Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What happened to my photo?

lvx007

Hi guys!

I'm new here and some strange things happened today. So i have this picture where i stand next to my father:

https://imgur.com/a/vno1RKQ

And we printed this image out a few months ago onto simple photopaper and put it in my parent's room. Here's what my mom showed me today what happened to the picture:

https://imgur.com/a/56tUfOJ

And i was like wtf. First of all it's like somone or something painted my beard to white and drew a mustache also lol. It's not photoshop i swear! Also it's not paint because i touched it and it seems like the white-ish thing is the paper's color, but at a closer look it seems like someone scratched the paper you can see it if you zoom in a bit, on my father's arm (you can also see it on my glasses and hair). Also notice the bottom of the picture, and it's like a fingerprint like shape at my stomach.

Now we printed several pictures on to the same kind of paper and the other's not changed at all. This is the only picture that changed, also it happened from yesterday to today, because last week/day it looked normal also.

So any ideas what the heck happened? Only three of us living in our house (my parents and me). Nobody touched the picture it was just at the top of the desk. Nobody visited us that could touch it. Also my parents said they not touched it and i not see why they would lie to me lol (i not touched it either since it was in their room).

If it is some natural thing that caused it why not changed the other pictures too that are in the same room next to this picture (and also the same photopaper)?

I say it again the image not photoshopped or altered in any way we only printed it a few months ago and not even touched it since.

So any ideas? : O

the above picture more zoomed in:

https://imgur.com/a/NYUCY2h

https://imgur.com/a/kKqyCq5

https://imgur.com/a/Oqesm45

Edited by lvx007
  • Like 1

I am a believer in the paranormal but know we shouldn't jump to the paranormal too quickly either in the face of a mystery.

Was the picture in a frame behind glass or plastic?

Is there any local photo printing expert that you can take the actual print to?

Anything else possibly paranormal been happening with you guys or in the house?

I do have a challenging time believe something like that could just happen naturally.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to What happened to my photo?
3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am a believer in the paranormal but know we shouldn't jump to the paranormal too quickly either in the face of a mystery.

Was the picture in a frame behind glass or plastic?

Is there any local photo printing expert that you can take the actual print to?

Anything else possibly paranormal been happening with you guys or in the house?

I do have a challenging time believe something like that could just happen naturally.

Well i answered you on the reddit topic, you asked the same questions

Edited by lvx007

9 minutes ago, lvx007 said:

Nobody visited us that could touch it.

This makes it sound like somebody did visit though. Should and could are often two different things.

7 minutes ago, lvx007 said:

Well i answered you on the reddit topic, you asked the same questions

OK, thanks. I was never notified. Because you didn't hit 'reply' to my post I wasn't alerted. No prob.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

This makes it sound like somebody did visit though. Should and could are often two different things.

Well my grandma visited us a week or so ago, but she not touched the pictures also. I will ask her to be sure though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lvx007 said:

Well my grandma visited us a week or so ago, but she not touched the pictures also. I will ask her to be sure though. 

I tagged the in-house photo expert.  He'll answer you. 

• Like 1

Welcome to UM @lvx007,

If it's happened after you've printed multiples of the same image on to paper, and only with this one, it's probably a chemical reaction.

Where are the other printed images stored vs this one? This one is obviously in a frame. Were others exposed to light, or kept in a drawer? Moisture? Etc...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Timothy said:

Welcome to UM @lvx007,

If it's happened after you've printed multiples of the same image on to paper, and only with this one, it's probably a chemical reaction.

Where are the other printed images stored vs this one? This one is obviously in a frame. Were others exposed to light, or kept in a drawer? Moisture? Etc...

Well they are different images from last year when we visited Greece with my family, but it's the same kind of photopaper. Now others are behind glass except two, one is this altered picture and there is other one (that is not altered). What kind of chemical reaction could cause this though? I will ask gradma tomorrow, maybe she touched it with soapy hands or similar lol, not sure. But i don't think she touched it, she usually not touching our belongings without we knowing it. 

