Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY county declares measles outbreak emergency

Still Waters

A county in New York state has declared a state of emergency following a severe outbreak of measles.

Rockland County, on the Hudson river north of New York City, has barred unvaccinated children from public spaces after 153 cases were confirmed.

Violating the order will be punishable by a fine of $500 (£378) and up to six months in prison.

The announcement follows other outbreaks of the disease in Washington, California, Texas and Illinois.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47715169

• Sad 4

The outbreak has mainly been isolated in a couple of communities within Rockland County, which is just north of New York City, but the whole community is at risk, he said, noting that there have been complications among patients, including a premature labor and a handful of hospitalizations.

The outbreak began when an unvaccinated resident became infected while visiting Israel and returned with the disease. It has mostly affected observant Jewish neighborhoods. Statewide, there have been at least 345 cases of measles reported since October.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/26/health/rockland-new-york-measles-unvaccinated-ban-bn/index.html

Hasidic jews do not follow our laws much when it comes to their kids, very similar to Amish communities.  they go to their own kindergartens, and yeshivas. limited contact outside the community.

Edited by aztek

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

Hasidic jews do not follow our laws much when it comes to their kids, very similar to Amish communities.  they go to their own kindergartens, and yeshivas. limited contact outside the community.

Amish vaccinate. I did ranch work and logged with them for years. They are about not using frivolous technology, but they are not backwards or superstitious. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Amish vaccinate. I did ranch work and logged with them for years. They are about not using frivolous technology, but they are not backwards or superstitious. 

Study: Low vaccination rate in Amish children linked to hospitalization

Researchers studied Penn State Children’s Hospital’s medical records for children under 18 who were diagnosed with a VPD from 2005-’15. Children were classified as Plain (Amish and Mennonite) or non-Plain, although when looking at rates, researchers did not have enough data to include the Mennonite population.

Roughly 92% of the Plain children in the study were unvaccinated compared to 17% of the non-Plain children.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2017/08/02/AmishVaccines080217

maybe you worked with 8% who vaccinate

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, aztek said:

maybe you worked with 8% who vaccinate

Tetanus vaccination is required if you want to work for a ranch or logging outfit. So you maybe right. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Piney said:

We buy pies from them. Great people, great pies (they are so full of sugar lol)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Living in vancouver wa, we also have an outbreak.  But the response in NY is a little draconian, and seemingly impossible to police.  "Is that kid vaccinated?"  "umm..Yes"

When my kids went to school I had to show their immunization records. Do they not do that anymore?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, susieice said:

When my kids went to school I had to show their immunization records. Do they not do that anymore?

not when it comes to hasidic yeshivas apparently.  it's a very different culture.

Edited by aztek

All these college students aren't hasidic yeshivas. When the kids at Temple started kindergarten they had their shots. They're lining up for boosters now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aztek said:

not when it comes to hasidic yeshivas apparently.  it's a very different culture.

That's just pieces of pvc pipe surrounding a section of  a town. They still have to go to a  licensed physician who issues the record card.

2 minutes ago, susieice said:

All these college students aren't hasidic yeshivas.

I just answered why that would have nothing to do with a doctor issuing a card

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

All these college students aren't hasidic yeshivas. When the kids at Temple started kindergarten they had their shots. They're lining up for boosters now. 

not all but majority of affected are hosidic Jews living in pretty much closed community, it says so in the article. 

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's just pieces of pvc pipe surrounding a section of  a town. They still have to go to a  licensed physician who issues the record card.

if so many of them got sick in closed community, it appears many were not vaccinated. seems like their requirements may be a bit different from ours schools.  

2 minutes ago, aztek said:

if so many of them got sick in closed community, it appears many were not vaccinated. seems like their requirements may be a bit different from ours schools.  

I was talking about showing proof after the fact of the requirement since they are going to make it a public reg, not a school one. 

I seen so many of these folks busted by me for welfare fraud, Including several Rabbis it was pathetic. I know all about them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I was talking about showing proof after the fact of the requirement since they are going to make it a public reg, not a school one. 

