Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The dying art of conversation

Still Waters

What with Facetime, Skype, Whatsapp and Snapchat, for many people, face-to-face conversation is used less and less often.

These apps allow us to converse with each other quickly and easily – overcoming distances, time zones and countries. We can even talk to virtual assistants such as Alexa, Cortana or Siri – commanding them to play our favourite songs, films, or tell us the weather forecast.

Often these ways of communicating reduce the need to speak to another human being. This has led to some of the conversational snippets of our daily lives now taking place mainly via technological devices. So no longer do we need to talk with shop assistants, receptionists, bus drivers or even coworkers, we simply engage with a screen to communicate whatever it is we want to say.

https://theconversation.com/the-dying-art-of-conversation-has-technology-killed-our-ability-to-talk-face-to-face-112582

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

My Grandaughters sit side by side on my sofa texting each other , at least they are quiet lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm quite happy to go a week or two without speaking to anyone.  Even longer.   Sadly, it doesn't happen :(  

Anything that stops human's incessant chattering has to be good in my opinion :D     Although some have suggested that if humans stop talking their brains might actually start to work :o

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Its sad to see people reducing their social and emotional life to a set of phones and online applications, shrinking on themselves and turning out from normal healthy social relationships. I am my self not a big fan of society, often seen as an autistic person, but if I want to start a relationship, I would either start it in real life, or make it a condition that the relationship should take place in real life as soon as possible.

• Like 3

It can sometimes get out of hand i was on a bus and this young mom was more interested in her phone than in her baby who wanted her attention. When it was my stop i told her that her baby had dropped something. 

Edited by Impedancer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

More old people complaining about technology. They see it as driving people apart, when the reality is that it connects us as never before.

• Like 6

Whenever I see stories like this these old pics pop in my mind

1*U36hBj8i-C7JJJxS4MP2HQ.jpeg

karlson1.png?w=736

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

All I can think of whenever I see articles like this is this scene from the Simpsons:

297.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Podo said:

All I can think of whenever I see articles like this is this scene from the Simpsons:

297.png

I used that last time there was a thread like this. About a week ago....

• Like 2

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I used that last time there was a thread like this. About a week ago....

That's probably why I thought of it this time then! Fresh in the memory.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 3

GREAT ! TOPIC!!! I'm not old but grrrrr if that doesn't burn me when we're trying to get in some serious gossip and someone's toy buzzes or they break to text or whateever!!!! ON THAT BLESSID TOY !  FEEL LIKE CRUSHING IT IN THEIR... OH!  guess I wasn't holding back there soorrrry for the rant OOPS HEHEHEEE!

Edited by MWoo7

16 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

GREAT ! TOPIC!!! I'm not old but grrrrr if that doesn't burn me when we're trying to get in some serious gossip and someone's toy buzzes or they break to text or whateever!!!! ON THAT BLESSID TOY !  FEEL LIKE CRUSHING IT IN THEIR... OH!  guess I wasn't holding back there soorrrry for the rant OOPS HEHEHEEE!

Methinks maybe you've had your quota of caffeine for the day.

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2019 at 7:48 AM, Still Waters said:

What with Facetime, Skype, Whatsapp and Snapchat, for many people, face-to-face conversation is used less and less often.

These apps allow us to converse with each other quickly and easily – overcoming distances, time zones and countries. We can even talk to virtual assistants such as Alexa, Cortana or Siri – commanding them to play our favourite songs, films, or tell us the weather forecast.

Often these ways of communicating reduce the need to speak to another human being. This has led to some of the conversational snippets of our daily lives now taking place mainly via technological devices. So no longer do we need to talk with shop assistants, receptionists, bus drivers or even coworkers, we simply engage with a screen to communicate whatever it is we want to say.

https://theconversation.com/the-dying-art-of-conversation-has-technology-killed-our-ability-to-talk-face-to-face-112582

I use my phone to make calls, take work pics and limited texting so I barely look at my phone. I do business face to face the same with friends I will text to meet but keep it simple. I don't let my phone talk to any of my computers nor do I let my computers talk to each other.:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

I met my ex husband online, he was in Australia and me in California and Oregon during our 15 year friendship before he visited and we fell in love and got married. It didn't work out but we would never have met if not for ICQ messaging back in 1998. So many people connect through the internet, share ideas, create amazing things via the digital world. 