17 minutes ago, lvx007 said:

Well they are different images from last year when we visited Greece with my family, but it's the same kind of photopaper. Now others are behind glass except two, one is this altered picture and there is other one (that is not altered). What kind of chemical reaction could cause this though? I will ask gradma tomorrow, maybe she touched it with soapy hands or similar lol, not sure. But i don't think she touched it, she usually not touching our belongings without we knowing it. 

Well if it did happen after printing, and only with this image; probably something to do with the type of ink/paper and the environment the printed image was physically kept in.

I only did secondary school level chemistry, so I can't help further there.

Just as an aside though; the image (from your photo of it) does look like it's been post-processed. It looks over-exposed, highly contrasted, highly saturated (colour) etc. Do you have access to the computer that the photo was printed from? You could try to find the soft-copy of the image to see if it's been badly altered before printing. Or print it again and see if the same happens with this image and the same printer.

I know you said that it just happened recently, hence me leaning to a chemical explanation.

1 minute ago, Timothy said:

Well if it did happen after printing, and only with this image; probably something to do with the type of ink/paper and the environment the printed image was physically kept in.

I only did secondary school level chemistry, so I can't help further there.

Just as an aside though; the image (from your photo of it) does look like it's been post-processed. It looks over-exposed, highly contrasted, highly saturated (colour) etc. Do you have access to the computer that the photo was printed from? You could try to find the soft-copy of the image to see if it's been badly altered before printing. Or print it again and see if the same happens with this image and the same printer.

I know you said that it just happened recently, hence me leaning to a chemical explanation.

Well it look like "post processed" or whatever i guess because it's not the greatest quality photopaper what we used or the printer is not that great. I noticed that all the pictures i printed on photopaper looked more blueish than the original picture etc. Also chemical reaction seems logical, i can totally imagine my grandma to be like "uum my grandson is such cute boy i have to clean this photo" and than grandma proceeds to clean image with heavy acid lol :D She has a tendency to break things unintentionally so i can imagine she touched it, but i have to ask her tomorrow to be sure as i said. 

4 minutes ago, lvx007 said:

Well it look like "post processed" or whatever i guess because it's not the greatest quality photopaper what we used or the printer is not that great. I noticed that all the pictures i printed on photopaper looked more blueish than the original picture etc. Also chemical reaction seems logical, i can totally imagine my grandma to be like "uum my grandson is such cute boy i have to clean this photo" and than grandma proceeds to clean image with heavy acid lol :D She has a tendency to break things unintentionally so i can imagine she touched it, but i have to ask her tomorrow to be sure as i said. 

Haha! Grandmas are great. Mine used to call a lazy Susan a lazy Nancy! Awesome Nannerism.

But yes, the washed out white under your sunnies, your lips and goatee does definitely look like something is awry.

• Like 1

I would guess that a poltergeist has gone crazy with some Tipp-Ex. They can't talk through modern digital TV's, so they have to attract your attention in other ways.

(Serious answer:  Cheap and/or badly stored photopaper reacting with the ink)

Edited by acute
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Piney said:

@ChrLzs  You got this one. 

Gee thanks...  :D

OK, assuming there is no nortiness involved here, and frankly, the images and story sound fairly legit..  I think there are two things happening here.

1. Poor quality photopaper or paper that is incompatible with the print inks in use (could also be 3rd party ink cartridges?)

PLUS

2. That sheet of paper was damaged at some point BEFORE it was printed on.  It was most likely affected by something like cooking oil, hand moisturiser or fish-and-chip-greased fingers, or perhaps just a few drops of water, and it was also dragged across the edge of something (eg even another paper edge) probably while it was oily/damp.

I've seen a similar but lesser effect before - this is a really bad example..  The inks (or just one or two colors) will not dry properly and be repelled by the oily/damp/damaged surface, or possibly 'sucked' down into scratched / cracked areas into the underlying layers.  The examples I've seen showed similar localised effects, and it's particularly dark colors that get affected.  As I said, it's worse than I've seen, so I am surprised you didn't notice that the sheet you were printing on looked funny...  However sometimes the contaminant is transparent/white, and the scratches can be quite fine and almost invisible.  Is there any sign of staining on the back of the print?  Have you examined the print scratches to see if they are really scratches (you might need a loupe)?

