Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Garfield phones mystery solved after 35 years

Still Waters

A French coastal community has finally cracked the mystery behind the Garfield telephones that have plagued its picturesque beaches for decades.

Since the 1980s, the Iroise coast in Brittany has received a supply of bright orange landline novelty phones shaped like the famous cartoon cat.

Anti-litter campaigners have been collecting fragments of the feline for years as they clean the beaches.

But now, the source of the problem has been found - a lost shipping container.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47732553

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

floating about in one local for 35 years, pretty cool,

i cant recall how many notes in a bottle i tossed in the daytona coast in the 80s, not one contact back....yet.

• Sad 1

Not as "bright orange" as they're supposed to be.  They've obviously been through a whale.

• Haha 3

I know plastic in the ocean is bad. But, this...This is just hilarious to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i used to use those import beer bottles with the bail and ceramic top, it was the 80s i didnt know shamu might not like it,

a friend whose dad died and was cremated wanted to be scattered in the sea, he was navy, my buddy was kind of like curly from the 3 stooges, we get out on the pier he whips out "dad" its some small sealed black box, he starts trying to open it and gets frustrated beats it on the pier it busts, dad goes everywhere box goes in the drink...

why cant i forget such things?

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

floating about in one local for 35 years, pretty cool,

i cant recall how many notes in a bottle i tossed in the daytona coast in the 80s, not one contact back....yet.

Daytona eh?  Hi neighbor 

i lived in orlando 46 years then about 4 years back we moved to eustis, im not a "sun" person but used to dirt pirate and haunt the boardwalk before it went yuppie