Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

bright flash of light in bedroom

slushie

This happened around 2013.

So, me and my friend were watching a movie in my room and my light was off, the only thing on was the tv and out of nowhere there was this really bright flash of light in the corner of my room, it lasted for maybe like 5 seconds at the most and we both saw it, looked at eachother and without saying a word we both ran out of my room.

When I think back on it I usually just think about that specific moment where the light flashed but recently I was trying to remember what happened afterwards and I have a very ****ty memory so I just assumed that's why I couldn't remember anything else but I decided to ask my friend what we did after that and she told me that she doesn't remember anything either. We both remember running out of my room but neither of us remember anything after we left my room.

but It hasn't happened since and me and my friend still talk about it at times because neither of us can figure out what it was.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this or if anyone has any explanation or theory for it.

Also, this is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right lol

• Like 1

Welcome to UM. 

You did fine. :D

How old were you and your friend? 

Did you see the source of the light? Did it originate from any particular area? i.e. ceiling/floor/windowsill/near a mirror 

How bright was it?

Did it fill the room or a specific area?

Could it have been car headlights through a window or something similar?

I know you said you had a bad memory and the event happened years ago. That makes it hard to do any investigative work now.

For the record, I've never seen any inexplicable lights.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Clarity

40 minutes ago, onlookerofmayhem said:

Welcome to UM. 

You did fine. :D

How old were you and your friend? 

Did you see the source of the light? Did it originate from any particular area? i.e. ceiling/floor/windowsill/near a mirror 

How bright was it?

Did it fill the room or a specific area?

Could it have been car headlights through a window or something similar?

I know you said you had a bad memory and the event happened years ago. That makes it hard to do any investigative work now.

For the record, I've never seen any inexplicable lights.

Thanks in advance.

thank you for responding!

At the time I was 17 and my friend was 18.

The light appeared from the corner of my room somewhat close to the ceiling, it was kind of close to the window but I live on a dirt road and the main road is obscured by trees and I would never see headlights unless it’s someone coming down the road and it did not look like any headlights I had ever seen lol usually If it’s headlights I would see the lights move through my blinds especially if someone was pulling into the driveway but this was just one light and it didn’t move, just appeared and disappeared in the same spot.

And yes, I have a terrible memory which is why I asked my friend what she remembered but of course it could be that we both have bad memories lol she’s usually more reliable with remembering things than I am. But the main reason I find it strange is because in all my years of living there which was ever since I was 5 I’ve never seen it happen before that night and I had never seen it happen after that night.

It was super bright, big and circular (you could see light rays as well) but it didn’t make me squint and it didn’t fill up the room at all. it’s like the only light was the light itself if that makes sense? Like it was just whiteness.

the light thing is something I’ve remembered for years so it’s very possible that I don’t remember anything else because when I think back to that night that’s the only part I've thought about.

one problem is even people who claim to have great memories cant fight the fact that memory is very flawed and not reliable.

it seems this phenomenon of a light flash isnt as rare as some might believe, things like ball lighting come to mind, the earth has all kinds of electrical phenomenon, and ive seen others report such events some desire it to be paranormal which i do not believe it to be.

ive never had a room accurance like you described but about 20-25 years back at my old house i would come in late from my club and many times enter through old fashioned double garage doors with an old fashioned lock and hasp,

one night as i grabbed it to stick the key in the lock i saw a bright vivid blue flash that basically looked like one of those glass balls you can touch and get the lightning to follow your finger, it lasted perhaps one second at the same moment i took a jolt i would compare to a cheapie stun gun,  not like when a wall socket gets you, different feel,

my thoughts were a short some way or static but this was 100 times brighter and more jolt than i ever got from static and that hasp never did that before or after, although i stayed weary of it for a long time,

i believe your experence and mine have down to earth prosaic explanations but im not sure what it would be.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, slushie said:

It was super bright, big and circular (you could see light rays as well) but it didn’t make me squint and it didn’t fill up the room at all. it’s like the only light was the light itself if that makes sense? Like it was just whiteness.

I am going to speculate on some kind of more advanced spiritual orb with the rays and all that. Wow, it sounds like a stunning experience and something I would love to have seen. Being two awake people seeing the same thing it would not seem to be an hallucination.

The closest I ever got to this phenomena was when a duller white orb moved across our TV room and was witnessed by both me and my son's friend. Any simple explanation for what we saw would require a stretch of reason.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1

Where do you live? I have a theory that these lights are caused by tectonic activity.

Edited by moonman
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, moonman said:

Where do you live? I have a theory that these lights are caused by tectonic activity.

ive wondered that too, and dr persinger took that further with theory when these shifts occur and release geomagnetic fluctuations and not only cause light flashes but also hallucinations, my wife who happens to have a PhD in this area says she would believe the hallucinations would be rare but the lights fairly common, she went on to suggest many unexplained phenomenon could have their explainations based in this.

Some people think it might be ball lightning. I saw a colorful crackling orb once.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the blue light flashing experience in my basement apartment.   I've lived there for eleven months.   At first, when I moved in, it flashed back in the bedroom for a couple of nights when I'd lay down on the pillow and I thought it was an actual camera flash.   The bedroom has a lot of static build up...at night, when I touch the blankets in my room, then it will be a trail of blue...it is obviously just intense static, but the camera flash seemed mid-air. 

Several months went with no camera flash like incidences, but the other night?  I had shut the electric off at the fuse box to reduce the electric use in the home at night, and also to prevent anyone from syphoning the electric.    And I saw a camera like flash in the front room...I was in the bedroom, and saw a flash. 

This is not a ball of light.   My granddad and Mom and her sisters had the globe of light phenomena  in their home during a thunderstorm, when she was little, long before I was even a nightmare in her worst dream...much less the little heavenly dream into which I eventually grew...hyperbolic humor there...please forgive it.  But I didn't have first hand info about my Mom's incidence of course. 

Other weird things, too, in the home, but not related to the flashing blue light

I will check back.