Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
LucidElement

A World Without Social Media

99 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Ruby04
Just now, Dejarma said:

oh ok then, leave it

NOPE you have no say in what others say mate 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

yeah calm down with all the higher case stuff! IMO your response kinda optimises the bad points made in this thread... all due respect;)

Never in the history of calm down has anyone calmed down by being told to calm down. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

There is no doubt that the advent of Television was a boon for people who were house-bound, who maybe were sick or incapacitated and could not get out to watch sporting events etc, I really can't see how social media is an evil, we have seen repetitively how toxic ideologies have spread without any social media, it isn't the medium, but the message, that is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

NOPE you have no say in what others say mate 

then no one would talk to anyone in a place like this= i suggested leave it.. i'd suggest you do that

Edited by Dejarma
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Never in the history of calm down has anyone calmed down by being told to calm down. :lol:

i don't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

then no one would talk to anyone in a place like this= i suggested leave it.. i'd suggest you do that

 

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

i don't care

 

Well with that I think it's perfectly clear you aren't genuinely trying to calm anyone down. Instead you're just riling them up. :huh:

Anyway, imma leave it at that. I'm actively trying to avoid any unnecessary drama on here as much as I can.

Edited by Aquila King
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

 

 

Well with that I think it's perfectly clear you aren't genuinely trying to calm anyone down. Instead you're just riling them up. :huh:

Anyway, imma leave it at that. I'm actively trying to avoid any unnecessary drama on here as much as I can.

what meant was i dont really care what Habitat has to say- but there ya go, have fun;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
16 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

i dont really care what Habitat has to say-

LOL !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
12 minutes ago, Habitat said:

LOL !

i luv ya really, Habs me 'ol mate;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LightAngel
22 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

Well I come from a time before it existed, and I can tell you from experience that I think life was better before.  People called each other, wrote letters, and stopped by each others' houses. Friends were actual friends...in real life! 

 

Good post! :tu:

However....

Technology isn't the problem.

Flaws in human nature are the problem!

It's how some people use technology that can create problems for them. Some people are addicted to drugs, others are addicted to technology.

If people only know people online, then who will be there if they need help in "real life" etc.?! 

It's important to create balance in our life.

So, control technology ….... never let it control you. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dejarma
22 hours ago, Goddess of the Mist said:

 People called each other, wrote letters, and stopped by each others' houses. Friends were actual friends...in real life! 

yeah, people still do that now what are you on about!? if you honestly think they don't then i've no idea what to say to someone like you, apart from 'you don't live in my world' all due respect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat

Letters ? I haven't written a social letter for many years, they are a victim mainly of affordable phone calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruby04
13 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

 

Good post! :tu:

However....

Technology isn't the problem.

Flaws in human nature are the problem!

It's how some people use technology that can create problems for them. Some people are addicted to drugs, others are addicted to technology.

If people only know people online, then who will be there if they need help in "real life" etc.?! 

It's important to create balance in our life.

So, control technology ….... never let it control you. 

 

Very well said (like most of your posts), online friends can become in person friends. 

There was a case of a guy who only had gaming friends, he suddenly disappeared for a few days and his friends (in different countries) contacted police and had them wellness check him. Turned out guy had bad fall or something and they were able to help him. 

 

My friend Shell I met through a for fun pet page on Facebook, friends for almost 2 years (video and voice calls) before meeting in person.

i hope your day/night is a great one :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LightAngel
11 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Very well said (like most of your posts), online friends can become in person friends. 

There was a case of a guy who only had gaming friends, he suddenly disappeared for a few days and his friends (in different countries) contacted police and had them wellness check him. Turned out guy had bad fall or something and they were able to help him. 

 

My friend Shell I met through a for fun pet page on Facebook, friends for almost 2 years (video and voice calls) before meeting in person.

i hope your day/night is a great one :) 

 

Thank you..... same to you. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LightAngel
4 hours ago, and then said:

angry people USING the technology.  

 

One thing that can get on my nerves is when people hide behind technology, and then offend others for no reason at all!

Cowards!  :D

If you ever meet them in real life, then you would probably see some very insecure people in desperate need of anger management. 

 

14032aa235ec74c9b3bda480a9606e4a--jack-n

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruby04
Just now, LightAngel said:

 

One thing that can get on my nerves is when people hide behind technology, and then offend others for no reason at all!

Cowards!  :D

If you ever meet them in real life, then you would probably see some very insecure people in desperate need of anger management. 

 

14032aa235ec74c9b3bda480a9606e4a--jack-n

Ex friend of my oldest sister her daughter was running her mouth off online (8 years ago), how if she saw my sister or any of my sisters family in person she’d blast them. 

This 16 year old brat and her, ran in to my mom and I said nothing to us. 

