Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buttigieg Surges to 3rd Place in Iowa

Raptor Witness

Buttigieg surges to third place in new Iowa poll - The Hill 

Eleven percent of likely Democratic Iowa caucus goers surveyed by Emerson Polling said they would pick Buttigieg to be their 2020 presidential nominee.

• Thanks 1

who's Buttigieg? Is it a cartoon character? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Naval Intelligence officer in the Naval reserve, Afghan vet,  Mayor of South Bend Indiana, magna cum laude of Harvard, speaks seven languages.

But also openly gay with a last name of Buttigieg.

Despite our progress, I don't think Americans are open-minded enough to elect him.  He's married to Chasten Glezman.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I'm afraid the name would stand against him. And mayor of South Bend, Indiana as well :hmm: He's got his work cut out I'd say, though jolly best of luck to him. :cat: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Naval Intelligence officer in the Naval reserve, Afghan vet,  Mayor of South Bend Indiana, magna cum laude of Harvard, speaks seven languages.

Despite our progress, I don't think Americans are open-minded enough to elect him.  He's married to Chasten Glezman.

I think he'd poll better than you imagine.  He's quick, incisive and most important - articulate.  I think his youthful, almost boyish appearance would be a bigger obstacle than his sexual preference.  His, their whole field's, biggest challenge is that there are still enough Americans rooted in the reality that nothing is really free.  That kind of pandering is like a disease that populations have to be reintroduced to every century or so to build up a new immunity to... it's a damned shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Yes, I'm afraid the name would stand against him. And mayor of South Bend, Indiana as well :hmm: He's got his work cut out I'd say, though jolly best of luck to him. :cat: 

Yep, Buttigieg from South Bend would be a slow, lazy curveball right over the plate for Trump.  It'd be vicious for awhile but he'd have to be careful not to go too far with it.  

7 minutes ago, and then said:

Yep, Buttigieg from South Bend would be a slow, lazy curveball right over the plate for Trump.  It'd be vicious for awhile but he'd have to be careful not to go too far with it.  

Luckily, Trump has proven to have both excellent impulse control and a high bar for his creative insults.  I'm sure it'll be great.

• Haha 4

Just now, Socks Junior said:

Luckily, Trump has proven to have both excellent impulse control and a high bar for his creative insults.  I'm sure it'll be great.

Yeah... what could go wrong? :w00t:  Fortunately, his base know he's the only life preserver in a very large ocean full of sharks...

• Confused 1

I hope they do not push for him because he is gay.      It seemed to me that they pushed for Hillary because she was a woman.   It seemed they pushed for Obama because he was black.  I really don't like seeing those kinds of traits exploited.   Go with the best person for the job.    I don't think the Republicans did any better.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Best laugh of the day so far.

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I thought the thing same thing about President Obama. All of those progressive voters are still around. 

The under 30 crowd, could care less, for the most part, Many of the conservative over 30, if they have to choose between Trump, again, and a gay guy will just simply stay home. 

The lack of truth, creates a backlash, which I think could overcome the sexual orientation issue. 

Trump is a greater blow to the American psyche than a gay guy in the White House right now. I think many people are so p***ed off, they might do it just for the humor of watching Trump lose to a gay man.  We saw a similar type of backlash when we elected Jimmy Carter after the Nixon debacle. Now, of course Carter wasn’t gay, but compare him to other presidents. He’s a much softer male character type.

Edited by Raptor Witness

4 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

I thought the thing same thing about President Obama. All of those progressive voters are still around. 

Progressive voters were not the ones responsible for Obama winning his election.

Conservative voters were.

Edited by Will Due

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Progressive voters were not the ones responsible for Obama winning his election.

Conservative voters were.

I think Trump has put the final nail in the coffin for conservativism. By the time the progressives are done serving his plate of corruption, I think the conservatives will be hanging their heads so low with shame that they will commit political suicide in droves.

Traditional conservatism dies with Donald Trump. A neo-progressivism will take it’s place.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

I think Trump has put the final nail in the coffin for conservativism. By the time the progressives are done serving his plate of corruption, I think the conservatives will be hanging their heads so low with shame that they will commit political suicide in droves.

Traditional conservatism dies with Donald Trump. A neo-progressivism will take it’s place.

Trump is neither a fiscal conservative nor a social conservative.  His platform is based of popularism and fear.