The "art of conversation" brings to mind yes nice communication but we haven't lost that we've gained the ability to speak with people from all around the world. This forum proves that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You know what, who really cares if "face to face" conversation is used less? People are still talking. I've been at work all night, but i've also been talking to someone all night *gasp* ON MY PHONE! Not face to face!!!!

• Like 4

the worst of it all is a lot of young 'uns are beginning to talk and 'present ' themselves like a host on some broadcast, that is not expressing but not realizing it is mimicking... 

~

• Like 1

It is strange that some people now live their lives as a "performance" for the viewing pleasure of others. Some of it as fake as fek. Stranger still to see people marching around city streets, too preoccupied with their head buried in a little screen to notice one another or their surroundings. To have to stop and let someone cross the road because they haven't seen you, marching across the street fixated on the little screen. Or being overtaken on the freeway by someone looking down at said little screen, glancing up every now and then to make sure they are still on the road. To see couples out to dinner, not talking to each other but each lost in their own little phone world. Sounds romantic. Or to see a group of young people sitting together not exchanging a word, too busy texting and fixated on the little screen.

It's not a problem of technology itself. It seems a problem with how easily our species can become addicted. If you consider it a problem at all of course. As technology increases with knowledge about our world never easier to acquire, this hasn't really translated in the way it should and paradoxically we seem to be getting commensurately stupider with it. Could be wrong, it might just be a biased perception from an oldie who lived most of their adult life without such things.

It is going to lead to profound social and cultural changes. One big change I can see is that eventually this technology is going to be incorporated physically. Then we won't have to worry about our best freinds little battery going flat, or having to carry it around with us. People are working on ways to do this at the moment. People seem to recoil at the idea, but it'll happen and people will flock to it. We could be the last examples of purely biological humans.Wonder what our species will look like in 50 years.

• Like 2

I believe the internet and all them social media sites have destroyed alot of relationship.

My niece she us to be on her computer till 4am then not wanna take care of her kid, I kicked her bed told her to get up.

The bus seen the same thing I have seen ppl getting hit because they text while walking, driving while texting. And now my God death by selfies! Come on people is it really that much of an obsession???

Like grandpa Simpson but in Homer D'OH

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 1:42 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

More old people complaining about technology. They see it as driving people apart, when the reality is that it connects us as never before.

I am 24 years old, probably younger than you. It does not have to do with age, in fact I am expecting a a very strong reaction against technology particularly from the youth in the coming years. I have this feeling, for many considerations, and I am quite sure that people will come back to the normal healthy relationships". If they don't, they are f...ed!

Some people mention some perks of the internet as an evidence that it can substitute our normal social relationships. Wrong, the internet can help you know people, but nothing more than that. It cannot get to shake their hands, hug them, consolidate them when sad, have sex with them when horny, make them food when hungry, help them get to the toilet when sick. the Internet is not a social bond, real relationships are. 

I don't deny that the internet can get you to know people and talk with them, but humans are organic animals, they need a whole system of needs, food, love and cooperation. The internet can't provide with that, talking and communication isn't going to feed you.  Now one can babble as much as he want about the fact that the internet is enough for him. but the next time he gets sick, he should be consistent and call his friend on Facebook instead of going to the doctor or at the very least call the closet human being next to him.

This conversation reminds me of a television show, I think from the 70's, where an experimental submarine explored the deepest part of the oceans and accidentally fell through a crack that put them in the future where there were only two people still alive on earth and they were teenagers who spent all there time connected to a computer running robot wars with each other.  One was a girl and one was a boy and to save the future the submarine crew had to get them both out of their habitats disconnected with their computers to interact with each other.  :P

I remembered the name of the show, it was Sea Quest 2032.  :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...