Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Never Argue if they Never Play Defense

Aquila King

This doesn't just apply to politics, but to nearly any internet "discussion" with people who act this way:

There are plenty of posters here, as well as other sites out there who use this same tactic. And it's almost always a waste to even engage with them. This video most adequately explains why.

• Like 5

Unfortunately this sort of behaviour is very common today and it is completely useless to even try to have a conversation with them they are best ignored. Give them a smiley instead of debating with them cause thats what they are laughable :-D

• Like 3

If "playing defense" means interminable wrangling over minutia and questionable sources then why bother.  Those like yourself have a penchant for lobbing what you consider to be unassailable "facts" that simply aren't provable, yet you assume they must be taken as gospel.  This is your way of waving the flag on top of the hill you couldn't capture through rhetoric.  Hint:  That hill you're standing on smells bad and is mushy underfoot for a good reason :w00t: 

BTW, how's that whole Collusion thingy workin' for ya?  And what's with all the cartoon character AVs?  Try to pick one and stick with a theme ;) 

Edited by and then
  • Haha 1

what does it mean? Do I have to watch a video to find out?

21 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

what does it mean? Do I have to watch a video to find out?

Its actually a pretty spot on description of the tactics used to avoid quality discussion on an issue and the psychological reasoning behind the tactics.

Or as you may call it....A mirror :lol:

Im kidding im kidding its my friday and I got like 3 hours of sleep last night

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very true. 

People tend to go for ATTACK when they don’t have anything to add. 

The most common go to: Calm down! Personal attacks etc, however if same was done to them they will kick up a stink. 

Plus people tend tend to not like if they can’t label you or put you in a box. 

Oh you believe XYZ so you’re this where as the other person believes ABC.

Both have the right to believe what they do.  

You have an opinion on something someone has to attack rather then have a civil debate 

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Im kidding im kidding its my friday and I got like 3 hours of sleep last night

Off topic for a moment, hope you get sleep soon. 

Back on topic

Poltics and other topics that can widely divide people into You vs Me. 

The internet to a point has made it easier for people to attack others, because it’s not face to face and instead is behind a screen. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Impedancer said:

Unfortunately this sort of behaviour is very common today and it is completely useless to even try to have a conversation with them they are best ignored. Give them a smiley instead of debating with them cause thats what they are laughable :-D

The laugh react on UM is so handy when people think they’re getting you upset etc. 

Trying to have a conversation with some is like chess with a pigeon. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

The laugh react on UM is so handy when people think they’re getting you upset etc. 

Trying to have a conversation with some is like chess with a pigeon. 

There's the laugh react people use as a sort of makeshift dislike button, but there's also the confused react too they use to show distaste. Which IMO is even funnier cause if they use it enough it just makes them look like they're in a perpetual state of confusion and don't understand dick about anything. :lol:

• Haha 3

Btw, @Farmer77 How've you been lately? ^_^ Haven't seen or heard from you since I was perma-banned from the News and Politics boards here.

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

Btw, @Farmer77 How've you been lately? ^_^ Haven't seen or heard from you since I was perma-banned from the News and Politics boards here.

Hey im good man , busy as hell.  I was wondering why you hadn't  been around. 

How about you? Staying sane without being able to yell at people here? :D

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Lol, I'm doing okay. Been backing off more and more from discussing politics in general on other sites anyways. The above video is just one of the many reasons why.

Though don't worry, there are plenty of other topics for me to yell at people over. ;) :whistle: :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

There's the laugh react people use as a sort of makeshift dislike button, but there's also the confused react too they use to show distaste. Which IMO is even funnier cause if they use it enough it just makes them look like they're in a perpetual state of confusion and don't understand dick about anything. :lol:

Yes it’s awesome for for annoying people. 

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Lol he’s used to hearing/ well reading me yell enough for the both of us. 

Just make sure you’re lookinh after yourself 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquila King said:

:o I didn't know they do things that way here. I'm sorry to hear that and that is a shame. I actually found some of your posts and threads interesting in that section, whenever I have the time to read social media online. Like this thread. :)

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Katniss said:

:o I didn't know they do things that way here. I'm sorry to hear that and that is a shame. I actually found some of your posts and threads interesting in that section, whenever I have the time to read social media online. Like this thread. :)

There’s different bans, you can be banned from some areas which is better then a whole site ban :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

Hey, I'm just glad it wasn't a ban from the whole site at least. :lol: Got a good number of friends here I'd hate to leave. Anyway, that's all I'm gonna say on this topic.

Thanks though, I appreciate it. :)

• Like 2

I didn't watch the video, but is it sort of like moving the goal posts?

You meet the requirements to prove your point and they just move on to another subject? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

I didn't watch the video, but is it sort of like moving the goal posts?

You meet the requirements to prove your point and they just move on to another subject? 

I'm only two minutes in, but so far, pretty much.

BTW: Nice to see you around again Rose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2019 at 3:53 PM, Impedancer said:

There just seems to be no point to it. 

• Like 1

It’s happening a lot in the moms app and Facebook moms/moms to be group I’m in, on the topic of calm birthing. 

One side Calm birthing is the only way to birth, c sections shouldn’t be used unless you have no other choice and don’t use pain medications. All you need it to breathe and meditate through it all. 

DONT allow them to induce you, up to 42 weeks pregnant is ok. 

The other side, go with what you feel is best for your body and your baby. 

If pain relief is needed by you use it. 

If you need induction get it, after 37 weeks you are full term and 38 weeks on the placenta (according to Drs) can start to stop working and die off. 

• Like 2

I didn't post for a while because I was just so sick of it all. 

I try to stay away from all the political crap now, and even the arguments about God. 

It's all futile, and it just gets me disappointed in humanity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

It’s happening a lot in the moms app and Facebook moms/moms to be group I’m in, on the topic of calm birthing. 

One side Calm birthing is the only way to birth, c sections shouldn’t be used unless you have no other choice and don’t use pain medications. All you need it to breathe and meditate through it all. 

DONT allow them to induce you, up to 42 weeks pregnant is ok. 

The other side, go with what you feel is best for your body and your baby. 

If pain relief is needed by you use it. 

If you need induction get it, after 37 weeks you are full term and 38 weeks on the placenta (according to Drs) can start to stop working and die off. 

They don't even have to directly accuse you of anything, so long as they subtlety imply that by doing or not doing this or that that it means you're a bad mother.

Always getting you to play defense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GlitterRose said:

I didn't post for a while because I was just so sick of it all. 

I try to stay away from all the political crap now, and even the arguments about God. 

It's all futile, and it just gets me disappointed in humanity. 

I feel ya. I'm mostly the same way... :hmm:

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

They don't even have to directly accuse you of anything, so long as they subtlety imply that by doing or not doing this or that that it means you're a bad mother.

Always getting you to play defense.

Oh if you don’t breastfeed your selfish, just ask them. 

Oh and only cloth diapers allowed you uncaring fiend 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

Oh if you don’t breastfeed your selfish, just ask them. 

Oh and only cloth diapers allowed you uncaring fiend 

Which then means you correct their short quippy accusations, and they just ignore your response and go back to accusations. They never play defense.

Only way to win is to not play their game.

• Like 2