Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolverine's Healing Power May Be Possible

EBE Hybrid

Wolverine‘s skill to heal from any wound often is the most helpful mutant superpower out of all Marvel’s X-Men, however consider it or not, science would possibly really be making Logan’s super regeneration a reality for regular people.

Edited by Saru
Please avoid copy and pasting large amounts of material on to the forums, thank you.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

I read the report. Interesting. You still can't boost your immune system though. That would kill you. But advancements in regeneration are certainly possible. 

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

I read the report. Interesting. You still can't boost your immune system though. That would kill you. But advancements in regeneration are certainly possible. 

Not a cure for cancer, but I guess you could remove all the bad stuff in the belief that only good stuff would regrow.

As far as boosting your immune system goes I think that at present we're limited to vitamin D supplements!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

As far as boosting your immune system goes I think that at present we're limited to vitamin D supplements!

There's other ways. I'm not a supplement person though. You pee most of them out. I do believe in eating lots of fruit with vitamin C and getting plenty of sun.

My sister is a biology professor and receives the Harvard and Penn journals and I helped with the Harvard study on tradition medicine since I was a  NAGPRA "Token Shaman" for a few universities and museums.

There is a difference between "Alternative Medicine" and "Traditional Medicine" though. If the medical community says it doesn't work a legit Traditional Healer will discard it.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

There's other ways. I'm not a supplement person though. You pee most of them out. I do believe in eating lots of fruit with vitamin C and getting plenty of sun.

My sister is a biology professor and receives the Harvard and Penn journals and I helped with the Harvard study on tradition medicine since I was a  NAGPRA "Token Shaman" for a few universities and museums.

There is a difference between "Alternative Medicine" and "Traditional Medicine" though. If the medical community says it doesn't work a legit Traditional Healer will discard it.  

Cool stuff,

I live in England and was encouraged to take vitamin D supplements to compensate for the lack of exposure to sunlight. Although, much as the British weather is mocked, it can get fairly 'toastie' in the summer. During the summer us Brits are advised to avoid too much sunlight to reduce the risk of skin cancer, you just can't win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EBE Hybrid said:

Cool stuff,

I live in England and was encouraged to take vitamin D supplements to compensate for the lack of exposure to sunlight. Although, much as the British weather is mocked, it can get fairly 'toastie' in the summer. During the summer us Brits are advised to avoid too much sunlight to reduce the risk of skin cancer, you just can't win!

My mother was from Bronte Country . She was born in Bradford , and I received part of my Quaker education there. I also worked as a tracker and scout for Corporate Measures, the "Free Company" formed by former SAS and Gurkha Troopers. I'm more than familiar with English and Scottish weather. 

• Thanks 1

It's time to discard the term junk dna as it is obviously not. Once we learned to flip the switches it's now just a matter of finding the right combinations. Cures, trait enhancement, longevity, etc.

Of course the danger is flipping the wrong switch combo...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BorizBadinov said:

It's time to discard the term junk dna as it is obviously not. Once we learned to flip the switches it's now just a matter of finding the right combinations. Cures, trait enhancement, longevity, etc.

Of course the danger is flipping the wrong switch combo...

A bit like trying to bake a cake, when you've never baked a cake before. All the ingredients are set out but no information on how to combine the ingredients, or in what order and nothing mentioned about technique and oven temperature!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BorizBadinov said:

trait enhancement

Gonna be a lot of sore backs in the future :D

• Haha 3

Unless somebody comes up with adamantium , it ain't really gonna be anything like Wolverine ...

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, EBE Hybrid said:

A bit like trying to bake a cake, when you've never baked a cake before. All the ingredients are set out but no information on how to combine the ingredients, or in what order and nothing mentioned about technique and oven temperature!

This is true, but we now have better ways to divine those recipes. Science is advancing at an even more incredible pace these last 40 years since the age of computers.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Unless somebody comes up with adamantium , it ain't really gonna be anything like Wolverine ...

~

To be fair the healing power was Wolverine's mutant ability not the endoskeleton of adamantium. It allowed him to survive having the molten adamantium poured into him. But I agree its not really the same without both. :yes: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BorizBadinov said:

To be fair the healing power was Wolverine's mutant ability not the endoskeleton of adamantium. It allowed him to survive having the molten adamantium poured into him. But I agree its not really the same without both. :yes: 

Logan before he was Wolverine ...  :yes:

~

• Like 2

I thought it was the Adamantium that was stunting Wolverines healing power. Without the metal skeleton, he'd heal near instantly, rather then over several seconds.

I very much doubt they will get Wolverine level healing. As in, seconds. Regeneration, over months... maybe. Heck, even Deadpool took a couple hours to grow that hand back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I thought it was the Adamantium that was stunting Wolverines healing power. Without the metal skeleton, he'd heal near instantly, rather then over several seconds.

I very much doubt they will get Wolverine level healing. As in, seconds. Regeneration, over months... maybe. Heck, even Deadpool took a couple hours to grow that hand back.

I expect you are correct that it will be a somewhat longer and less magical process. 

The movie Logan used the idea that the adamantium was a problem. I am not sure it was mentioned before that but I would assume it would be in Alpha Flight comics if so. 

• Like 1

Wolverine's slow poisoning has actually been a thing for a while, though many people say it doesn't make sense. Since no one else with adamantium implants shows symptoms. 

• Like 1

I can see needing a weakness in an unstoppable force for storytelling reasons. I believe actual people with metal implants sometimes have rejection issues while others do not so perhaps it has some validation. 

In regard to the original topic of healing through dna manipulation I have to wonder how it would handle prior implants? Knees, shoulders, hips, eye correction, even dental fillings would likely be undone. It could be a long involved process.

Failing organs could be repaired carrying the same original defect unless further manipulation is done. Would that be done by situational custom design for each person? Or would more generic patterns be used in a pre-designed off the shelf method? Will we copy the best athletes patterns in a sort of genetic plastic surgery? 

Could open quite a can of worms I would think. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...