Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman with rare gene mutation feels no pain

Still Waters

Jo Cameron only realises her skin is burning when she smells singed flesh. She often burns her arms on the oven, but feels no pain to warn her.

That's because she is one of only two people in the world known to have a rare genetic mutation.

It means she feels virtually no pain, and never feels anxious or afraid.

It wasn't until she was 65 she realised she was different - when doctors couldn't believe she didn't need painkillers after a serious operation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47719718

• Sad 1

The part that really interests me is her lack of reaction to adrenaline.  As someone who is awash with it and the ensuing anxiety I would love them to find a way to truly dampen its effects.  The lack of pain is more worrying as you don’t know when you have damaged yourself.  Imagine carrying on walking on a broken ankle.

Dito for me also would love to be free of anxiety and chronic pain when I have it, would be a lot easier on all the other organs that painkillers affect!

There is no real adrenaline rush if there is no pain or fear. Just as there is very little reaction when you are anesthetized. The big problem with not feeling pain is that people can go into septicemia without knowing that the infection is really all that bad. This is what happens to people with diabetes with their feet and is part of the reason people with leprosy lose fingers and toes. Pain is your warning when something needs attention. Without it, small problems can become life-threatening.