Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

megalodon sighting

Hotoke

Their is no plausibility either. All known modern deep water sharks belong to families other than Lamnidae and have determined ancestry.

3. Squaliformes (Dogfish) have been around since the Jurassic period (160-200 mya). This is a large and varied order containing 106 identified species in seven families; bramble sharks (Echinorhinidae), dogfish sharks (Squalidae), gulper sharks (Centrophoridae), lantern sharks, (Etmopteridae), sleeper sharks (Somniosidae), roughsharks (Oxynotidae), and kitefin sharks (Dalatiidae). The dogfish sharks habitat is wide ranging with species found in marine estuarine environments world-wide. Currently they are the only known sharks to be found at high latitudes close to the poles. Their greatest diversity occurs in deepwater. They have a cylindrical/torpedo shaped body with the eyes on the side of the head, 5 gill slits, 2 dorsal fins (in some species these are spined), and no anal fins. They are ovoviviparous with some species having a low fertility of just 1 pup per litter (e.g.: the gulper shark Centrophorus granulosus) and other species having a very long gestation period of 18-24 months (e.g.: the spiny dogfish Squalus acanthias). Some species are thought to be solitary; others form schools that range long distances during seasonal and annual migrations.

From Shark Evolution and Classification

In the similar manner, the plankton feeders (e.g. Megamouth) also have a determined ancestry. This study nicely covers the ancestry of family Megachasmidae.

The skeletal features of Megalodon vastly differ from the skeletal features of all the known deep water species indicating adaptation to a significantly different life style.

Adaptation to a completely different life style hints towards noticeable physical changes in an animal. The evolutionary trend in fossils of such an animal would indicate a possible shift in its habitat with passage of time which is not the case with Megalodon.

Take the example of great white shark; This species is 16 MYA and it maintains its active life style. It is rumored to target even giant squids in deep waters but this move does not suggests that great white shark is evolving in to something else. It is doing what it can do within its biological and physical limits.

Ya, I said: It negates plausibility and probability. No need for rants here.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mattshark

• J.B.

• Fernand0

• Orkid

:w00t: why can't the mega sharks exist in the deep? they have proven that giant squids exists and how about the giant blue whale? tell me how often do people really see the creatures on a day to daY BASIS? they alone are scarey enough.

The naysayers seem to be ignoring the obvious ? Sharks are cannibalistic and with all the deep water species of sharks also quite large there would be no danger of starvation .

I must say the idea of a 50' shark cruising the oceans scares the hell out of me . :o

:w00t: why can't the mega sharks exist in the deep? they have proven that giant squids exists and how about the giant blue whale? tell me how often do people really see the creatures on a day to daY BASIS? they alone are scarey enough.

Because you completely ignored what I pointed out to you before and how your previous statement was erroneous.

Squids are squishier.

Sharks are not squishy.

Nibs

ETA- Mattshark will tell me if this is accurate but...

Whale Physiology

Edited by HerNibs