Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American legends about the Vikings

Unusual Tournament

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Dansk er kun for de særligt indviede og du er åbenlyst ikke en af dem. :rolleyes:

Anyway the Vikings didn't speak Danish as that language didn't exist at the time.

Hva du sier her er helt sant. :-)

Old Norse or -Norrøna mal-  was also called -Dansk tunge- Danish tongue, but it was wery different the languages today of course.

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

As for Danish being barbaric and incapable of higher thought as @Pettytalk seems to think: There are 14 nobel laureates from Denmark. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Nobel_laureates_per_capita

That's common in America. That's why we have these Newagers  twisting Native and Eastern thought.  American English is "top shelf?"  Bullcrap.....

I'm more than certain most Americans don't know what a kenning is, or knows how to use one. They are pretty common in Japanese, Chinese, Eastern Turkic, Lakota and Algonquian sarcasm though. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Modern Danish is derived from many different sources. It may have its root in old Norse, but it also have a healthy dose of other languages, particularly German, and these days a lot of English aswell. 

As for Danish being barbaric and incapable of higher thought as @Pettytalk seems to think: There are 14 nobel laureates from Denmark. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Nobel_laureates_per_capita

I was wondering when you'd show up.

So it's only Danish-ish.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Modern Danish is derived from many different sources. It may have its root in old Norse, but it also have a healthy dose of other languages, particularly German, and these days a lot of English aswell. 

Even your link title is mostly Latin. Latin was known as the Romantic language, as only Love can express higher thoughts. Romance? I don't speak Danish, and that was all I intended to imply, with a little addition of my warped humor. If anyone would read my posts without prejudice they would note that I hold the belief that we are all the same on the inside, we have the same kind of soul regardless of race, religion, language or even something as silly as nationality. I have stressed this on this site several times.  And if you really want to be fair, note that I praised Kierkegaard.

1 minute ago, Pettytalk said:

Even your link title is mostly Latin. Latin was known as the Romantic language, as only Love can express higher thoughts. Romance? I don't speak Danish, and that was all I intended to imply, with a little addition of my warped humor. If anyone would read my posts without prejudice they would note that I hold the belief that we are all the same on the inside, we have the same kind of soul regardless of race, religion, language or even something as silly as nationality. I have stressed this on this site several times.  And if you really want to be fair, note that I praised Kierkegaard.

If Latin is the language of love, does that make Danish the language of melancholy?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oniomancer said:

If Latin is the language of love, does that make Danish the language of melancholy?

More the language for annoying the Norwegians, Swedes and Germans

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I thought that was what Dutch was for. :o

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

This will explain all. :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Skirnum said:

This will explain all. :-)

:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanslune said:

You got it. :P

1 hour ago, Piney said:

We have deal with the Dutch, we annoy the other Scandinavians and the Dutch annoy the Belgians and the French. We both annoy ze Germans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Even your link title is mostly Latin. Latin was known as the Romantic language, as only Love can express higher thoughts. Romance?

I think you need to look up what "romantic language" really means.

What is higher thoughts in your opinion ?

2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

I don't speak Danish, and that was all I intended to imply, with a little addition of my warped humor. If anyone would read my posts without prejudice they would note that I hold the belief that we are all the same on the inside, we have the same kind of soul regardless of race, religion, language or even something as silly as nationality. I have stressed this on this site several times. 

And if you really want to be fair, note that I praised Kierkegaard.

To be honest I rarely read much of what you write.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

I was wondering when you'd show up.

:P

So it's only Danish-ish.

Due to our geographical location, I think that it was inevitable that Danish became a mix of other languages. Most modern languages borrows from others.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

:P

Due to our geographical location, I think that it was inevitable that Danish became a mix of other languages. Most modern languages borrows from others.

Yes but they tend to gather into their language good useful words - the Danish (and I am allowed to say so as I am half Danish) gather in useless, old and worn out words that have been discarded from other vocabularies. Like Syvoghalvfjerds or Rødgrød med fløde which no on can actually pronounce and Tredjegenerationsindvandrere

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

And Glaswegian the language of a brawl at 1am at the Kabab shop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

I think you need to look up what "romantic language" really means.

What is higher thoughts in your opinion ?

