Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth could be under 'galactic quarantine'

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

Sorry...face it...facts indisputable prove it, humans are the only creatures in the vast universe of of intelligence with ability to building civilizations, while its a bit boring and makes me feel a bit alone i understand that whats more important is it makes some feel so much more special and epic they need that and have the proof we are it.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

One of Frank Herbert's possible theories was a planet wide plant-animal and although it didn't develop technology. It developed sentience. 

I'm just going by the discussions I'm in, and papers I've read over in the astronomy department. My forte is archaeology and geology and if you've seen the geological record, you would see how precarious we are on this ball of dirt. One bad incident and we are gone. 

• Like 3

@the13bats Why the sad reaction to my post?  Do you find my logic faulty?  If you would like to persuade us differently do so. 

• Like 1

Oversword, no need to get trollish,

my sad reaction was in relation to how utterly closed minded you seem to be,  as far as your logic goes, its not so much faulty as it is bits and pieces knitted together to promote your opinion, its not proven fact that the universe is empty of other civilizations its only your belief, it can not be proven unless you survey the entire universe which is impossible.

I couldn't care less about trying to "persuade anyone of anything"

You can keep your closed minded opinion we are unique to the universe and i will keep an open minded notion that other intelligent life is at the very least possible in something so vast.

Edited by the13bats

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

One of Frank Herbert's possible theories was a planet wide plant-animal and although it didn't develop technology. It developed sentience. 

So sci gi writers might just be on to something, the humanoids in dune were more advanced than us.

So sci gi writers might just be on to something, the humanoids in dune were more advanced than us.

They were still originally human though.

Pre-Dune Frank designed a Galactic Federation called the ConSentinency. When he became more educated in biology, astronomy and physics he trashed the whole series and created Dune.

Everything in Dune is still scientifically possible.  Frank was all about keeping the science straight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oversword, no need to get trollish,

my sad reaction was in relation to how utterly closed minded you seem to be,  as far as your logic goes, its not so much faulty as it is bits and pieces knitted together to promote your opinion, its not proven fact that the universe is empty of other civilizations its only your belief, it can not be proven unless you survey the entire universe which is impossible.

I couldn't care less about trying to "persuade anyone of anything"

You can keep your closed minded opinion we are unique to the universe and i will keep an open minded notion that other intelligent life is at the very least possible in something so vast.

I'm not being trollish, I explained as requested by you.  No reason to be butt-hurt.  I presented provable facts and logical conclusions.  Do you suppose that this is how I've always felt?  That is not the case.  I'm not closed minded, I came to this admittedly disappointing conclusion after years of consideration and being mature enough to look at facts and not fiction and admit things to myself.  The logical conclusion is that we will probably never meet an intelligent species from another world for one reason or another.  I would love it to be and hope that it is otherwise but there are increasingly less reasons to be optimistic about this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I'm not being trollish, I explained as requested by you.  No reason to be butt-hurt.  I presented provable facts and logical conclusions.  Do you suppose that this is how I've always felt?  That is not the case.  I'm not closed minded, I came to this admittedly disappointing conclusion after years of consideration and being mature enough to look at facts and not fiction and admit things to myself.  The logical conclusion is that we will probably never meet an intelligent species from another world for one reason or another.  I would love it to be and hope that it is otherwise but there are increasingly less reasons to be optimistic about this.

I got the feeling when we do find life (not intelligent, we probably won't) it's going to be a ecological disaster for either of us. 

• Like 1

And the cold war was just a smoke screen to cover governments involvement with aliens....singing They're coming to take me away ho hi ha ha to the funny farm.... 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

And the cold war was

The biggest friggin waste of resources in world history...........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I got the feeling when we do find life (not intelligent, we probably won't) it's going to be a ecological disaster for either of us. 

With all the allergies people have to pollen and other things on the planet we evolved to survive on can you imagine being exposed to alien pollen?  Alien snake venom.  Water full of alien microbes?  Nope.  No thank you. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

With all the allergies people have to pollen and other things on the planet we evolved to survive on can you imagine being exposed to alien pollen?  Alien snake venom.  Water full of alien microbes?  Nope.  No thank you. :P

and there will always be the dumbass who brings them back here, ala Andromeda  Strain. 

• Like 1

Butthurt? No, sorry, you saying that is a good example of being trollish as is saying You being mature amplying anyone with a different opinion isnt.

no, its not a proven fact there is no intelligent life in the universe its your opinion.

The logical conclusion is that we will probably never meet an intelligent species from another world for one reason or another.

Ah, but there it is, perhaps a typo or you will back pedal but as that statement stands you are saying its "possible" not probable but not impossible, im good with that.

And no, we will likely not live to know either way.

So i am done here, thanks! :tu:

Edited by the13bats

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

its not a proven fact there is no intelligent life in the universe its your opinion.

I never said that. And you are obviously butthurt.  Read what I typed again without the emotional bias.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grey Area said:

We have only just developed the telescopes and methods to spot large planets and the odd lucky transiting rock, it is impossible to say with certainty one way or the other.

