Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Dog suicide bridge' mystery solved at last ?

UM-Bot

If that's the case, then surely once on the ground under this bridge, these dogs whilst still obviously still able to smell these mammals would proceed to act like a dog on a scent and run off or go sniffing mad in the immediate area looking for these very mammals they were smelling when on bridge... And yet, they apparently don't.. Hmmmmm 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mksmith71 said:

If that's the case, then surely once on the ground under this bridge, these dogs whilst still obviously still able to smell these mammals would proceed to act like a dog on a scent and run off or go sniffing mad in the immediate area looking for these very mammals they were smelling when on bridge... And yet, they apparently don't.. Hmmmmm 

Maybe falling off the bridge distracted them? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

.My whippets often hunt on edges of creeks 30ft high and have never blindly gone over, even in pursuit of rabbits,and whippets are not considered the dux of dogdom.As said, why have your dog off lead in that area.Could be people getting rid of their pet,using the bridge as an excuse.Apart from that there is something really disturbing happening there.Don't think anyone would find humour in it if it was their animal.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thought it was funny how the article was written. Usually the more logical explanation would be put second . Something like this. Man thinks bridge is haunted by ghost that kills dogs. While, many sane logical people think differently. 

Edited by InconceivableThoughts
  • Thanks 1

i have zero real definitive reason why dogs do that there but i do not believe it has anything to do with ghosts.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, openozy said:

.My whippets often hunt on edges of creeks 30ft high and have never blindly gone over, even in pursuit of rabbits,and whippets are not considered the dux of dogdom.As said, why have your dog off lead in that area.Could be people getting rid of their pet,using the bridge as an excuse.Apart from that there is something really disturbing happening there.Don't think anyone would find humour in it if it was their animal.

But the evidence doesn't seem to support the idea that anything particularly unysual going on there at all. It appears that there have been some accidents, six, in an unkown space of time, but going by the local police, vet, etc, quite a while, which has been developed into an urban myth. 

47 minutes ago, oldrover said:

But the evidence doesn't seem to support the idea that anything particularly unysual going on there at all. It appears that there have been some accidents, six, in an unkown space of time, but going by the local police, vet, etc, quite a while, which has been developed into an urban myth. 

If that's true its probably less pet deaths than most old bridges.I wonder if there's a ghost at Echo point here near Katoomba,people are practically lining up there to take the final plunge.

It's quite lush around the bridge.  Lots of trees growing up high.  Dogs don't see in color and the lushness of the greenery may appear as solid ground to their canine eyes.  Seeing a squirrel or bird at the top of a tree might to them look like  the ground is right there....so they think they are jumping onto the ground.  Optical illusion of the canine variety.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, openozy said:

If that's true its probably less pet deaths than most old bridges.I wonder if there's a ghost at Echo point here near Katoomba,people are practically lining up there to take the final plunge.

It's high, and I'm not being flip here but does it have handy parking nearby? I don't kniw, I kniw the Clifton bridge in Bristol is supposed to get a lit of one way traffic too. Perhaps it's got something to do with a certain prominence of the land mark they're jumping off. We've got fatal cliffs everywhere round here but very few jumpers.

First record I foubd at Echo Point was a bookie facing an assualt charge, went over in 1936. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 1

I saw this on TV a couple of years ago, they came up with the same conclusion then. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldrover said:

It's high, and I'm not being flip here but does it have handy parking nearby? I don't kniw, I kniw the Clifton bridge in Bristol is supposed to get a lit of one way traffic too. Perhaps it's got something to do with a certain prominence of the land mark they're jumping off. We've got fatal cliffs everywhere round here but very few jumpers.

First record I foubd at Echo Point was a bookie facing an assualt charge, went over in 1936. 

I know of a couple of people not on record that they never found,I lived there for 9 years,pigs probably ate the remains.Also countless engagement and wedding rings.I know people come up from Sydney all the time  for their last view.Also know a paraplegic girl who got caught up halfway down,bad idea.I was only joking about the ghost being there,but if you look over, it sort of eggs you on to jump for some reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, openozy said:

I know of a couple of people not on record that they never found,I lived there for 9 years,pigs probably ate the remains.Also countless engagement and wedding rings.I know people come up from Sydney all the time  for their last view.Also know a paraplegic girl who got caught up halfway down,bad idea.I was only joking about the ghost being there,but if you look over, it sort of eggs you on to jump for some reason.

That's very sad. 

I know what you mean about the drawing you over I had an experience like that once myself. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oldrover said:

That's very sad. 

I know what you mean about the drawing you over I had an experience like that once myself. 

It's a weird feeling.Is it evil,paranormal or some ancient fatal attraction?Maybe you find out if you jump lol.

• Haha 1

Maybe they could rig some ultrasonic transmitters that make a noise that keeps stray dogs away.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the smell of small animals and a sloping wall makes more sense than a ghost prompting dogs to jump, when the only reason the ghost walks the bridge is because her husband died. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2019 at 4:19 AM, AllPossible said:

Build a wall !

- Trumps answer to everything

When the only tool you have is a wall, everything begins to look like the Mexican border.

-Paraphrasing Mark Twain.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The main reason its not dogs committing suicide is that,unlike us, they just don't give a sh--.

Cats are pushing them over... :D

• Haha 1