Best-Way-To-Smoke-Weed_6.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Best-Way-To-Smoke-Weed_6.gif

Those were the thoughts that kept you out of the good schools. :yes:

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Those were the thoughts that kept you out of the good schools. :yes:

Hi Piney

Never smoked pot until I was 25-6 but admittedly I was by the time I went to uni and still got what I paid for.:lol:

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mellon Man said:

I am currently swamped in paper work with respect to an upcoming excavation, on the Isle of Man this summer. Hence my response will be in parts due to time constraints.

Thanks there Mellon Man.  As you can see, there seems to be an interest in this topic on our site.  When you have time, it would be good to hear more.

I speculate from your comments that this might be related to your field of study.  I can also understand a bit of irritation when a dumb engineer an ocean and a continent away pops off with some inaccurate information when you are too busy to respond.   No challenge to your work and scholarship was intended.  No brown nosing either.  It might be that on occasion the life of a field archaeologist is  more exciting than that of a statistical process control engineer; except on those days when you find a significant correlation in third order interaction  input parameters  in a 15 step process.   That would be like unearthing a Buddha on Helgo.  

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks there Mellon Man.  As you can see, there seems to be an interest in this topic on our site.  When you have time, it would be good to hear more.

I speculate from your comments that this might be related to your field of study.  I can also understand a bit of irritation when a dumb engineer an ocean and a continent away pops off with some inaccurate information when you are too busy to respond.   No challenge to your work and scholarship was intended.  No brown nosing either.  It might be that on occasion the life of a field archaeologist is  more exciting than that of a statistical process control engineer; except on those days when you find a significant correlation in third order interaction  input parameters  in a 15 step process.   That would be like unearthing a Buddha on Helgo.  

I bet the paycheck is at least triple of that of a field archaeologist. Also my response should not be viewed in a negative manner. I did not respond to you to display any kind of knowledge in the subject.

Your above speculations are, however, erroneous. No irritation, or a subject matter related to my field of study. Except with respects to archaeology and history. 

If one has an interest in this subject, I would reccomend below references as essential.

Brink, S., and Price, N. 2008. The Viking World. London and New York: Routhledge.

Fitzhugh, W., and Ward, E. I. 2000. Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga. Washington: Smithsonian Books.

Haywood, J. 2000. Encyclopaedia of the Viking Age. New York: Thames & Hudson. 

Williams, G., Peltz. P., and Wemhoff. M. 2014. Vikings: Life and legend. London: The British Musuem Press. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Piney said:

That's common in America. That's why we have these Newagers  twisting Native and Eastern thought.  American English is "top shelf?"  Bullcrap.....

I'm more than certain most Americans don't know what a kenning is, or knows how to use one. They are pretty common in Japanese, Chinese, Eastern Turkic, Lakota and Algonquian sarcasm though. 

Yep.  Many sad parent's underfloor dweller stirs away from his dream viewer only to take up his thumb talker in a twitching   Cheeto scooper.

He taps out a chatter call, thought-treadings  disturbing Ullr's handiwork; the blankness of new snow. on dream viewers far away.  Swifter than the frost bowman's arrow it passes and lasts but a moment before Sif's vigilant son, skillful skater covers in with new snow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Yes but they tend to gather into their language good useful words - the Danish (and I am allowed to say so as I am half Danish) gather in useless, old and worn out words that have been discarded from other vocabularies. Like Syvoghalvfjerds

That is a perfectly good word for 77. :P

or Rødgrød med fløde

Very nutricious and quite delicious.... okay the first part isn't stricktly true. :rolleyes:

which no on can actually pronounce

Its pronounced exactly as you spell it. Whats so difficult about that ? 

and Tredjegenerationsindvandrere

That would be third generation emigrants for those that can't speak Danish. We are just more rational, why use tree words when you can get by with one ? 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

:PVery nutricious and quite delicious.... okay the first part isn't stricktly true. :rolleyes:

or the latter. 

15 minutes ago, Mellon Man said:

Your above speculations are, however, erroneous. No irritation, or a subject matter related to my field of study. Except with respects to archaeology and history. 

Thanks.  Sometimes a way to learn is to volunteer something wrong and be corrected. 

Of yourself if you can give us a little information,   do you have an expectation for your summer dig in a general sense?  We know about pot hunters and relic thieves in this country, no need to be too specific

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Thanks.  Sometimes a way to learn is to volunteer something wrong and be corrected. 

Of yourself if you can give us a little information,   do you have an expectation for your summer dig in a general sense?  We know about pot hunters and relic thieves in this country, no need to be too specific

No, 

The Eneolithic site is undisturbed, however, better to have no expectations. 

• Like 2