Where as I live by say it online or behind their back, make sure you would say face to face. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

I agree and I can be guilty of that myself, especially when I'm particularly angry about insolent posts by others.  I think anonymity is worn by most people like a shield that provides them with unwonted bravado.  Sober people tend to be quite polite when they interact with their peers, simply because they don't want to be called out with consequences for rudeness.  In a mature setting with good moderators and topics that enhance the exchange of valuable, interesting information, social media is a blessing.  Otherwise, it's just an opportunity to vent petty spleens :( 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goddess of the Mist
2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

yeah, people still do that now what are you on about!? if you honestly think they don't then i've no idea what to say to someone like you, apart from 'you don't live in my world' all due respect

You're right that I don't live in your world, and usually the best thing to do when you don't know what to say is to say nothing at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
4 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

I WAS A HERMIT WITHOUT IT. 

Please DONT TRY TELLING ME HOW MY LIFE HAPPENED. 

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

Wow easy Ruby. I was pointing out that you can not miss what you do not know and life can go on without social media. 

Remember the human population did not reach its current population with the help of social media.

4 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

OR DONT TELL A PERSON WHAT TO CALM DOWN! 

ESPECIALLY ONE IN EARLY LABOUR IN PAIN. 

As for higher case what higher case 

Maybe you should be swithing off while you are in the early stages of labour.

Higher case btw means CAPS ON.

Peace. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
4 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

IT WAS ONLINE THAT HELPED ME THANKYOU

Social media has helped a lot of people.

When you have your baby, it will change you again as you should find that the biggest % of your time will be spent with your new child and not so much on social media. ( i hope ). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LucidElement
On 3/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, Not Your Huckleberry said:

What's wrong with social media? Nothing. People have more or less been the same. Sure, you have some that are addicted to it, but whatever. I don't use it myself, but people are just people.

Yes, bad or "fake" news spreads through social media. Guess what? So does good news; bringing legitimate issues to light; crowd funding for people, business ventures and other causes that may have been totally unavailable otherwise; positive networking; allowing smaller, independent business start ups to thrive, etc. 

Why the **** am I so positive this morning?

I believe social media is bad.. it has helped recruit individuals toward terrorist organizations by them being able to express their ideals. It has lead to jealousy, and even cyber bullying which has in-turn led to suicides.

Please spend all their free time on social media trying to get followers and replies at any cost. And sadly, the cost is people arguing, trollers, suicides, even killings.

Lady Gaga was just talking about how she utterly believes that social media is the toilet of the world. But there are for sure more negatives then positives regarding social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LucidElement
On 3/23/2019 at 9:20 PM, Dejarma said:

hows that? social media has nothing to do with the amount of evil in the world= social media allows you to know of the crap things going on of which you'd have no idea about without social media or any media

Social media has a lot to do with evil. Sure it falls on the individual to make the decisions if they want to follow these terrorist organization, but ISIS and other groups use social media to bait individuals to coming to the dark side.

Like i said previously, cyber bullying is a big issue and that leads to suicide for someone who is not mentally strong or does not how to ignore people.

Its not so much the "articles" that are post on social media, its more the comments that people say, the types of brainwashing that goes on through it. The crap talking to people (people think their tough and mighty behind a computer screen or cell phone keyboard but honestly, meeting people in person , the same people that are "bullies" and smart asses... those people in real life i guarantee (majority of them) would never have enough cahonees to speak to someone that way... Social media is primarily a way to shade yourself from the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)

Without social media you wouldn't be able to post this right now lol

I count UM as a form of social media and all the other sties that allow people to find those similar to them in hobbies, beliefs, etc. 

I think social media has done more good then harm. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
14 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

I believe social media is bad.. it has helped recruit individuals toward terrorist organizations by them being able to express their ideals. It has lead to jealousy, and even cyber bullying which has in-turn led to suicides.

Please spend all their free time on social media trying to get followers and replies at any cost. And sadly, the cost is people arguing, trollers, suicides, even killings.

Lady Gaga was just talking about how she utterly believes that social media is the toilet of the world. But there are for sure more negatives then positives regarding social media.

Terrorism, bullying, jealousy, and suicide all existed before social media :tu:.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LucidElement
5 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Terrorism, bullying, jealousy, and suicide all existed before social media :tu:.

 

True, but not on the level it is now. Terrorist cells pray on social media to recruit individuals.

Online bullying is terrible, many suicides have happened due to it. Im not sure how somoene could kill themselves from being cyber bullied however it turns out it is a major issue.

Also, UM is a form of social media because we are interacting with others. I've seen people go at it on this site , more so then not and especially over the later years. When i joined this site in 2003, it was a completely different online world. Now it is above and beyond. I agree social media is an entertaining way for individuals to read articles and gossip. What i dont agree is how people hide behind social media to look "feel and look" tougher then they really are in real life. Someone said earlier that there was a cyber bully female who talked a lot of crap to these people, then they saw them out and about and they were nothing like they were online.

I wish social media had a filter that could filter of the fake and B'S people vs. People that are more in tune with themselves and others. People get off on making people feel bad and being an a-hole. Social media is FILLED with them. And to circle back, these people that get off on making people feel bad and trying to bully others.... in real life, they are dorky, shy, awkward people. (Not all of them but a good majority) . I say that because no one should entertain themselves by being a complete A-hole online but then in real life be someone different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.