Statistics however would point towards a big fat 1 for conditions being met somewhere in the universe, even the big moon you seem to be hung up on.

Indeed,   Based on what we currently know, the Odds of the perfect combination occurring somewhere in all the billions of galaxies in the universe is exactly one.   And here we are.

• Thanks 1

And, of course, for more than 99.9% of the time that the only planet in all the galaxies in the universe on which we know that intelligent life as we know it could evolve, there was no intelligent life as we know it .....    Hence some are forced in invoke the G word.   Because the enormity of it, when we stare into the vast void of the Total Perspective Vortex, is so very hard to accept.

• Like 3

Think of it like this. To aliens communicating with humans makes about as much sense as humans trying to communicate with worms.

When the xenomorphs or Vogons and those V lizards and especially the Daleks finds us we're doomed. If there's an advanced life form of Aliens who would actually be technically advanced enough to visit us i suspect they would not come in peace they would probably look at us in the same way as we look at rodents. I know Steven Hawkings said something along those lines and warned us that they might not be friendly.

Edited by Impedancer

20 minutes ago, tortugabob said:

Think of it like this. To aliens communicating with humans makes about as much sense as humans trying to communicate with worms.

Based on what?  That's ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Piney said:

The "favorable conditions" which created the Earth was a series of extremely rare events. 

What is rare when you have a place like the universe with an endless amount of possibilities ?

6 minutes ago, Impedancer said:

When the xenomorphs or Vogons and those V lizards and especially the Daleks finds us we're doomed. If there's an advanced life form of Aliens who would actually be technically advanced enough to visit us i suspect they would not come in peace they would probably look at us in the same way as we look at rodents. I know Steven Hawkings said something along those lines and warned us that they might not be friendly.

Hawkings had as much expertise in what aliens are like as you or I.  The only reason I could think that they may be explorers is either for knowledge or for resources.  If you are advanced enough to reach the earth then you must be able to utilize the many resources available throughout our universe so don't need the earths.  So curiosity would be the main reason to come here therefore I question violent intentions on behalf of any visitors that would ever come here.  That said It's probably still a good idea to blast them out of the sky so their culture doesn't pollute us and have a negative affect such as we have on remote tribes in the amazon.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Grey Area said:

Never happen.  If there is stuff to be learned they will be exploited one way or another, if non sentient they would be studied intensely and likely poked and prodded in all sorts of interesting ways, if sentient contact would be established one way or another.

Why must contact with an alien race be in adversity?  Colonialism would be highly unlikely given the difficulty we have getting even 4 people out of earth orbit.

Why?  Because Gene Roddenberry?

If aliens have the ability to travel light years, they also have the ability to study us without interfering. They might very well be fascinated by us, like how we study anthropology and zoology. It stands to reason that if they are that developed technologically, they also have been where we are/were; both technologically and socially. Evolution is progressive by definition. Progressive beings tend to respect foreign cultures and attempt to study everything without being invasive, territorial, colonial, or combative.

Gene Roddenberry had a brilliant utopian philosophy behind his sci-fi fiction, IMO.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bison said:

That all sounds quite reasonable to me, too. The various objections raised to a densely inhabited galaxy are not nearly as convincing, nor as certain, as some would make them out to be. Of course these objections will apply in some cases. However, science gives us grounds for expecting there to be billions upon billions of potentially habitable planets in our galaxy. If even a very small fraction of these currently happen to have conditions favorable to life and intelligence, the galaxy may well be rich with civilizations.

As Dr. Fermi noted, even at sub-light speeds these civilizations could have expanded their territory to include the entire galaxy, long, long ago. The question he posed  was, and is, a legitimate one: 'Where are they'? This meeting of international scientists has proposed a good and reasonable answer: we're protected, just as certain remote groups of people on this planet are protected from contact with Earthly civilization.     

I agree.. Scary part what other "humans" actually had an unpleasant experience, like Nuclear war or an interplanetary collision.. Maybe we are blessed

7 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

I agree.. Scary part what other "humans" actually had an unpleasant experience, like Nuclear war or an interplanetary collision.. Maybe we are blessed

I often wonder if self-destruction is the ultimate (and only?) outcome of civilization. I'm glad we're still here and able to communicate like this. but still...It's very possible that we seem to be alone in the universe because others have either destroyed themselves or haven't evolved to our level yet.

On a lighter note...lol...I think we can survive this stage of evolution. Will we ever reach past our solar system in any meaningful way? Impossible to say.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

Galactic quarantine indeed. That's rich. Almost as good as the "aliens are humans from the future" stuff.

Edited by Trelane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I never said that. And you are obviously butthurt.  Read what I typed again without the emotional bias.

Again stop trolling no one is butthurt or emotional except perhaps you shown by your replies, i moved on when you said...

The logical conclusion is that we will probably never meet an intelligent species from another world for one reason or another

"Probably" still has possibilities however slim, im good with that.