Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery booms plague Fair Oaks residents

UM-Bot

A bright light does seem to be seen briefly just before the noise occurs on some of the clips, suggesting something like heavy duty fireworks. Can the time lapse between glow and sound be used to work out distance away? My mathematical skills are abysmal!

• Like 1

Just now, Susanc241 said:

A bright light does seem to be seen briefly just before the noise occurs on some of the clips, suggesting something like heavy duty fireworks. Can the time lapse between glow and sound be used to work out distance away? My mathematical skills are abysmal!

Yes it can Susanc241. Very roughly, sound travels at about 330m/second. So if the boom is three seconds behind the flash, then it is about a kilometre away ! 

• Like 4

That should narrow down any search area.

• Like 1

I recall a technology that was deployed in one of our larger cities (don't recall which one) that used microphones in specific locations that allowed a kind of triangulation to locate where gunshots were emanating from.  Maybe they could try something like that.  I just hope it isn't some nutjob or group of them practicing for "an event" they're planning.  The kind of chaos that could be caused to our power grid with just a few, strategically employed mortars and rifle fire is beyond the imagination.  Our grid is so fragile in that respect that when it does go down to an attack, there are going to be individuals who should be imprisoned for life.  They KNOW it's going to happen at some point and are too gutless about possibly losing their jobs and pensions to DO anything about it.

Admiral Boom is still at it.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:43 PM, RoofGardener said:

Yes it can Susanc241. Very roughly, sound travels at about 330m/second. So if the boom is three seconds behind the flash, then it is about a kilometre away ! 

You can then draw a circle on the map with the distance as the radius. When three people do this the intersection of the circles is the rough location of the explosions.