Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone create their own music?

Dejarma

4 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

:clap: *adds to CV*

Had to look up CV...but ....yeah.... :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, joc said:

I also have the demo Version of Reaper...I also have Adobe cs.5.  I have an older computer and after so many updates...they sort of updated CS.5 out of the picture.  It still works but...it's..limited.

Oh man that sucks. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to keep up with the demands of software now.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 1:57 AM, joc said:

Focusrite Rocks!  I have the Scarlet Solo.  Less than a hundred bucks...pretty awesome little device.

yep, great hardware... i've been using the Focusrite scarlett 2i4 for around 5 months. before this the good old presonus audiobox..

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 9:50 PM, joc said:

Okay...so...PM me something as well please....:)

Will do, am still finalising stuff at the mo

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:45 PM, Kaikou said:

Oh man that sucks. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to keep up with the demands of software now.

Only way to do it is buy a customised computer every 5 years or so. Future proof it as much as possible, and keep the cost down by designing the set up yourself. Never buy an off the shelf computer, it's always a rip off.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, joc said:

I also have the demo Version of Reaper...I also have Adobe cs.5.  I have an older computer and after so many updates...they sort of updated CS.5 out of the picture.  It still works but...it's..limited.

Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

Only way to do it is buy a customised computer every 5 years or so. Future proof it as much as possible, and keep the cost down by designing the set up yourself. Never buy an off the shelf computer, it's always a rip off.

I get what you mean. I always make sure I have a computer with good capability. The one I have currently isn't amazing, but it works for what I need core i5, 16gb ram, 3tb hardrive space with external drives.
I can have as many plugins open as I want and run other programs in the background without latency issues or the CPU maxing out etc.
I guess what I was trying to say is that: It's kind of crazy how far the software has come. Like, 15 years ago or so it wasn't nearly as taxing. Even when I had an old beat up off the shelf computer running xp with 256 ram and a really cheap proccessor it didn't seem too bad.
However If you were to use that setup today with the modern software it doesn't really hold up too well.

7 hours ago, Kaikou said:

I get what you mean. I always make sure I have a computer with good capability. The one I have currently isn't amazing, but it works for what I need core i5, 16gb ram, 3tb hardrive space with external drives.
I can have as many plugins open as I want and run other programs in the background without latency issues or the CPU maxing out etc.
I guess what I was trying to say is that: It's kind of crazy how far the software has come. Like, 15 years ago or so it wasn't nearly as taxing. Even when I had an old beat up off the shelf computer running xp with 256 ram and a really cheap proccessor it didn't seem too bad.
However If you were to use that setup today with the modern software it doesn't really hold up too well.

In a word - oversampling. Modern VSTs have huge oversampling capacity and this is ragingly taxing on the CPU. for example, I mix in a progamme called Mixbus, which is pretty low on CPU usage. It usually hovers around 40%, even with lots of plugins and internal processes going on. Then I slap something like the Lindell TE-100 on the master channel, put the oversampling on and the CPU usage rockets to 100%. you actually can't listen to the audio play as there isn't enough memory, and my laptop is pretty good (similar to yours but i7 rather than i5).

Old VSTs and built in plugins didn't oversample in this way, hence the ridiculous leap in how taxing they've become. 

Edited by Emma_Acid
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2019 at 3:38 PM, Kaikou said:

if you're happy with a particular vst instrument track then convert it to audio. Saves on CPU usage when you're working in your DAW.

Keep the instrument/ midi track just in case you feel a need to change something....

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 11:02 PM, bmk1245 said:

Anyone, have something heavier than 

Just asking.

Loving that track. :)

Wouldn't go as far as to say heavy but I'm definitely working something aggressive and loud at the minute.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:02 AM, joc said:

I like the feel there,... But why have you panned the bass drums & rhythm guitar to the left? It spoils it, IN MY OPINION;)

6 hours ago, Dejarma said:

I like the feel there,... But why have you panned the bass drums & rhythm guitar to the left? It spoils it, IN MY OPINION;)

Thank you!  ....  I have no mastering skills.  I have a lot of skills.  Mastering...not one of them!  :(   

• Like 1

Guys, it's music. It doesn't really have to follow a true formula. It's meant to be art. If you like it, great. If you don't like it then great.
Arguement is futile. People like what they like and dislike what they don't.

Some people are lucky to hit that formula that just works and they keep making things that work, the rest of us not so much.
At the end of the day, it's always something that should be done for fun.
If it makes sense to you, go for it.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
1 hour ago, rashore said:

Thread cleaned. Folks, leave off with the nasty critiques and bickering about it.

I'm seconding this. If anyone has anything further to add my PM is open.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/21/2019 at 6:23 AM, lightly said:

Thanks OverSword,    A friend stuck her phone up and made a video/audio of me.....but the sound was terrible....no low frequencies!

i used to have an old school fostex 4 track ,which could bounce tracks and mix down ...I would sing and play acoustic....(sometimes harmony vocal) ...then a drum track....then electric guitar.     Some of those turned out surprisingly well  :lol:..they were accidentally erased long ago when I drank whiskey !    !

now I guess I'm content to just sing and play my Guild ..   I could make y'all cry :wub:

I had that same four track.  I loaned it to a neighbor who turned out to be a drug addict and he pawned it. :angry:

• Sad 3

On 10/7/2019 at 2:57 PM, OverSword said:

I had that same four track.  I loaned it to a neighbor who turned out to be a drug addict and he pawned it. :angry:

Boo!!   I had a roommate  once that ...while I was working off shore...pawned my Telecaster and Peavy Amp and all of my Records...Lps...you know!  

• Sad 2

On 10/9/2019 at 1:21 AM, joc said:

Boo!!   I had a roommate  once that ...while I was working off shore...pawned my Telecaster and Peavy Amp and all of my Records...Lps...you know!  

There's nothing worse. Something that means so much reduced to a small amount of money. Terrible.

• Thanks 1

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I found some old demos in a backup. This one is from 2013, I decided to add some temporary vocals to see if I could flesh it out a bit more.

"Through all the time you're wasted

YOU are so wasted.
Weighed down by labels that they tarnish you with
None of them stick persay
Doesn't change the fact they say
That it's too late for you, It's too late (It's too late).

Far from a world of our own
We climb away
For the millionth time
Towards a brighter day

Unscathed, unscarred
We emerge"

• Like 2

@Kaikou

Great lyrics!  It has a real nice flavor of sound to it.  I like this song alot!  And the vocals I think actually 'make' the song!  Nice job!

• Like 1

Just a rough headphone mix= Experimenting with Realivox vocal software/ Attempting to fuse ethereal vocals, jazz & heavy rock, with a bit of classical thrown in- for anyone interested: 

Cheers.

DC...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 8:26 PM, Dejarma said:

Just a rough headphone mix= Experimenting with Realivox vocal software/ Attempting to fuse ethereal vocals, jazz & heavy rock, with a bit of classical thrown in- for anyone interested: 

Cheers.

DC...

Awesome!  Listened through headphones...very nice man!