Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Concrete pyramids?

6 hours ago, razman said:

out of curiosity , with all the records in Egypt , there is no records of them building the pyramids?

You are somewhat out of date

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_of_Merer

They recorded tombs being built and used

s0faNih.png

iV4zODu.jpg

NJuRDBr.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

You are somewhat out of date

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_of_Merer

They recorded tombs being built and used

s0faNih.png

iV4zODu.jpg

NJuRDBr.jpg

I was going to post this;

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ancient-egypt-shipping-mining-farming-economy-pyramids-180956619/

and then I saw you beat me to it. But, anyway...

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gaden said:

I was going to post this;

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ancient-egypt-shipping-mining-farming-economy-pyramids-180956619/

and then I saw you beat me to it. But, anyway...

...I believe the fringe response will be - 'it doesn't specific say they were building it  maybe they were just repairing it' , etc. In the Fringe world all evidence can be dismissed for any reason to retain the idea of the invisible civilization being the builder.

Like they will show great concern that their are no 'carved inscriptions' in G1 while hand waving away that such a statement also speaks against the invisible civilization - what they didn't have a written language?.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kenemet said:

There's no records of them building all the tombs.  There's no record of them building all the temples, including the huge one at Karnak.  There's no record of them building the city of Alexandria.  There's no record of them carving any of the statues.

Moving onward, there's no record of the Romans building the Colosseum or the Pantheon or even the Forum were the senators met.  There's no record of them building any of the theaters.  There's no record of the Greeks building the Parthenon or their theaters or anything at all in all of Greece. 

There's no record of the Scots building Edinburgh Castle.  There's no record of the English building Pendragon Castle (in fact there's no record of them building a lot of the castles there.)  There's no record of the Romans building anything in England. 

There's no record of the Chinese building the Forbidden City or the Shenyang Imperial Palace.  There's no record of anyone building the famous Borobudur, Central Java, Indonesia.

There's no record of the Anasazi building any of their cities.  There's no record of the Maya or Incas or Aztecs building their cities/temples/pyramids.

So if there's no record of all of the above being built, why do you think it's logical that the Egyptians would have documented building these pyramid tombs, given that they never documented the building of any tomb?

just sayin , you would think one of their greatest (if not the greatest) achievements would be recorded.

9 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Ah.  Forgot about that part of the process.  You're quite correct there.

D's "thesis" such as it is, is that they used a form of naturally disintegrated clay-like lime that occurs in eroded areas of the mokattam unit, the same stuff they were supposedly shoveling wheelbarrow loads of nummulites out of and back into.

Edited by Oniomancer

1 hour ago, razman said:

just sayin , you would think one of their greatest (if not the greatest) achievements would be recorded.

It might have been on the Mortuary or Valley temple which was destroyed and its stones reused. Most great monuments from the ancient world have no record of being built. The first building plans that survive are from the 9th century AD.

"The Plan of St. Gall, is one of the oldest known surviving architectural plans. Some historians consider this 9th century drawing as the very beginning of the history of blueprints. Mysteriously, the monastery depicted in the drawing was never actually built."
http://www.stgallplan.org/en/index_plan.html

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Oniomancer said:

naturally disintegrated clay-like lime

Isn't that called a "marl"? 

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Isn't that called a "marl"? 

Marl usually refers to lime deposits that build up in ponds, etc. in the same manner as bog iron.  The term probably still fits but this is stuff that's an erosion product instead of laid down by sedimentation.

4 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Marl usually refers to lime deposits that build up in ponds, etc. in the same manner as bog iron.  The term probably still fits but this is stuff that's an erosion product instead of laid down by sedimentation.

Bog iron can be laid down by erosion too. It happens in the acidic, iron laden sands on pine barren "islands". There will be a chunk of ironstone at the botton of a hill.

The Cretaceous and Triassic marls here were laid down by the ocean. They are either white or green.

I've pulled mosasaur, giant turtle bones, sharks coprolites , teeth and pertrified chunks of a species of juniper out of the Cretaceous green ones here and Rowan University just helped preserve a huge Cretaceous marl bed just up the highway.

• Like 1

"The great Egyptian pyramids present one of the greatest mysteries of mankind. Despite continuous scientific investigations, these monuments of antiquity still hide many secrets. Unresolved remains the question regarding the material and building technology of the pyramids. There are two opposing views."

https://www.europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/pdf/2012/06/epn2012436p28.pdf

Gathering 'concrete' evidence, MIT class explores controversial pyramid theory with scale model

Contentious subject

In fact, the very idea has been so controversial that "you can't get research funding, and it's difficult to get a paper through peer review," says Linn Hobbs, professor of materials science and engineering and professor of nuclear science and engineering at MIT and coteacher of the pyramid-building class.

http://news.mit.edu/2008/gathering-concrete-evidence

4 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

D's "thesis" such as it is, is that they used a form of naturally disintegrated clay-like lime that occurs in eroded areas of the mokattam unit, the same stuff they were supposedly shoveling wheelbarrow loads of nummulites out of and back into.

