder if we played with our keys or something ;-) there was computers of course and everything was run from DOS and you downloaded games from data bases. Somehow we managed without it :-P

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LucidElement said:

Imagine a world without social media. I’m a mellanial and I do not use Facebook and never had a Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter. I was just reading an article that talked about what the world would be like without social media? 

I think a lot less evil in the world. It would be interesting to see statistics comparing overall violence in the world , hostility , crime, etc. before and after the creation of social media. 

I never understood the fascination about living vicariously through others lives. 

You'd simply be ignorant of it.

• Like 6

What's wrong with social media? Nothing. People have more or less been the same. Sure, you have some that are addicted to it, but whatever. I don't use it myself, but people are just people.

Yes, bad or "fake" news spreads through social media. Guess what? So does good news; bringing legitimate issues to light; crowd funding for people, business ventures and other causes that may have been totally unavailable otherwise; positive networking; allowing smaller, independent business start ups to thrive, etc. 

Why the **** am I so positive this morning?

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 3

Oh look. People reminiscing of the "good ol days" of yesteryear as if things were better in the past. What great totally original insight people have. Much wow. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Well I come from a time before it existed, and I can tell you from experience that I think life was better before.  People called each other, wrote letters, and stopped by each others' houses. Friends were actual friends...in real life! 

Funny that my best friend who I chat with via social media every day lives on the opposite side of the planet, yet the few friends I ever made in the real world ended up stabbing me in the back.

Physical location and and means of communication mean next to nothing in terms of who your "actual friends" in "real life" truly are.

Life was not better before. People were disconnected. Social media may have escalated some of the negative aspects of humanity, but it's also increased many of the positive aspects of mankind as well.

Overall, I'd say we're better off now.

• Like 2

This is just another "i don't like new technology" thread that pops up every so often

• Like 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

This is just another "i don't like new technology" thread that pops up every so often

People literally said the same things back when the telephone and cars were first invented. It's nothing new.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

People literally said the same things back when the telephone and cars were first invented. It's nothing new.

There seem to be a large number of people on this site with similar feelings

• Like 1

Without it most of the people I friended online and met in person I wouldn’t know. 

My best friend I wouldn’t know. 

I wouldn’t have met my ex and my partner if it wasnt for dating site. 

Its very much a tool for good and bad 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not to mention the numerous civil rights and activist movements around the globe that have been mobilized in large part due to social media and the internet.

You can site examples of negative movements doing the same, but you can't deny the impact of the positive movements that have happened because of it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Things were not "better". They were different.

Absolutely.

My elderly mother has had a computer now for 3 years. She loves it.

She was never close to her much younger sister before, but now they email each other weekly.

The only problem i do think social media has created is with the younger generation who were born with it and do not know life without it. I find many young people can not communicate properly when in person. Many i find do not know how to look you in the eye when talking.

At my work phones are not allowed on the shop floor and we have to remind the youngsters about that. They come out with all excuses and 'lies' as to why they want to have their phones on them, but rules are rules.its a no no.

Seeing their  dependancy on what is happening on their phone is quite worrying, but i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Absolutely.

My elderly mother has had a computer now for 3 years. She loves it.

She was never close to her much younger sister before, but now they email each other weekly.

The only problem i do think social media has created is with the younger generation who were born with it and do not know life without it. I find many young people can not communicate properly when in person. Many i find do not know how to look you in the eye when talking.

At my work phones are not allowed on the shop floor and we have to remind the youngsters about that. They come out with all excuses and 'lies' as to why they want to have their phones on them, but rules are rules.its a no no.

Seeing their  dependancy on what is happening on their phone is quite worrying, but i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it.

Phones have become such a part of our daily lives. Business will have to adapt to people always having phones on them. It's inevitable.. 

6 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Without it most of the people I friended online and met in person I wouldn’t know. 

My best friend I wouldn’t know. 

I wouldn’t have met my ex and my partner if it wasnt for dating site. 

Its very much a tool for good and bad 

You can not miss someone if you never meet them in the 1st place. You know these people because of social media, had you not had sm, you might have met other people instead. It is a different lifestyle. 

Just now, freetoroam said:

You can not miss someone if you never meet them in the 1st place. You know these people because of social media, had you not had sm, you might have met other people instead. It is a different lifestyle. 

Also I wouldn’t be pregnant aka about to be a mom by your logic. No I wouldn’t have met others because of social anxiety and depression. 

My child is what I’ve always wanted. 

• Like 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Phones have become such a part of our daily lives. Business will have to adapt to people always having phones on them. It's inevitable.. 

I am not sure they should. When working, people should not be checking their facebook pages. They have breaks for that.

Yes phones have become such a part of our daily lives, but sometimes they need to be put down, like when someone is driving.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Perhaps it's instead the older generations who can't properly adapt to new technology. I'm sure when cars were first becoming a regular thing, that young people lost their ability to tend to horses, but they did so as a result of changing times and technology.

If most communication is done now days online, then perhaps we should value those who are able to so effectively rather than shame them for having lesser skills they no longer require to the same extent.

3 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Also I wouldn’t be pregnant aka about to be a mom by your logic. No I wouldn’t have met others because of social anxiety and depression. 

Exactly. I spent several years as a hermit without internet access due to PTSD, social anxiety, depression, etc. As you well know.

My social anxiety wasn't caused by social media. If anything it was the lack of any form of online communication that helped to further my isolation.

Correlation does not equate to causation.

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

You could have met others in other ways. Your social anxiety and depression did not stop you meeting people in person ( you did not get pregnant through your social media pages, contact had to be made). 

It may have made it easier for you,  but you would not have been a hermit without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, LucidElement said:

I think a lot less evil in the world.

hows that? social media has nothing to do with the amount of evil in the world= social media allows you to know of the crap things going on of which you'd have no idea about without social media or any media

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I am not sure they should. When working, people should not be checking their facebook pages. They have breaks for that.

Yes phones have become such a part of our daily lives, but sometimes they need to be put down, like when someone is driving.

I don't think anyone's arguing that there aren't times when engagement with real world tasks requires you to be unplugged atm. 

Though I would say that with new technology comes new value for certain new skill sets, and therefore knowing how to properly use the internet and social media to your advantage is increasingly more valuable.

6 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

It may have made it easier for you,  but you would not have been a hermit without it.

Lol, I was. Speak for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

hows that? social media has nothing to do with the amount of evil in the world= social media allows you to know of the crap things going on of which you'd have no idea about without social media or any media

Wait until an event happens to you like what happened to Sandman in DC.  Having an entire lynch-mob online seeking to gut you like a fish could be avoided.  The problem doesn't exist with the technology.  It very much exists because of the flawed, angry people USING the technology.  It is what the military like to call a "force magnifier".  But in a really negative way  :( 

4 minutes ago, and then said:

It very much exists because of the flawed, angry people USING the technology.

there will always be flawed/ angry people, dear Sir- social media or not!= social media does not create them IMO;)

• Like 1