I seen so many of these folks busted by me for welfare fraud, Including several Rabbis it was pathetic. I know all about them. 

i believe that,  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

i believe that,  

One of the reasons I got railroaded. Not only was I picking on the wrong mayor and wrong freeholder. I was picking on the wrong Rabbi. 

Just a quick note, I don't think they are all the same, I mean some parts of religious groups live a little different than maybe the main group of said cult/sect whatever. Some I've known vaccinate and really the topic hasn't come up much, don't even think about it. Take the following with a grain of salt as I'm no expert.

Amish and or Mennonite oh there's a ton I'm sure I don't even know,
Dukabors/Dukhobor/DuoDoukhobors/Doukhobourites, Hooterites, Quakers and I'm sure I butchered some of those names with excellent typos too!;
bottom line all of those tight little sects call them what you will-- have mud on
them especially if one looks into it, but they are a damn site better than some citizens, look at their kids.
Some are highly educated and in real colleges not baptish whaterver bringthemyoung churchy fake tripe schools, some are Veterinarians too! 

Lastly, other notes noted:::Not sure on stats for each regarding Anti-Vax. I suppose its possible but I think some are pretty tight lipped.  Other misc.: Some of the larger ones, UTAH and ?
oh JW's always say when confronted with hardcopy proof of ugly nasty business people within or ugly things leaked out,
 always say every single time, those are a branch or not really part of our group.  Oh never forget
... praying hands with money, they do not pay taxes big difference than the rest well, most people no matter the country, and I can't believe it but I've heard that some are not overly religious either, ? certainly was new to me.

No I won't reply more I don't get to this site much, just saying, Most in those groups are fine people and some better than most but all have mud on them to some extent if one digs.  Probably like most of us HA!
Lastly, if someone says what's that got to do with, read it again and well pies don't either but nobody would debate that pies aren't certainly worth mentioning.
LAterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by MWoo7

• 3 weeks later...

The infancy of mans stupidity and death, two certainty’s. Surely you are not buying into these explanations ,open your eyes to how ridiculous this is. Take a look at what has been going on with self assembling graphene nanotechnology bacteria  and yeast cells. As an idea!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, Aspro said:

The infancy of mans stupidity and death, two certainty’s. Surely you are not buying into these explanations ,open your eyes to how ridiculous this is. Take a look at what has been going on with self assembling graphene nanotechnology bacteria  and yeast cells. As an idea!!!!!!!!!

Just because you can type random words into sentences on the Internet doesn’t mean you should.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Haha 1

On 3/27/2019 at 11:42 AM, Piney said:

It's more like a loophole lifestyle.   

We won't have electric at our home, but we'll use it elsewhere.

We won't own a car, but we'll accept rides in them.

We will use power tools as long as it isn't on our property.

We won't own a freezer, but we'll pay a neighbor $30 a month to keep one in his garage for us.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's more like a loophole lifestyle.   

There are a few of them but the few I was friendly with had all that. But trucks, not cars. 

It's kinda hard to log a woodlot, own a pork shop or work the cowboy trail without power tools, a freezer or a truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

There are a few of them but the few I was friendly with had all that. But trucks, not cars. 

It's kinda hard to log a woodlot, own a pork shop or work the cowboy trail without power tools, a freezer or a truck. 

That is true.

Around where I am, we have, what we call, the stupid Amish.   Their buggy's are all open instead of the enclosed buggy's others use.   It's pretty sad in the winter.  The whole family will be freezing in the rain, sleet or snow.   An hour north, they all have enclosed buggy's.   The reason I got when I asked them about it was that at one time only the rich had enclosed buggy's.   The Amish man I talked to also referred to himself as "the stupid Amish".   Ha ha

I just wish they would pick up their horse crap.   My county tried making it a law, but it was voted down when the Amish threatened to do something if it was passed.   I can't remember what the threat was.  Heck, it took 20 years to get them to agree to put orange slow moving vehicle signs or lights on their buggy's.    It took 5 Amish children dying in a week to get them to bend.   

It's also a bummer that they don't go to school past 8th grade.   It doesn't give the kids much hope of getting out if they want to.  I don't think McDonalds will hire you without a high school diploma.   

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1