I...don't think that would work from a chemical standpoint.  Could be wrong, but I don't think it will work well.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, razman said:

That wasn't a "great achievement" to them.  

The things they thought were great achievements WERE recorded -- but they were things that people did and not things they built.  They did not record how ANY tomb was built.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WVK said:

"you can't get research funding, and it's difficult to get a paper through peer review," says Linn Hobbs, professor of materials science and engineering and professor of nuclear science and engineering at MIT and coteacher of the pyramid-building class.

Maybe because it was already proven they were quarried and the theory is idiotic? 

4 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I...don't think that would work from a chemical standpoint.  Could be wrong, but I don't think it will work well.

We used black marls for pottery. Even when they were shell tempered it was fragile and brittle stuff. It was probably why they were lined with a elk paunch to cook in. They broke while you cleaned them. 

2 hours ago, WVK said:

"The great Egyptian pyramids present one of the greatest mysteries of mankind. Despite continuous scientific investigations, these monuments of antiquity still hide many secrets. Unresolved remains the question regarding the material and building technology of the pyramids. There are two opposing views."

https://www.europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/pdf/2012/06/epn2012436p28.pdf

We already pulled this car crash apart in another thread. 

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Maybe because it was already proven they were quarried and the theory is idiotic? 

We used black marls for pottery. Even when they were shell tempered it was fragile and brittle stuff. It was probably why they were lined with a elk paunch to cook in. They broke while you cleaned them. 

Must've had a time finding enough fat elk. Or maybe just killed all the middle-aged ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

Must've had a time finding enough fat elk. Or maybe just killed all the middle-aged ones.

They were common on the East Coast prior to contact. I had 5 gallon buckets of the bones from major sites. They didn't go extinct in New Jersey until 1835. We also burned the forests in the fall creating meadows so they can feed. It's called "Agro-Forestry". Are you familiar with the term? 

Deer and Eastern Bison were also used in bigger and smaller pots. 

• Like 2

Hmmm I don't think it was marl? brb *scrolls up, page back* oh yes my question was!!!!! Lime quarries of natural LIME !  or how was it put... so DEPOSITS OF LIME, natural deposits(wow that would be nice'nice if it worked! for cement'), and that lime will not work as a cement hardener eh?!?!?! or as mentioned the chemical reaction won't happen?

I thought if you had lime you could make anything . . . and! if you've the white limestone of the north your piece is twice as strong! well yes exaggerating a bit HA! funny+kid+walking+through+wet+cement.jpg th?id=OIP.P6knVLB10rpeSfM9PdCxjwHaEK%26p

Complimentary/courteously blah! blah blah gratuitously gratis via:

pinburogu-keegan.club/taidetta-raparperin-lehdestae/ c6903305bf1c1b477277102ad455ceae.jpg

Lastly thanks for the link above I for one appreciated it also the "

garlic, onions and

parsley" noted.
Edited by MWoo7
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, WVK said:

One of the citations at the bottom of your link is to a paleomagnetic study that shows even if there was use of a geopolymer, that not all of it can be.

The study basically refutes the idea that the pyramids were built using just a geopolymer method. The small sample size they used shows that some of the blocks are natural.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

He apparently got some results, enough that he's touted it as low-cost construction solution for struggling countries..

https://www.geopolymer.org/archaeology/pyramids/pyramids-3-the-formula-the-invention-of-stone/

Here again his ability to wangle a workable formula out of his suppositions says more about his own ingenuity than that of the AE.

• Like 1

Thanks ^ ^ ^ ^ even though my family is German{{{{ portland cement authors]]] cement is not exactly one of the feathers
 in my fancy hats and by that I mean not really a super strong talent / skill set of mine imagine THAT! so I'm glad
someone was able to go over that article with a knowledgable eye.

Oh! I am late posting ... well both of you then ! :  D Edited by MWoo7

7 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

He apparently got some results, enough that he's touted it as low-cost construction solution for struggling countries..

https://www.geopolymer.org/archaeology/pyramids/pyramids-3-the-formula-the-invention-of-stone/

Here again his ability to wangle a workable formula out of his suppositions says more about his own ingenuity than that of the AE.

People think that because we use chemicals, it is very easy to find these ingredients in the final product. This is wrong. Thanks to the geopolymer chemistry, the chemical reaction generates natural elements, minerals that can be analysed as natural if scientists are not aware of their artificial nature.

Edmund Scientific's 1980's era make your own fossil kit :rolleyes:

From the looks of it and all the work involved, it's easier to use concrete. My next question is this stuff as strong as concrete? Probably not. 

• Like 3

I'm thinking more Betty Crocker, right down to the emphasis on all-natural ingredients.

oh yes my question was:

Recap: " so DEPOSITS OF LIME, natural deposits ...  will not work as a cement hardener eh?!?!?! or as mentioned the chemical reaction won't happen? "

Misc.:
See I was curious because in some northern parts WHITE LIMESTONE IS EVERYWHERE ! and maybe people haven't looked for beds of lime, but if that type of lime is not good for cement no wonder nobody touched it.
Edited by MWoo7