Low quality, cheap ink carts and cheap glossy papers make the problem much more common, sometimes even a brand new, uncontaminated/scratch free print may show weird ink-pooling or 'bubbling' effects, where the coating on the paper repels the ink, and yes, it may happen over time..

Other than that - dunno, could be ghostly intervention... :D

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

OK, assuming there is no nortiness involved here, and frankly, the images and story sound fairly legit..  I think there are two things happening here.

1. Poor quality photopaper or paper that is incompatible with the print inks in use (could also be 3rd party ink cartridges?)

PLUS

2. That sheet of paper was damaged at some point BEFORE it was printed on.  It was most likely affected by something like cooking oil, hand moisturiser or fish-and-chip-greased fingers, or perhaps just a few drops of water, and it was also dragged across the edge of something (eg even another paper edge) probably while it was oily/damp.

I've seen a similar but lesser effect before - this is a really bad example..  The inks (or just one or two colors) will not dry properly and be repelled by the oily/damp/damaged surface, or possibly 'sucked' down into scratched / cracked areas into the underlying layers.  The examples I've seen showed similar localised effects, and it's particularly dark colors that get affected.  As I said, it's worse than I've seen, so I am surprised you didn't notice that the sheet you were printing on looked funny...  However sometimes the contaminant is transparent/white, and the scratches can be quite fine and almost invisible.  Is there any sign of staining on the back of the print?  Have you examined the print scratches to see if they are really scratches (you might need a loupe)?

Low quality, cheap ink carts and cheap glossy papers make the problem much more common, sometimes even a brand new, uncontaminated/scratch free print may show weird ink-pooling or 'bubbling' effects, where the coating on the paper repels the ink, and yes, it may happen over time..

That is exactly why Piney said...you got this!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

PLUS

Well i don't think the paper was damaged BEFORE it was printed on, since as i said it looked normal for months and it happened like yesterday (at least my mom noticed it yesterday, she not looking at that picture everyday). Also other pics with the same photopaper not damaged, so i don't think so. Also all photopaper was new never used it or touched it with greasy hands, and i printed all other pics the same day, so by that logic they should have been changed too.  

Also i asked my gradma today and she said that not touched it either, so that's four of us who not touched it meaning nobody touched it. 

Now on another forum i posted the same question someone answered this: 

"My pa happens to be a professional photographer, so I texted him the images.  He gave me a long technical answer involving the word ‘annular’ but the basic idea is mold growing on the print, except with bacteria instead of mold."

So do you think guys its bacteria maybe? 

Could be a new wonder-drug strain of penicillin, but it seems it is a technical photographic glitch, nothing to do with spooks. It is funny the way people notice these anomalies when printing the photo, but not when looking through the viewfinder.

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Could be a new wonder-drug strain of penicillin, but it seems it is a technical photographic glitch, nothing to do with spooks. It is funny the way people notice these anomalies when printing the photo, but not when looking through the viewfinder.

Dude, it happened from one day to another. It is not just a "glitch". Have you read the original post?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lvx007 said:

Dude, it happened from one day to another. It is not just a "glitch". Have you read the original post?

So what do you suspect ?

You'd be far better to take it to a forum that deals with photography and its technical issues.

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You'd be far better to take it to a forum that deals with photography and its technical issues.

I will try that also. 

I printed out another picture for comparison. Same photopaper, same size etc:

https://imgur.com/a/a6V1gwJ

https://imgur.com/a/Cob9Wh8

So you can see even though the print quality is not the best because colors look messy, still you can see there's no artefact on the left one. So the other on the right side looked the same too until a few days ago.

Image result for sai baba miracle photosSee the source image

@lvx007  For what it's worth your picture mystery reminds of some photos that I believe were paranormally affected (long story as to why I think that in these cases) but my point is there seems to be an intelligence behind what is changed (as  opposed to an unthinking process).

Edited by papageorge1