Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deadly Rhesus Monkeys in Florida

Dark_Grey

I saw a recent thread on measles outbreaks but no one is talking about deadly monkey herpes!

Link

A population of monkeys that lives in Silver Springs State Park, carrying a herpes virus that is deadly to humans, could double in the next few years.

The troop of rhesus macaques were brought to Central Florida in the 1930s as part of a long-since closed attraction in the park. They were placed on a small island, but the monkeys didn’t stay there. There have been monkey sightings all over Central Florida, including one caught on camera in 2015 when students spotted a rhesus macaque running around on the roof of their school in The Villages. In 2017, cellphone video recorded aggressive monkeys taking over a park pavilion and going after people. The monkeys carry a herpes virus that is deadly to humans and can be spread through a bite or scratch.

“People should never approach these animals,” said University of Florida professor Steve Johnson, who was part of a team that spent years studying the monkeys. “People shouldn’t feed them. It’s not legal to feed them anymore.”

Researchers estimate the monkey population in Silver Springs is around 200,000. “By the year 2022, there are probably going to be around 400,000 animals,” Johnson said.

Stay safe, Floridians. Hopefully the big nile crocs down there will do most of the work. If not them, the giant boas should help. Is Florida slowly becoming the Congo?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I saw a recent thread on measles outbreaks but no one is talking about deadly monkey herpes!

Link

Stay safe, Floridians. Hopefully the big nile crocs down there will do most of the work. If not them, the giant boas should help. Is Florida slowly becoming the Congo?

If the population doubles every three years, then it means the boas and crocs aren't helping.....

• Like 4

Once you get out of the Panhandle, the state is becoming a cesspool.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, aztek said:

lucky for Florida residents, they are allowed to carry.

Well it seems the monkeys are carriers too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

35 minutes ago, aztek said:

lucky for Florida residents, they are allowed to carry.

Sheesh, trained cops in New York can't even shoot some guys on a sidewalk without hitting nine bystanders and you think a random Floridian is going to hit something as agile as a monkey? https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-9-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire

Heck, it's so hard to do that MIT made it into a physics problem: https://www.wired.com/2013/06/how-not-to-shoot-a-monkey-video-analysis-of-a-classic-physics-problem/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Sheesh, trained cops in New York can't even shoot some guys on a sidewalk without hitting nine bystanders and you think a random Floridian is going to hit something as agile as a monkey? https://www.foxnews.com/us/nypd-9-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire

Heck, it's so hard to do that MIT made it into a physics problem: https://www.wired.com/2013/06/how-not-to-shoot-a-monkey-video-analysis-of-a-classic-physics-problem/

i stopped reading after trained.  thanks for the laugh.

for everyone else who came across your post

The Average Civilian Pistol Permit Holder Is Better With Their Weapons Than Most Cops.

https://havokjournal.com/nation/the-average-civilian-pistol-permit-holder-is-a-better-shot-than-most-cops/

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Link

Yes.. Ive done pest control a few years ago. In FL it's a 7 day 24 hour problem. It's the only place in the US that has a warm environment year round and where warm/cold blooded animals thrive. My boss was making about $250,000 a year from the pest control industry. He forced himself to take off Sundays. The main problem here imo is Mosquitoes, Boas and of course raccoons that carry rabies lol

Edited by AllPossible
  • Thanks 1

Seriously though, you've been to India right?  The Rhesus monkeys there will mess you up.  Heck, they've killed people there. https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/12/death-by-killer-monkeys-on-the-rise-in-india/

You p*** them off by shooting at them and the next thing you know, they drop a brick on your head when you are walking out the door.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Seriously though, you've been to India right?  The Rhesus monkeys there will mess you up.  Heck, they've killed people there. https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2015/12/death-by-killer-monkeys-on-the-rise-in-india/

You p*** them off by shooting at them and the next thing you know, they drop a brick on your head when you are walking out the door.

are they bulletproof?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years back I boated up the back way to silver springs many times, we would make a day of it, you could boat right up to where the glass bottom boats were, it was just roped off, i swam where they filmed a favorite flick creature from the black lagoon.

I have seen monkeys and apes wild in florida, many road side zoos just turned them out, tropical wonderland in Titusville did,

But i didnt see all these rhesus monkeys, in fact on the boat trips dating back to the 80s i never saw one,

Some monkeys do carry a deadly herpes virus but i would hope the state doesnt something before there is some tribe of monkeys killing people, 200k is a lot of hazard.

