Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

George Lucas to remaster star wars... agai

hereticspl

George Lucas has recently revealed in an interview that he is currently working on plans to remaster the classic star wars trilogy. On top of updated cgi Lucas has made public his plans to digitally add female storm troopers to the films in order to keep star wars "relevant" to new audiences. George Lucas had this to say in an interview with filmnews.com "I think it's important that new generations can watch the star wars movies and feel the same sense of wonder kids did when the movies were originally released".

When asked about what changes might be made he stated "in order for new generations to really enjoy the movies it's important they can feel a sense or relation to it. So with that in mind I have decided to use cgi to add female storm troopers. Yeah I just thought if new generation consumers are going to believe what they're watching than what they see needs to reflect reality in some way.

With the me #metoo movement in full swing Lucas was quick to defend his decisions saying hes not just pandering to social norms but trying to portray the kind of message he wanted to when he originally developed the movies but couldn't due to technical and budgetary restraints.

To which the Anti-SJW crowd will flip their s**t over it, the hardcore Star Wars fan community will be irritated by the mere fact that they changed something - anything - about their precious movies, while the rest of us regular human beings will be largely unphased either way.

• Like 1

I guess he is not making any money out of the older figures the hard older core fans sell to each other, so now he can make money out of the new lot from the younger fans. Good business move.

• Like 1

I thought that was a couple of years ago by JJ Abrams. At any rate, he reissued a mildly revamped new edition of A New Hope, didn't he. :hmm: 

4 hours ago, hereticspl said:

Lucas has made public his plans to digitally add female storm troopers to the films in order to keep star wars "relevant" to new audiences

How the **** is he going to make that obvious, seeing as they all wear totally enclosing armour, including full-face helmets? are they going to have figure-hugging armour like a remake of Barbarella or something? Silly man.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, hereticspl said:

George Lucas has recently revealed in an interview that he is currently working on plans to remaster the classic star wars trilogy. On top of updated cgi Lucas has made public his plans to digitally add female storm troopers to the films in order to keep star wars "relevant" to new audiences.

Can you provide a source link for this ?

The only reference I can find is that he originally intended for there to be female stormtroopers, not that he's going to remaster the films to add them.

Also, given that he's sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney, does he even have the rights to make/release a new remaster ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Saru said:

Can you provide a source link for this ?

The only reference I can find is that he originally intended for there to be female stormtroopers, not that he's going to remaster the films to add them.

Also, given that he's sold the Star Wars franchise to Disney, does he even have the rights to make/release a new remaster ?

Disney...could have plans to remaster Star Wars.  The only thing George Lucas could do is lend his advice to Disney since as  you  said, Disney owns the franchise now.

Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

Disney is doing all kinds of things with the Star Wars universe now that it has purchased the franchise away from George Lucas. In addition to the three sequel films, there will be "at least three" spin-off movies, which will likely be origin stories for some of the supporting cast of Star Wars characters. The House of Mouse is pouring a tremendous amount of time and money into Star Wars, and Disney could be the new arbiter of the Holy Grail of Star Wars requests: a remastered release of the unedited, non-special-edition original trilogy.

Unadulterated, "pure" versions of the original Star Wars films are difficult to come by. Except for one sad, low-resolution release on DVD in 2006 (which we'll discuss in a moment), the films have only been available in their modified "Special Edition" forms since 1997, when George Lucas re-released the films to theaters with a series of changes

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

To which the Anti-SJW crowd will flip their s**t over it, the hardcore Star Wars fan community will be irritated by the mere fact that they changed something - anything - about their precious movies, while the rest of us regular human beings will be largely unphased either way.

Well, personally I'd call myself a SJW (so not Anti-SJW) and I'm not a hardcore Star Wars fan. But I'm very much against the idea of updating or changing 40+ year old movies.

Though I gotta admit I like some of the GCI additions, I've seen the original version of the final of the original movies some years back, and I gotta say the alien music number is now much more exiting and colourful in the new version, and it's a nice addition to see the fall of the Empire celebrated across the Galaxy.
And I do think, if it was to happen, that female Storm Troopers could be included without replacing or changing any original footage: Since it would be impossible to tell a Storm Troopers sex under all that armour, the only way they could make clear that there's some women under all that white plastic is if they inserted some brief scene(s) depicting the Death Star's  crew quarters with female storm troopers hanging out there with their helmets off or in off-duty attire. Maybe some sort of reaction shot to the planet being destroyed or to the intruder alert. I guess that wouldn't harm the original footage, as long as they make the actors featured look like they were in a 70s sci-fi movie.
A reaction shot like that could also be employed to show that the Storm Troopers, after all, are human(oid) with some of them maybe being exited that the Empire they serve has such a powerful weapon, with others being visibly shaken by the loss of civilian life and so forth. 

As to Lukas "always intending" to include feale Storm Troopers....yeah....sure....he "always" planned to do that. Just like he "always" planned for Darth Vader to be Luke's father, and "always" planned for Leia to be his sister (that's why he had them kiss and all) and "always" planned for there to be 9 movies....no wait...6 movies....no wait....9 movies!
Just like J.K. Rowling always planned for all the new information she's pulling out of her behind right now.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

The sad truth is, the behemoth that is Disney is about three things profit, profit and how to exploit children for financial gain.  I'm being harsh I know, but truthful.  The Last Jedi was a let down, The Solo movie totally bombed, so how can they make a great Star Wars Franchise film that will do well at the box office and not have warehouses full of unsold merchandise?  Why, add 5 minutes of non relevant CGI to the originals and release it of course.

It makes me sad that the future generations will not be able to see the beautiful but wholly tarnished originals in the context of the decades in which they were produced, a universe in which siblings get it on, Only three women are allowed to appear in public, only one of which is relevant and there is only one black guy in the whole universe.

I give 3 to 1 odds that somehow Disney will manage to screw it up somewhere along the way.

I was wondering if they were using clones in IV,V and VI.  Female stormtroopers would mean no.