Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Imagery Throughout History

esoteric_toad

Sorry, skinny man hat man shadow man whatever they are called are either imagined or real people, i just cant as hard as i try convince myself they are on from some other plane, no proof but of course believers need none,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

I had explained in other threads how the Greys came into existence. In the19th Century they were what evolved humans were hypothesized as looking like in various illustrations. Then various Theosophists portrayed them  as a form of "advanced spirit". They became ingrained in the human psyche and became one of the various nightmare creatures that haunt our dreams. Grey abductions are just exaggerated stress induced sleep paralysis-nightmare events. Whitley Strieber can be credited with really "putting it out there" with these boogies.  In Vodou they are called "Snails".  But many Priests call them "Mind Monkeys".

Now, do to the web and Creepypasta, the "Hat Man" is the newest "Mind Monkey".

My first sleep paralysis event is exactly this, although mine was influenced by depictions of gray aliens.  Mine was more like a giant black preying mantis on my ceiling looking down on me and speaking a strange half phonetic half insect like clicks and scratches language. Scared the living crap out of me and made me a believer when I was a kid.  Pretty much fell for everything after that.  Between the X files, sightings, unsolved mysteries and that found footage made for tv alien movie in the mid 90s, I was drinking the alien koolaid lol.  Didn’t snap out of it until I discovered the internet and read about sleep paralysis and astral projection/lucid dreaming and realized the root cause of my belief was actually a very common occurrence.  Still love the paranormal though, I don’t truly believe it but hold out hope to be proven otherwise someday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The era had a big influence on what people thought they saw, demons, incubus, succubus, angel and fairy invasions and epidemics then as time passed aliens be them classic greys or some kind of Burroughs Cronenberg insect creatures fit in well,

The lable a person gives it could be anything ufos, aliens or angles, 1917 Fatima, Portugal some saw angels, mary, others saw "ufos" some saw nothing special.

Look at early betty and barney hill accounts, she forced her thiughts on him, orginally he thought it was nothing more than an airplane, but betty who was busy writting a book forced barney to listen to her every word, even many top ufo investigators dismiss betty as being a loon.

As people arent as easily taken in puking cheesecloth wont wash, the shows with bells and whistles were debunked way back by Houdini, ghosts have to change to suit the era we are in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Sorry, skinny man hat man shadow man whatever they are called are either imagined or real people, i just cant as hard as i try convince myself they are on from some other plane, no proof but of course believers need none,

There is no other plane. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Piney said:

There is no other plane. 

You know me by now well enough i dont buy any "other plane" tripe.

My rub or issue comes in when someone i respect, like, spews what i consider bs, and here on this forum i will call them on it by posting my opinion, some understand some hate me like poison for it.

My dad passed in 2014 at 89 and the last few years of his life got into some pretty atypical stuff for him, my step mother offered zero interest or support. he found a copy of a Whitley Strieber abduction book read it and wanted his other work, i got it for him, he asked my views and opinions, i suggested he get into the work of susan blackmore and Michael Persinger, he seemed to have a relieved shift, he didnt share much, i had to read between the lines, i dont believe he had abduction experiences but i do firmly believe he had sleep paralysis, and likely night terrors he couldnt explain or fit in to his very prosiac world, striebers fantasies made it worse, persinger and blackmores work gave him what he seeked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You know me by now well enough i dont buy any "other plane" tripe.

My rub or issue comes in when someone i respect, like, spews what i consider bs, and here on this forum i will call them on it by posting my opinion, some understand some hate me like poison for it.

My dad passed in 2014 at 89 and the last few years of his life got into some pretty atypical stuff for him, my step mother offered zero interest or support. he found a copy of a Whitley Strieber abduction book read it and wanted his other work, i got it for him, he asked my views and opinions, i suggested he get into the work of susan blackmore and Michael Persinger, he seemed to have a relieved shift, he didnt share much, i had to read between the lines, i dont believe he had abduction experiences but i do firmly believe he had sleep paralysis, and likely night terrors he couldnt explain or fit in to his very prosiac world, striebers fantasies made it worse, persinger and blackmores work gave him what he seeked.

Strieber's book 'Cat Magic' told me he dabbled in the occult. I think he "pulled a Crowley" and gave himself a bad case of Mind Monkeys giving birth to his abduction experience. 

No Vodou Priest or Algonquian Shaman worth their salt believe in that "other planes" crap. 

• Like 1

I did it again, in this case i meant " budd hopkins" for some reason i always mix up him and  Whitley Strieber, who is more a chris O'Brien screwball, Hopkins is more just wanting a little fame and profit...so a different type screwball.

Edited by the13bats