After he is long gone conservatives will look back and say, "He wasn't one of us."  Sky-high deficit spending, interfering with free trade with tariffs, and other government regulations and interference with international trade knocks him out of the fiscal conservative category.  Cheating on all three of his wives, playing golf on Sundays, and the constant lying and scandals knocks him out of the social conservative category as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Trump is neither a fiscal conservative nor a social conservative.  His platform is based of popularism and fear.

After he is long gone conservatives will look back and say, "He wasn't one of us."  Sky-high deficit spending, interfering with free trade with tariffs, and other government regulations and interference with international trade knocks him out of the fiscal conservative category.  Cheating on all three of his wives, playing golf on Sundays, and the constant lying and scandals knocks him out of the social conservative category as well. 

But. at least... Yeah.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

I hope they do not push for him because he is gay.      It seemed to me that they pushed for Hillary because she was a woman.   It seemed they pushed for Obama because he was black.  I really don't like seeing those kinds of traits exploited.   Go with the best person for the job.    I don't think the Republicans did any better.    

I heard somewhere that straight old white men get inordinately picked on  (not my experience).

Your world is rocked by diversity?

9 hours ago, Gromdor said:

oh come on, look at all the unlimited entertainment he's provided for at least four years now. Would you be willing to forego that? All the pundits and former CIA Chiefs he's kept in business, or in publicity at any rate. 

Playing golf on Sundays is one of his sins now as well? :P 

6 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I heard somewhere that straight old white men get inordinately picked on  (not my experience).

Your world is rocked by diversity?

I think the argument was that candidates shouldn't be picked just because they tick one or more of the Diversity boxes, but because of their leadership qualities, competence and charisma. As we saw with The Astonishing Donald. 

2000 WINNING ESSAY BY PETER BUTTIGIEG 

.... “He(Bernie Sanders) and few others like him have the power to restore principle and leadership in Congress and to win back the faith of a voting public weary and wary of political opportunism. Above all, I commend Bernie Sanders for giving me an answer to those who say American young people see politics as a cesspool of corruption, beyond redemption.”

......“I have heard that no sensible young person today would want to give his or her life to public service. I can personally assure you this is untrue.”

Interesting that Buttigieg’s early source of inspiration was apparently Bernie Sanders.

If you add to the CNN clip above, his early essay, it’s clear that Buttigieg’s study of political motivation, is part of his psyche. 

A student of motivation is a true political animal, so I can buy into his concept of public service as a reasonable aspiration. This is also natural for gay men, as a defense and survival mechanism. So I can see politics as a good fit for him.

We don’t have many modern Da Vinci types, in terms of natural intelligence, coupled with political prowess. I just hope that his survival skills are as good as Da Vinci’s.

Edited by Raptor Witness

16 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I think the argument was that candidates shouldn't be picked just because they tick one or more of the Diversity boxes, but because of their leadership qualities, competence and charisma. As we saw with The Astonishing Donald. 

Oh,I got that part. As well though, they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand just because they're diverse.

Edit: Having used the word 'diverse' I'd like to say how much I hate it. It's become the new synonym for "not an old rich straight white man" which has sadly been the 'norm' since time immemorial.

Edited by Likely Guy

Here's a broader clip from this Town Hall, which intrigues me even more about Buttigieg's problem solving abilities. It might disappear later, since this isn't a CNN link.

Of course it's uncomfortable, being in a traditional marriage to hear about this guy's "husband," but if I compare this discomfort to say ..... the droves of women who JFK reportedly had sex with in the White House, to Bill Clinton's embarrassing escapades, or Donald's Trump's admitted genitalia grabbing philosophy, can I really be that uncomfortable with this guy?  I don't think so.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Pete Buttigieg Says His Democratic Presidential Bid Has Raised $7 Million-Plus - HP 4-1-2019

His campaign has since confirmed that he has at least 65,000 individual donors, the threshold needed to allow him to qualify for the Democratic primary debates.

Buttigieg’s fundraising haul falls short of that of some better-known rivals in the Democratic race. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) raised over $10 million in the first week of his campaign. And former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) raised over $6 million in the first 24 hours after he announced his bid.

Interesting that Donald Trump hasn't responded to this guy's criticisms, yet. I guess Trump views him as a "flea," or perhaps, a "boy?"

Getting my popcorn ready .... 

Edited by Raptor Witness