Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
LucidElement

A World Without Social Media

99 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Dejarma
4 minutes ago, and then said:

It very much exists because of the flawed, angry people USING the technology.

there will always be flawed/ angry people, dear Sir- social media or not!= social media does not create them IMO;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

there will always be flawed/ angry people, dear Sir- social media or not!= social media does not create them IMO;)

Never said it did.  But it makes them FAR more powerful in their ability to cause damage in the world.  Spite and hatred will always be with us.  Having a means to amplify it and give it energy and power is the negative aspect of social media.  No technology is bad, in and of itself.  SM can amplify the best and the worst of human attributes and emotions.  There simply is no doubt of that.  

Edited by and then
spelling
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
4 minutes ago, and then said:

Never said it did.  But it makes them FAR more powerful in their ability to cause damage in the world.  Spite and hatred will always be with us.  Having a means to amplify it and give it energy and power is the negative aspect of social media.  No technology is bad, in and of itself.  SM can amplify the best and the worst of human attributes and emotions.  There simply is no doubt of that.  

yes, i agree

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Perhaps it's instead the older generations who can't properly adapt to new technology. I'm sure when cars were first becoming a regular thing, that young people lost their ability to tend to horses, but they did so as a result of changing times and technology.

If most communication is done now days online, then perhaps we should value those who are able to so effectively rather than shame them for having lesser skills they no longer require to the same extent.

Did you not read my whole post? 

It is not just the younger generation who can use technology, ALL ages can effectively use it. 

When the computers came out, it was seen that whizz kids were the ones who really knew how to use them. My mother is a bit of a whizz 'kid' on her computer and phone.  

Old and new can use technology. Computers are not new, social media on mobile phones is what is reletively new to us older generation. 

But remember, the reason many do not rely on social media, is because they were born prior to it and made their friends without it and are still in contact with them without the need of social media.

It is a great way to stay in touch with friends or family and certainly has made a great difference to many peoples lives for the better.

Older people do have friends and family too and do know how to keep in contact with them.

I am not shaming anyone.  i have noticed some young people lack face to face communication skills and some have a dependancy to their phone. Humans have adapted over centuries to changes, that is not new, but what is new is these youngters are not so much adapting, but becoming dependant on a technology which is not developing any skills other than being able to chat to their friends through social media.

Thankfully, it is a minority and remember i did say

"i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Just now, freetoroam said:

Did you not read my whole post? 

It is not just the younger generation who can use technology, ALL ages can effectively use it. 

When the computers came out, it was seen that whizz kids were the ones who really knew how to use them. My mother is a bit of a whizz 'kid' on her computer and phone.  

Old and new can use technology. Computers are not new, social media on mobile phones is what is reletively new to us older generation. 

But remember, the reason many do not rely on social media, is because they were born prior to it and made their friends without it and are still in contact with them without the need of social media.

It is a great way to stay in touch with friends or family and certainly has made a great difference to many peoples lives for the better.

Older people do have friends and family too and do know how to keep in contact with them.

I am not shaming anyone.  i have noticed some young people lack face to face communication skills and some have a dependancy to their phone. Humans have adapted over centuries to changes, that is not new, but what is new is these youngters are not so much adapting, but becoming dependant on a technology which is not developing any skills other than being able to chat to their friends through social media.

Thankfully, it is a minority and remember i did say

"i do believe if social media went overnight, the panic stage would only last a few days and people would adapt to cope without it."

If we lost electricity for any extended period, there would be chaos for a while but many, especially the youth among us, would discover a whole new way of living and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would come to love it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
2 minutes ago, and then said:

If we lost electricity for any extended period, there would be chaos for a while but many, especially the youth among us, would discover a whole new way of living and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would come to love it.

I think the youth would love it. 

One thing social media can not change is a persons  sense of adventure, and the younger ones are likely to be up for that more than the older ones. Its always been like that. The scouts and girl guides were not created through social media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

One thing social media can not change is a persons  sense of adventure

or people in general..... there will always be a few idiots about, social media or not.

class SM as a kitchen knife:

very useful when used properly/ for what it was invented for;)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrimsonKing
5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

or people in general..... there will always be a few idiots about, social media or not.

class SM as a kitchen knife:

very useful when used properly/ for what it was invented for;)

Well said,i like that analogy :tu:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
27 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I am not shaming anyone.  i have noticed some young people lack face to face communication skills and some have a dependancy to their phone. Humans have adapted over centuries to changes, that is not new, but what is new is these youngters are not so much adapting, but becoming dependant on a technology which is not developing any skills other than being able to chat to their friends through social media.

