Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New cars will have "speed limiters" in Europe

Eldorado

3 minutes ago, travelnjones said:

So what happens in German?

I think I`m qualified enough to answer. :lol:

In 2 words: no way. Some weeks ago, again, a discussion started here about a general speed limit on our Autobahn. We have that frequently and always with the same result: no general speed limit. Thus, a discussion about limiting the speed of cars technically, like Volvo did, would lead to public tar and feather of the politicians who would put such stupid idea on the table.

• Like 2

It just seems like a horrible idea there.  I can not think of a GPS technology that would be fast enough to determine coordinates of a road near the autobahn vs the actual autobahn.  Just merging from governed speed to non governed could create a dangerous situation, where you are not moving fast enough let alone a software hiccup / maleware attack.  Just the forced firmware update at freeway speed could be dangerous.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, toast said:

In 2 words: no way. Some weeks ago, again, a discussion started here about a general speed limit on our Autobahn. We have that frequently and always with the same result: no general speed limit. Thus, a discussion about limiting the speed of cars technically, like Volvo did, would lead to public tar and feather of the politicians who would put such stupid idea on the table.

Yes, this was my first thought. Will the Germans put up with this. No not likely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toast said:

Mmmmm, that 70 Charger would be flat out open on the Autobahn... at least once. But I too had sort of wondered how Germany might handle this "speed limiters" news considering some family stories I've heard about driving rather nice European sports cars out that way.

And I also wonder... could a 70 Charger be street legal over there? Pretty much most vehicles can be shipped here and street legal, or at least to an extent. Assuming one would and could pay for the shipping and all the other expenses involved. Do you guys allow old cars on the road like we do in the states? I have to admit, I don't know much about vehicle regulations over there. I was over in Scotland ages ago, and all the cars in the city seemed nicer/newer from what I can recall. The roads were much more narrow too, a 70 Charger might be just too wide to fit on the road. But it does make me wonder about classic cars over there and what sorts of ramifications this could have on those vehicles being potentially grandfathered or banned in the future? Or if this would only effect new model cars?

Sorry to wander in my musings.

9 hours ago, rashore said:

(...) But I too had sort of wondered how Germany might handle this "speed limiters" news considering some family stories I've heard about driving rather nice European sports cars out that way.

The speed limiter issue will never be an issue here. In my last post I forgot to mention that there is a kind of speed limiting here but thats based on a gentlemen agreement between Mercedes/BMW/Audi (Porsche did not) and it was established in the 80s. These manufacturers agreed on to limit their strong cars for a top speed of 250km/h. It was a agreement by the industry itself but not a law by the government. But the agreement is lip service, because if you order such a car you can order the deactivation of the limiter for extra money. In such case BMW for example recommend a driver safety training, offered by BMW of course, to the buyer/driver of the car.

And I also wonder... could a 70 Charger be street legal over there? Pretty much most vehicles can be shipped here and street legal, or at least to an extent. Assuming one would and could pay for the shipping and all the other expenses involved. Do you guys allow old cars on the road like we do in the states? I have to admit, I don't know much about vehicle regulations over there. I was over in Scotland ages ago, and all the cars in the city seemed nicer/newer from what I can recall. The roads were much more narrow too, a 70 Charger might be just too wide to fit on the road.

Of course its possible to operate a 70 Charger legal here (BTW,  68/69/70 Chargers are my favorite US muscle cars). We have a small US vintage cars scene here and a number of car dealers who are specialized in the import and technical modification of such cars. Technical modifications are, for example, headlight glasses, reverse light, hazard flasher and some others. In addition, owners of vintage cars (German or foreign build) which are authentic, in OEM conditions and at least 30 years old can apply for a so called H-registration (H for historic) with the benefit of a reduced vehicle tax rate of ca. 200€/year, which is a pretty good deal under the consideration that a big 6.6l 70 charger would cost 1673€ a year.

But it does make me wonder about classic cars over there and what sorts of ramifications this could have on those vehicles being potentially grandfathered or banned in the future? Or if this would only effect new model cars?

We have a handfuls of morons here who ask to ban vintage cars because of environmental reasons but these people dont have an audience so there is no danger these cars to get grandfathered or banned in the future. The most H-registered cars a fun cars only with very low mileages per year. And as long as we run coal-fired power plants and accept dirty big ships, propelled by heavy fuel oil, in our harbors any discussion about the air pollution rate by vintage cars is absurd.

Sorry to wander in my musings.

Go ahead!