Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone create their own music?

Dejarma

Hey all- sorry, i forgot to update the orig link in post 1:

here it is for anyone interested

Style Stab

Peace.

dej...

• Like 2

I made a cover of a Swedish song for my mothers 70 birthday..
Its one of her favorite songs...
I recorded it at home in my livingroom and I play all the instruments..
Unfortunately the quality degraded drasitcally when I uploaded it to dropbox..
Its me and my son in the picture

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyvh4sjakpl04o5/strov.wmv?dl=0

A translation from the Swedish text to english.....

O’er the clouds is a glow, o’er the lake is a sheen,
There’s sunlight on beach and on ness,
Around them the woods are a glorious green,
The grass feels the south wind’s caress.

‘Mid summer and beauty and pure-scented breeze
I hail this my native strand. - 
But there is a void by the maple-trees
Where my father’s home used to stand.

It is gone, it is burned, there is nought left behind
Save the rocks of all traces bereft !
But memory comes with the cool-breathing wind,
And memory is all that is left.

I see a white gable before me again,
A window stands open within it,
Through which there is wafted the rollicking strain
Of a melody played on the spinet.

And I hear now my father singing his best
AS in youth when his spirit was glad.
The song was soon hushed in his languishing breast
And his life became weary and sad.

It is gone, it is burned. I will lie by the side
Of the lake here and hark to his tale
Of the woman who lived as the calm years glide,
The old wife of Asterdale.

He sings of her grief in a voice as low
And soft as a dream-song’s tone:
“That is over these twenty long years ago,
That’s dead and buried and gone.

Where you, lovely visions, would formerly throng
The moonlight falls lonely and pale. - 
And taht is the end of my cradle-song
Of the old wife of Asterdale.”

Edited by Herr Falukorv
  • Like 2

i uploaded this one a while back= my old guitar playing days.. a bit of nostalgia for me:

Lightened

Peace.

dej...

• Like 4

...just some more lyrics, of a countryish song in waltz/train time.

The train is leaving the station

and I hear a knock on the door

i open it and see....flowers, from me

"i guess she don't live here no more"

good things will come, to he  who waits

but he  who is lost   hesitates

springtime's a bad time for leavin

then so is summer or fall

if you don't come home   by the very first snow*

i may not be here   at all

rain's fallin down   like tears to the ground

the Sun can not shine

and I still think there may be time

as I listen to the whistle blowin,

for you to change your mind

and I still think there will be time

as I listen to the whistle blowin

for you  to change your mind.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really like those lyrics lightly.    :P

• 2 weeks later...

@Dejarma Dude you shred! Much respect

I play guitar but i mostly only record electronic stuff, mostly hip hop and experimental stuff

• Like 2

Yeah, I've spent thousands over the last 20 years on drum machines, software, plugins, speakers etc. Probably the reason I haven't been able to buy a house. But I rarely share anything I do, even though the finished tracks run in to the hundreds.

For me I guess it's both a zone-out meditation tool (when I get into it, it's basically like hypnosis) and learning new things (like production / mixing methods) are supposed to be good for your brain.

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Yeah, I've spent thousands over the last 20 years on drum machines, software, plugins, speakers etc. Probably the reason I haven't been able to buy a house. But I rarely share anything I do, even though the finished tracks run in to the hundreds.

For me I guess it's both a zone-out meditation tool (when I get into it, it's basically like hypnosis) and learning new things (like production / mixing methods) are supposed to be good for your brain.

yeah, it does get into your soul & there's nothing you can do about it.

i change course many times but always end up with guitar around my neck...

why not share some tracks here? or PM me with a few links if you'd prefer...you never know; by doing this you may be able to buy a house..

you could be a hidden gem;)

Peace, Emma.

dej (DC)

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 5:08 AM, Emma_Acid said:

I find all anxiety and worry goes away when i get in the zone. Music connects us all, i couldn't agree more. keep at it Emma :)

• Like 2

On 09/07/2019 at 1:44 AM, Dejarma said:

yeah, it does get into your soul & there's nothing you can do about it.