Thankfully, it is a minority

I'd say that is indeed a minority. And if it wasn't social media, it'd be something else like television, movies, or comic books. That would certainly fit my father's description, who was a total nerd that isolated himself from the world using comic books and movies as an escape.

As I said before, correlation does not equate to causation. I'd say that the vast majority of people who do become dependent on technology and lack social skills by isolating themselves in it, do so because of some sort of extenuating circumstances that aren't related to the technology itself.

I suppose what I want to make clear here, is that it's not that technology is making people this way. It's merely a tool we humans use to better do what we've always done for millennia.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
31 minutes ago, and then said:

If we lost electricity for any extended period, there would be chaos for a while but many, especially the youth among us, would discover a whole new way of living and I'm pretty sure a lot of them would come to love it.

LOL, no, people would definitely NOT love being brought back over a century of human progress. That's definately not something to romanticize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'd say that the vast majority of people who do become dependent on technology and lack social skills by isolating themselves in it, do so because of some sort of extenuating circumstances that aren't related to the technology itself.

yep, says it all IMO=well put= i agree;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Funny that my best friend who I chat with via social media every day lives on the opposite side of the planet, yet the few friends I ever made in the real world ended up stabbing me in the back.

Physical location and and means of communication mean next to nothing in terms of who your "actual friends" in "real life" truly are.

Life was not better before. People were disconnected. Social media may have escalated some of the negative aspects of humanity, but it's also increased many of the positive aspects of mankind as well.

Overall, I'd say we're better off now.

Spoken from a 25 year old's point of view, lol. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

What is the real difference between this website, this thread, and the people conversing on it, and "social media" ? I can't see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

What is the real difference between this website, this thread, and the people conversing on it, and "social media" ? I can't see it.

who's suggesting there's a difference? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

who's suggesting there's a difference? 

Ah, um, er, let's see......maybe the people here who say it is a bad thing, but are here using it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Ah, um, er, let's see......maybe the people here who say it is a bad thing, but are here using it ?

a kitchen knife is a bad thing if used incorrectly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
19 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Spoken from a 25 year old's point of view, lol. :rolleyes:

Because my age automatically dismisses my point. :huh:

I may be younger than you, but it's clear with that argument of yours you're acting far less mature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
7 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

a kitchen knife is a bad thing if used incorrectly 

You can say that about just about anything, we are presumably having the words "on balance" not needing to be stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Because my age automatically dismisses my point. :huh:

I may be younger than you, but it's clear with that argument of yours you're acting far less mature.

It wasn't an argument - just a statement. No harm intended, it's just that you can't possibly speak of a time "before" social media because for you that time didn't exist. Everyone's got their own opinion on this kind of thing. No biggie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruby04
2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

You could have met others in other ways. Your social anxiety and depression did not stop you meeting people in person ( you did not get pregnant through your social media pages, contact had to be made). 

It may have made it easier for you,  but you would not have been a hermit without it.

I WAS A HERMIT WITHOUT IT. 

Please DONT TRY TELLING ME HOW MY LIFE HAPPENED. 

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You can say that about just about anything, we are presumably having the words "on balance" not needing to be stated.

fair enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I WAS A HERMIT WITHOUT IT. 

Please DONT TRY TELLING ME HOW MY LIFE HAPPENED. 

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimises the bad points made in this thread... all due respect;)

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruby04
1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimizes the point of this thread... all due respect;)

OR DONT TELL A PERSON WHAT TO CALM DOWN! 

ESPECIALLY ONE IN EARLY LABOUR IN PAIN. 

As for higher case what higher case 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

OR DONT TELL A PERSON WHAT TO CALM DOWN! 

ESPECIALLY ONE IN EARLY LABOUR IN PAIN. 

As for higher case what higher case 

oh ok then, leave it

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
4 minutes ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

It wasn't an argument - just a statement. No harm intended, it's just that you can't possibly speak of a time "before" social media because for you that time didn't exist. Everyone's got their own opinion on this kind of thing. No biggie. 

Actually I can speak of it given that I grew up in poverty with zero personal internet access or social media until my 20's.

Plus I don't have to have personal experience of life without social media hypothetically speaking anyway. I don't have to experience life without toilets and running water to tell you that modern plumbing is better. I don't have to have personal life experience of life without electricity to know that life with it is far better. And I don't have to live without social media or internet access to know that with it its better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.