Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any members here with Chronic Health conditin

spartan max2

Hi all,

I know this seems sort of like a macabre question, but who here has a chronic health condition? And has it significantly effected your life?

My ears were damaged when I was a teenage by some medication so I have tinnitus - ringing in my ears. At first it drove me insane, but I guess I got use to it because now it does not feel like a bid deal,

I guess what I am curious about is if other chronic conditions worked that way for people; driving you insane at first then later it not being a big deal?  

if you have a story to share I would like to hear it.

• Like 2

I have tinnitus, also. Curiously, it seemed to clear up when I cleaned up my diet. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but I still find it interesting.

I also have Crohn's disease. Diet plays the biggest role in remaining asymptomatic, in my experience. If I eat like crap on a consistent basis, I suffer for it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I have tinnitus, also. Curiously, it seemed to clear up when I cleaned up my diet. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but I still find it interesting.

I also have Crohn's disease. Diet plays the biggest role in remaining asymptomatic, in my experience. If I eat like crap on a consistent basis, I suffer for it.

I feel like my ears are beyond redemption with that, but out of curiousity when you say "clean up" you diet what did you mean lol

• Like 1

Yeah, sort of. It's not curable permanently, and will ultimately require surgery, then more surgery in a few years, all going well. So by definition it is chronic, although it's also got the potential to become acute.

It does limit what I do, got to watch out for certain symptoms and constantly monitor some stuff. I've only been diagnosed late last year, in the autumn. I'm not very old. but I have to think now whether I can still do certain things. And every once in a while (as in often) I've got to make a decision as to whether I've got wind, or am potentially about to go and join my tigers. I don't feel complete in a way and it ****** me right off. 

It's funny, I haven't really thought about how I feel about it until reading this post, other than noting I'm not particularly shocked or upset by it all, except for not really understanding yet how far the limitations on me are I'm very OK with it. 

Edited by oldrover
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I feel like my ears are beyond redemption with that, but out of curiousity when you say "clean up" you diet what did you mean lol

Limiting refined sugar and processed foods. I eat a low carb diet most of the time, which helps tremendously with inflammation and ailments caused or exacerbated by inflammation. I still indulge occasionally, but as long as I keep it in check, I have practically no issues.

• Like 2

I have chronic arthritis in my right foot - basically every step I take is painful. Although often it's even more painful when at rest .....  You get used to it in time.   It also affects my hands.  This is why I am planning on walking 240 miles through the Scottish Highlands later this year with a good friend, who had his stomach removed due to melanoma last year ...  

https://www.capewrathtrail2019.com/

• Like 2

I have one, or actually two, but it's a complicated story that I prefer not to share publicly. You can PM me, if you're curious enough though...

• Like 2

Endometriosis, knee that has arthritis and dislocates on own and Asthma 

• Like 2

My chronic illness is mental illness.  I have PTSD as well as bi-polar disorder.

It has affected my life.  However, I've been doing better than ever with my life for the last eight years, as I've finally got on medication that actually works.  I've been on a drug called Clozaril since 2011.

Years ago, I was in and out of mental hospitals.  But I've gone eight straight years without having to put myself in a hospital.

• Like 4

I actually have one which i rather not share in public it's nothing dangerus though it means i have to be on meds for the rest of my life and i cant live without them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MainerMikeBrown said:

My chronic illness is mental illness.  I have PTSD as well as bi-polar disorder.

It has affected my life.  However, I've been doing better than ever with my life for the last eight years, as I've finally got on medication that actually works.  I've been on a drug called Clozaril since 2011.

Years ago, I was in and out of mental hospitals.  But I've gone eight straight years without having to put myself in a hospital.

That sounds like a success story, good luck for the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

Endometriosis, knee that has arthritis and dislocates on own and Asthma 

Oh I forget to add Anxiety, panic attacks, OCD and depression 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ruby04 said:

Oh I forget to add Anxiety, panic attacks, OCD and depression 

hey those are mine too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is my list

1. Degenerative disc disease the top of my spine to the bottom of my spine

2 spinal stenosis 

3 arthritis in all joints, including R.A factors 

Hypothyroid 

My resent is connective soft tissue disease.

And psoriasis.

And bulging disc 

Even with all that still full-time caregiver to my disabled adult child who has 2types of cerebral palsy and at age 15 was diagnosed with epilepsy.

Edited by Abilityperson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Diverticulitis. That's all I currently know of right now.

Oh so sorry my brother can't remember what one but has colitis it can mess him up.

• Like 1

Just now, Abilityperson said:

Oh so sorry my brother can't remember what one but has colitis it can mess him up.

What I have was the same thing that took my grandmothers life. So I'm being extra careful about it. I had terrible depression for a few years, until I derailed that train of thought. Haven't had a bad day in a long time and I refuse to. From my perspective depression is just an attitude.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What I have was the same thing that took my grandmothers life. So I'm being extra careful about it. I had terrible depression for a few years, until I derailed that train of thought. Haven't had a bad day in a long time and I refuse to. From my perspective depression is just an attitude.

Sorry about your grandma :-(

I had depression yrs ago, told myself snap out of it. Now I control my depression 

• Like 2

Just now, Abilityperson said:

Sorry about your grandma :-(

I had depression yrs ago, told myself snap out of it. Now I control my depression 

It feels good to do that. Some people wear their problems like a badge of honor, look at how special I am. Others just deal with it, it is what it is. Folks like myself hate it. I hated being depressed, I hate my intestinal issues. So I can either deal with them or live with them. 

To give up, to be helpless, ain't my style. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a lot of inflammation in my body till I found a product that worked I have no more inflammation in my joints anymore and this is what I use I will put it on here if you guys might want to try it to see if it helps you

Called turmeric curcumin 

500 mg

• Like 2

Curcumin can have positive effects on depression, as well, but needs about a month or two of consistent use to notice any benefit.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 7:42 PM, Abilityperson said:

I had a lot of inflammation in my body till I found a product that worked I have no more inflammation in my joints anymore and this is what I use I will put it on here if you guys might want to try it to see if it helps you

Called turmeric curcumin 

500 mg

That's a coincidence,

My dad started getting arthritis real bad recently and I heard about the possible effects of turmeric, so I made a post about it on Reddit and got some mixed reactions! lol

There were a lot of people who hard-lined and felt I was pushing homeopathic, natural remedies. I was just asking if anyone tried it and it helped. Some people said yes, some people said no. The internet had a little research on it.

But thanks for sharing! 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My heart is a tad annoying i have  unstable angina and had a quadruple bypass only to find that chronic heart disease has gotten the grafts and only one of them has taken so now i have to go back in again at the end of the month for another op soon 

• Like 1

I'm type 2 diabetic, some issues with GERD.   I have had depression and anxiety in the past but through counseling have learned what my "triggers" are and stay away from them as well as learn how to cope with them.   

• Like 1