3 minutes ago, aztek said:

are they bulletproof?

For someone who is pro-gun rights, you don't strike me as someone with much practice.  You should come here to Iowa and try shooting some squirrels or coyotes.  Trust me guns are not the solution to a monkey problem. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rhesus monkeys tried to swim out to the boat my husband and his brother were on. There were a bunch of them on shore and of course my husband started imitating them. That made them angry and they started swimming towards the boat raising a huge ruckus. They didn't know these moneys could swim. Needless to say, they won't do that again. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

For someone who is pro-gun rights, you don't strike me as someone with much practice. 

yet regardless of your feeling i have complete confidence if such monkey was close enough to pose danger i would hit it, i've hit much smaller targets.

i'm not sure what your point here is, that armed citizens should not attempt to protect themselves when in danger of getting bitten\infected??? or you just arguing with me for the sake of arguing?

Edited by aztek

Yes.. Ive done pest control a few years ago. In FL it's a 7 day 24 hour problem. It's the only place in the US that has a warm environment year round and where warm/cold blooded animals thrive. My boss was making about $250,000 a year from the pest control industry. He forced himself to take off Sundays. The main problem here imo is Mosquitoes, Boas and of course raccoons that carry rabies lol

Yeah it's a little tropical haven for all the nasty critters we used to only see on Nat Geo. Way to go boss making a quarter mill a year to put a dent in the pest problem lol

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Yeah it's a little tropical haven for all the nasty critters we used to only see on Nat Geo. Way to go boss making a quarter mill a year to put a dent in the pest problem lol

Haha exactly... The business is seriously nasty but profitable. It's regulated by the state of agriculture on a federal level. The type of pesticides can be very dangerous

• Like 1

humidity and insects are crazy there too, every time i go to Florida i come back with nasty insects bites.  worst than i've been bitten in India and Thailand. 

i think no wild animal is more dangerous than insects. and they are much harder to protect against

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aztek said:

yet regardless of your feeling i have complete confidence if such monkey was close enough to pose danger i would hit it, i've hit much smaller targets.

i'm not sure what your point here is, that armed citizens should not attempt to protect themselves when in danger of getting bitten\infected??? or you just arguing with me for the sake of arguing?

I wouldn't question your abilities with a handgun. Guns are good protection if you can see your target.  Armed citizens should by all means defend themselves. If the monkeys are up in a tree and drop a coconut on your head, like they did using a brick on that man in India,you may not have a chance to draw.  If there are three or four of them, even with bad aim, one might get you.

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I wouldn't question your abilities with a handgun. Guns are good protection if you can see your target.  Armed citizens should by all means defend themselves. If the monkeys are up in a tree and drop a coconut on your head, like they did using a brick on that man in India,you may not have a chance to draw.  If there are three or four of them, even with bad aim, one might get you.

yes and if monkeys get their hands on ak 47, like in that African video, they will be even more dangerous,    i'm not sure what point you arguing here

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I keep picturing Aztek in a situation like this (caution- contains man vs monkey violence): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3347009/Watch-shocking-moment-man-gets-fist-fight-monkey.html

In the end I would have to say it was a draw.  I'd say the monkey started it too.

• Haha 1

I've read stories about this before.  Maybe there should be a bounty on them or maybe we can infect them with herpes, or something, that will kill them.  They do need to be wiped out. 

Monkeys are responsible for AIDS. 

17 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

3 or 4 of them, that is when you use a 12 gauge pump.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Michelle said:

Rhesus monkeys tried to swim out to the boat my husband and his brother were on. There were a bunch of them on shore and of course my husband started imitating them. That made them angry and they started swimming towards the boat raising a huge ruckus. They didn't know these moneys could swim. Needless to say, they won't do that again. :lol:

Maybe the military should lay waste to that island.

20 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Maybe they should stop feeding them on Tuesdays and Saturdays in honor of the Hindu god Hanuman.  Starve the little murderers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Ashotep said:

Maybe they should stop feeding them on Tuesdays and Saturdays in honor of the Hindu god Hanuman.  Starve the little murderers.

Eh, probably.  But then again, people do all kinds of stupid things in the name of religion. 

• Like 1