i change course many times but always end up with guitar around my neck...

why not share some tracks here? or PM me with a few links if you'd prefer...you never know; by doing this you may be able to buy a house..

you could be a hidden gem;)

Peace, Emma.

dej (DC)

Yeah sure I'll PM you something, I'll have a root around

I found some old PC backups the other day and found a load of old demos and other things that I recorded years ago. So I'll probably make some uploads soon.
Back then I was dirt poor and didn't have much in the way of equipment. Other than that, I never took a lesson in vocals or any instrument, so I found myself taking a chance on everything.
Everything that I made back then came from free software. Free VST instruments. Vocals were recorded with the microphone that came with the Xbox:360 game Guitar Hero: World Tour.
I recorded guitars in an unconventional way too. I didn't have access to amps, or direct recordings so I added a pair of headphones to my effect pedal and placed the guitar hero mic in the middle.

Not saying it sounded good, but finding this stuff was cool in its own way, like opening a time capsule.

This is one of the things that I made, It's a cover of the the song "Right Where It belongs" By Nine Inch Nails.
If you know the song, you will notice immediately that it doesn't sound like the studio version. This is for three reasons. One it is based on the live performance from the "Beside You In Time" live DVD, Two it was made using free VST instruments and Three many parts were recreated by ear, I could not find tabs for certain elements of the song, so I improvised.

The video was also created using free software. I used hitfilm express and created some fractal images in GIMP.
I added a heat distortion effect to them, panned the camera around and overlayed the lyrics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, lightly said:

my guitar and I have been making songs for about 52 years !   I can't read music ...never had a lesson ...just slowly developed my own ways of playing .   Wish I could share a couple songs, I'll work on that, ....some of you might enjoy my beautiful playing and angelic voice  :o)    I rarely play for anyone but friends have described my stuff as "country punk"...."psychedelic country and western".... but to me it's just sort of country ..or some sort of folk.   ...reminds me of Beatle songs sometimes.  Sort of Dylanesque sometimes.  Sort of 60's pop/rock sometimes......anyway I LOVE it.   Hehe.

Just stick your phone in front of yourself and record yourself playing. Upload to YouTube. Go for it.

8 hours ago, OverSword said:

Just stick your phone in front of yourself and record yourself playing. Upload to YouTube. Go for it.

Thanks OverSword,    A friend stuck her phone up and made a video/audio of me.....but the sound was terrible....no low frequencies!

i used to have an old school fostex 4 track ,which could bounce tracks and mix down ...I would sing and play acoustic....(sometimes harmony vocal) ...then a drum track....then electric guitar.     Some of those turned out surprisingly well  :lol:..they were accidentally erased long ago when I drank whiskey !    !

now I guess I'm content to just sing and play my Guild ..   I could make y'all cry :wub:

On 21/07/2019 at 2:23 PM, lightly said:

Thanks OverSword,    A friend stuck her phone up and made a video/audio of me.....but the sound was terrible....no low frequencies!

i used to have an old school fostex 4 track ,which could bounce tracks and mix down ...I would sing and play acoustic....(sometimes harmony vocal) ...then a drum track....then electric guitar.     Some of those turned out surprisingly well  :lol:..they were accidentally erased long ago when I drank whiskey !    !

now I guess I'm content to just sing and play my Guild ..   I could make y'all cry :wub:

Well, If you ever do get bitten by the recording bug:
Check out the Focusrite: Scarlet 2i2 interface, It works really well with the demo Version of Reaper (The digital workstation).
Nice way to record without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 6:55 PM, Kaikou said:

Check out the Focusrite: Scarlet 2i2 interface, It works really well with the demo Version of Reaper (The digital workstation).

I've got the Roland Rubix22 and 18 months in and already the volume knobs are starting to rustle when I turn them. Am going to pick up a Focusrite Clarett at some point soon.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I've got the Roland Rubix22 and 18 months in and already the volume knobs are starting to rustle when I turn them. Am going to pick up a Focusrite Clarett at some point soon.

