Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Poisonous toads invade Florida community

Still Waters

Thousands of poisonous toads are swarming a Palm Beach Gardens community, and it's leaving neighbors concerned.

Jennie Quasha, who lives in the Mirabella neighborhood, sent WPTV photos showing hundreds upon hundreds of amphibians clogging people's pools, patios, and even spread out all over the street.

"I just see a massive amount of toads or frogs everywhere, covering every square inch," said Quasha. "You can't even walk through the grass without stepping on one."

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-palm-beach-county/palm-beach-gardens/palm-beach-gardens-community-concerned-over-outbreak-of-toads

https://www.sciencealert.com/florida-community-taken-over-by-thousands-of-toxic-toads-covering-every-square-inch

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Insert punchy satirical remark about a convention of lawyers and/or Congresspeople visiting the area here  .... :innocent: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's Trump's fault. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

This must be a resurgent year for them. They are native to the state but they've been establishing themselves since 1955 when they were accidentally released. Alligators get into Florida communities for the same reason. They are part of the habitat. Florida wildlife authorities will need to see if they can contain them somehow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, susieice said:

It's Trump's fault. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

This must be a resurgent year for them. They are not native to the state but they've been establishing themselves since 1955 when they were accidentally released. Alligators get into Florida communities for the same reason. They are part of the habitat. Florida wildlife authorities will need to see if they can contain them somehow.

• Like 2

They've always had them down there. No one discusses it much except voodoo people 

• Like 3

Sounds like a classic Biblical plague - or a bunch of politicians.  Six of one...

We have tons of iguanas here as well. FL has the perfect temperature for basically anything cold blooded. That's why Trump lives in FL

• Haha 1

lol great.. i live close to that area haha

As some like to call them, tourists and spring breakers, clogging up the roads, theme parks and restaurants!

I kid, sort of......

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, esoteric_toad said:

As some like to call them, tourists and spring breakers, clogging up the roads, theme parks and restaurants!

I kid, sort of......

My little stretch of the Gulf Coast in Alabama is becoming a summertime nightmare for traffic.  The benefits of touri$m are undeniable, though.

2 hours ago, and then said:

My little stretch of the Gulf Coast in Alabama is becoming a summertime nightmare for traffic.  The benefits of touri$m are undeniable, though.

I have to keep reminding myself of that:blink: ESPECIALLY on the weekends when I am working. Beginning to feel like a grumpy old man. As one of the rare natives (born here many decades ago, lived here my whole life) it boggles my mind how many people want to come here...but I guess that I see the place differently.

These look remarkbly simular to our plague of Cane Toads over here in Australia

Introduced by some very thoughtfull fool to control pests in the Cane Fields, we

knoiw very well what is the pest now!