Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concrete pyramids?

21 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

That's pretty weak.  After running through all the scans they then say that Tura limestone was used to make the hypothetical concrete.  Why anyone would want to take perfectly good limestone, crush it up, make a concrete, cast it, cure it for 3-6 months (at one inch per month; the rule of thumb) and then put it on a structure when they could just cut limestone and put it up... is a non-starter.  That would turn a 2 year job into a 20 year job.

...and to add to the evidence against pile, once they'd learned to make concrete why didn't they make standardized forms and then cast every stone building around?  Because once Akhenaten taught them to make talatats (smaller blocks of stone for building) the standard throughout Egypt became the use of talatat-sized blocks in construction and moving away from the use of massive megaliths.  Since they weren't stupid, they would have absolutely used concrete everywhere... if they'd had it.

Bit these were highly advanced space aliens with superior technoligy to us and loads of time, so who knows what they would have done.  They clearly had time to add all the fossils and stratification within the blocks in order to make all the concrete look identical in every possible way to natural bedrock.   But that's space aliens for you.  Crazy dudes!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Isn't it already established where the stones were quarried from, along with remnants of the process?

Yes. but those stories aren't aimed at people like you, who actually have a brain and the ability to use it. The amount of people who fall for this drivel is very disappointing to me, even if it is unsurprising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

That's pretty weak.  After running through all the scans they then say that Tura limestone was used to make the hypothetical concrete.  Why anyone would want to take perfectly good limestone, crush it up, make a concrete, cast it, cure it for 3-6 months (at one inch per month; the rule of thumb) and then put it on a structure when they could just cut limestone and put it up... is a non-starter.  That would turn a 2 year job into a 20 year job.

...and to add to the evidence against pile, once they'd learned to make concrete why didn't they make standardized forms

How can you know curing characteristics of hypothetical concrete?  Plaster of paris sets in 30 minutes.  

53 minutes ago, Gaden said:

Yes. but those stories aren't aimed at people like you, who actually have a brain and the ability to use it. The amount of people who fall for this drivel is very disappointing to me, even if it is unsurprising.

How do your brains compare to the authors?

"Kenneth J.D. MacKenzie a, ⁎, Mark E. Smith b , Alan Wong b , John V. Hanna b , Bernard Barry c , Michel W. Barsoum d a MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand b Department of Physics, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7Al, UK c Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences, Lower Hutt, New Zealand d Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA"

4 minutes ago, WVK said:

How can you know curing characteristics of hypothetical concrete?  Plaster of paris sets in 30 minutes.  

It was hypothetical limestone concrete. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

.  Why anyone would want to take perfectly good limestone, crush it up, make a concrete, cast it, cure

Because it's easier and requires less skill than precision hand carving. One mold size for each course of cladding 

44 minutes ago, WVK said:

"Kenneth J.D. MacKenzie a, ⁎, Mark E. Smith b , Alan Wong b , John V. Hanna b , Bernard Barry c , Michel W. Barsoum d a MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand b Department of Physics, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7Al, UK c Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences, Lower Hutt, New Zealand d Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA"

I'd say favorably, because I can look at this;

building-blocks-great-pyramid-500.jpg.3c7ed0dbc1daa1ee273a922e2cc7b57f.jpg

and easily surmise that the block were not cast. No one with half a brain would.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

To the OP / WVK so,  I'm just curious and asking a question here.  So, when they needed a new block, they would have a crew nail together the form , then another crew would roll up the wheelbarrows full of concrete, then let it dry for a few hours, not days, because it might have been as nice as dentist plaster and dried quickly with no shrinkage eh?

I know they were not trying to be artists but this might be of some significance: those plaster blocks in that picture above look so much different than https://www.differencebetween.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Difference-Between-Gypsum-and-Plaster-of-Paris-fig-2.jpg

or

67fff353bead4c29abc0ee6007744766--painti

I'm still keeping an open mind-- so maybe we lost the knowledge

... maybe we will find wheelbarrows or mixing furrows / trenches / troughs / bowls / tanks maybe even with plaster mixed w limestone concrete traces.  Hey ! it took us a while to figure out how the Romans made their superior concrete.

Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WVK said:

I've seen research chemists and electrical engineers who were Young Earth Creationists who thought the bible was fact accurate.  Common sense doesn't always accompany a education. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WVK said:

Because it's easier and requires less skill than precision hand carving. One mold size for each course of cladding 

...except they weren't in one size.  They were in a lot of different sizes.  And concrete is tetchy.  Get the wrong temperature or humidity and it's just a mess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WVK said:

I looked it up on several contractor websites... contractors who do concrete.  I figured one might not know,  so I got a consensus figure from several sites.

Concrete is not the same as plaster of paris.  Huge difference.  I've worked with plaster (making jackets for dinosaur fossils.)

• Like 3

So for sure it was concrete.

Hey !

It could happen  !

Found under the sphinx . . .

03664004f05071c2d63d337161eb20be.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by MWoo7
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

So for sure it was concrete eh?!?!?!! :o

Hi MWoo

It's not set in stone yet so...:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 1

pun included LOVE IT, please I have to get out of here and get something done but IT WAS CERTAINLY ENTERTAINING !!!!!!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I looked it up on several contractor websites... contractors who do concrete.  I figured one might not know,  so I got a consensus figure from several sites.

Concrete is not the same as plaster of paris.  Huge difference.  I've worked with plaster (making jackets for dinosaur fossils.)

But we’re not dealing with modern concrete. 

43 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

Question; How much wood would it take to make the amount of cement required? I'd guess that is why it is a desert, now, right? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, razman said:

out of curiosity , with all the records in Egypt , there is no records of them building the pyramids?

There's no records of them building all the tombs.  There's no record of them building all the temples, including the huge one at Karnak.  There's no record of them building the city of Alexandria.  There's no record of them carving any of the statues.

Moving onward, there's no record of the Romans building the Colosseum or the Pantheon or even the Forum were the senators met.  There's no record of them building any of the theaters.  There's no record of the Greeks building the Parthenon or their theaters or anything at all in all of Greece. 

There's no record of the Scots building Edinburgh Castle.  There's no record of the English building Pendragon Castle (in fact there's no record of them building a lot of the castles there.)  There's no record of the Romans building anything in England. 

There's no record of the Chinese building the Forbidden City or the Shenyang Imperial Palace.  There's no record of anyone building the famous Borobudur, Central Java, Indonesia.

There's no record of the Anasazi building any of their cities.  There's no record of the Maya or Incas or Aztecs building their cities/temples/pyramids.

So if there's no record of all of the above being built, why do you think it's logical that the Egyptians would have documented building these pyramid tombs, given that they never documented the building of any tomb?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

There's no record of the Scots building Edinburgh Castle.  There's no record of the English building Pendragon Castle (in fact there's no record of them building a lot of the castles there.)  There's no record of the Romans building anything in England. 

English lords needed permission from the king to fortify their residences so we do have them. We also have a lot of records of Eddy Longshanks' "castle craze"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gaden said:

Question; How much wood would it take to make the amount of cement required? I'd guess that is why it is a desert, now, right? 

You don't use wood in concrete.  You use wood (or something else) to create forms for the concrete blocks.

And no, that's not why it's a desert.  It's a desert because there's no rain there ... and hasn't been any significant rain for thousands of years.

Just now, Piney said:

English lords needed permission from the king to fortify their residences so we do have them. We also have a lot of records of Eddy Longshanks' "castle craze"

Some of 'em.  But we don't have architects plans, requisitions for stonework, etc, etc.  For all the documentation there is on construction, they could have been brought in by faeries and plopped down.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WVK said:

But we’re not dealing with modern concrete. 

:lol:

We're not dealing with common sense either. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

You don't use wood in concrete.  You use wood (or something else) to create forms for the concrete blocks.

And no, that's not why it's a desert.  It's a desert because there's no rain there ... and hasn't been any significant rain for thousands of years.

You have to 'cook' limestone to make cement, in my estimation, it would take far more wood than was available.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gaden said:

You have to 'cook' limestone to make cement, in my estimation, it would take far more wood than was available.

Ah.  Forgot about that part of the process.  You're quite correct there.

• Like 2