Well, I can't really tell you anything about that product in particular as I've never owned it. However, it is way more expensive than the scarlet, so I'm guessing (at least) it will be nicer.
I am very vocal about products that I've brought, purely because I don't have much money to afford them, So when you hear me say the Focusrite 2i2 is nice, it is completely genuine and I've owned it for at least three years at this point..

In the time that I've owned it, the only issue that I've found with the Scarlet 2i2 comes from the drivers.

I'm running windows 10 and sometimes it struggles to understand what is going on when I wake it from sleep mode. For example, If I suddenly sit at the computer, 99% of the time it's fine, However I'll occasionally run in to an issue where the computer will blue screen.
When restarted, the only thing that I can recieve sound from is my studio monitors,

This is easily fixed by unplugging and reinserting the USB cable for the focusrite back into the PC.

Before you know it you're up and running again.

That being said, I really recomend their products, especially after owning some roland stuff before.

4 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Focusrite Rocks!  I have the Scarlet Solo.  Less than a hundred bucks...pretty awesome little device.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, Kaikou said:

I also have the demo Version of Reaper...I also have Adobe cs.5.  I have an older computer and after so many updates...they sort of updated CS.5 out of the picture.  It still works but...it's..limited.

On 7/8/2019 at 2:08 PM, Emma_Acid said:

You are a drummer?  Awesome!  Have you ever collaborated on any recordings over the internet?  I knew this guy in Croatia that was a drummer.  I would send him a track and he would put drums on it and we'd go back and forth until we had something 'finished'.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:06 PM, Kaikou said:

I found some old PC backups the other day and found a load of old demos and other things that I recorded years ago. So I'll probably make some uploads soon.
Back then I was dirt poor and didn't have much in the way of equipment. Other than that, I never took a lesson in vocals or any instrument, so I found myself taking a chance on everything.
Everything that I made back then came from free software. Free VST instruments. Vocals were recorded with the microphone that came with the Xbox:360 game Guitar Hero: World Tour.
I recorded guitars in an unconventional way too. I didn't have access to amps, or direct recordings so I added a pair of headphones to my effect pedal and placed the guitar hero mic in the middle.

Not saying it sounded good, but finding this stuff was cool in its own way, like opening a time capsule.

This is one of the things that I made, It's a cover of the the song "Right Where It belongs" By Nine Inch Nails.
If you know the song, you will notice immediately that it doesn't sound like the studio version. This is for three reasons. One it is based on the live performance from the "Beside You In Time" live DVD, Two it was made using free VST instruments and Three many parts were recreated by ear, I could not find tabs for certain elements of the song, so I improvised.

The video was also created using free software. I used hitfilm express and created some fractal images in GIMP.
I added a heat distortion effect to them, panned the camera around and overlayed the lyrics.

Thanks for sharing.  Quite awesome!  

On 8/8/2019 at 2:04 AM, joc said:

You are a drummer?  Awesome!  Have you ever collaborated on any recordings over the internet?  I knew this guy in Croatia that was a drummer.  I would send him a track and he would put drums on it and we'd go back and forth until we had something 'finished'.  

No, drum machines as in

808-day-hero-poster.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 10:04 PM, Kaikou said:

Well, I can't really tell you anything about that product in particular as I've never owned it. However, it is way more expensive than the scarlet, so I'm guessing (at least) it will be nicer.

I was going for that one as you get a copy of this channel strip plugin for free (normally $350) - https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_console_focusrite_sc.html

9 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

No, drum machines as in

808-day-hero-poster.jpg

A drummer of a different technological age.  You my dear...are a drummer! :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joc said:

A drummer of a different technological age.  You my dear...are a drummer! :)

:clap: *adds to CV*

On 7/20/2019 at 5:12 AM, Emma_Acid said:

Yeah sure I'll PM you something, I'll have a root around

Okay...so...PM me something as well please....:)

• Like 1

• This topic was locked and unlocked