Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American legends about the Vikings

Unusual Tournament

39 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Kenemet

I came across this article and will look and see what else there is relative to the find of some of the artifacts mentioned in Hajalmar R Holand's book Westward from Vinland.

Westward from Vinland: A Review on JSTOR

jmccr8

Holand was an amateur historian who purchased the runestone from Ohman and concocted quite a tale associated with the Knutson expedition. He actually carved his initials into the stone and worked at marketing it for a number of years. He was eventually successful in the marketing.

The runestone is a good example of a fraudulent artifact that has, through time, generated a life of its own based upon early misconceptions and promotions which continue to the present.

• Like 2

Just now, Swede said:

Holand was an amateur historian who purchased the runestone from Ohman and concocted quite a tale associated with the Knutson expedition. He actually carved his initials into the stone and worked at marketing it for a number of years. He was eventually successful in the marketing.

The runestone is a good example of a fraudulent artifact that has, through time, generated a life of its own based upon early misconceptions and promotions which continue to the present.

Hi Swede

Yes, I read several articles about him but was interested in some of the other artifacts like the axe head and am at present wading through links to find out more about them. The article from jstor that I linked made mention of them and I thought that the author had made an effective rebuttal for Holand's claim.

I did come across this link about artifacts but it is mostly just a list with no links for more information so it will take some time to look through and I am skeptical of the source but will link it because Kenemet asked about other artifact hoaxes.

LENAPE LEARNING: LIST of NORSE ARTIFACTS in NORTH AMERICA

jmccr8

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Swede

Yes, I read several articles about him but was interested in some of the other artifacts like the axe head and am at present wading through links to find out more about them. The article from jstor that I linked made mention of them and I thought that the author had made an effective rebuttal for Holand's claim.

I did come across this link about artifacts but it is mostly just a list with no links for more information so it will take some time to look through and I am skeptical of the source but will link it because Kenemet asked about other artifact hoaxes.

jmccr8

That's quite a list of sites claimed. It seems they were all over, at least according to some.

I wonder if the stone foundations near me are Norse? What else could they be? :huh: :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BorizBadinov said:

That's quite a list of sites claimed. It seems they were all over, at least according to some.

I wonder if the stone foundations near me are Norse? What else could they be? :huh: :lol:

Hi BorizBadinov

Yeah, that's why I said it could take me some time to find source material links, and I think most are either misinterpreted or misrepresented but that's show biz.

(likely Nordic aliens):lol:

jmrccr8

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Swede

jmccr8

Geezus Jay!!! This is one of the frauds @Iilaa'mpuul'xem and I ran down. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Piney

I was sure you were going to affirm my suspicions, Thanks :tu::lol:

jmccr8

Wellllll.....This chucklehead does say I'm a Norse Catholic. :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, Piney said:

Wellllll.....This chucklehead does say I'm a Norse Catholic. :lol:

Hi Piney

You must be a citizen of the world then.:D

jmccr8

• Haha 1

You must be a citizen of the world then.:D

Well, when I actually do speak I am told I have a lovely International accent. :o

.....and Unlike Micheal Beck in 'Son of a Man Called Horse' I actually had a Yorkshire accent.  :yes:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Well, when I actually do speak I am told I have a lovely International accent. :o

.....and Unlike Micheal Beck in 'Son of a Man Called Horse' I actually had a Yorkshire accent.  :yes:

Hi Piney

Years ago I was at the airport and for some reason, some people from S.America think that In Canada we are blonds and started speaking to me in Spanish because they thought I was a foreigner instead of a tanned Irish Canadian.:lol:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Swede said:

The actual script reads "8 goter" (Goths).

I wonder if Gottlander might be an alternative translations. By the timeframe we’re discussing (which I assume to be the Middle Ages, but some of this is like trying to date Lord of the Rings), Goths referred to (one of two) specific groups of “barbarian” tribes. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

Looks credible to me.:rolleyes::whistle:

I'm starting a thread and going back after this clown. He teaches this to scouts and schools. :yes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

I'm starting a thread and going back after this clown. He teaches this to scouts and schools. :yes:

Hi Piney

Time for the beat-down eh.:tu:

The internet is a great tool to bad that it gets pumped full of bull.

jmccr8

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Time for the beat-down eh.:tu:

He's completely anonymous. Not even a picture and the people in his pictures have no last names. There's some alarm bells right there

• Like 1

The Mystery of Maine’s Viking Penny

THE STORY THAT GUY MELLGREN told about the curious silver coin began on the shores of Maine, where he met a stranger named Goddard. In the fall of 1956, Mellgren and Ed Runge, a pair of amateur archaeologists, had come in search of the most basic of coastal dig sites—a shell midden—when they happened onto a more unusual discovery.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/maine-norse-penny-archaeology-vikings-north-america

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

The Mystery of Maine’s Viking Penny

THE STORY THAT GUY MELLGREN told about the curious silver coin began on the shores of Maine, where he met a stranger named Goddard. In the fall of 1956, Mellgren and Ed Runge, a pair of amateur archaeologists, had come in search of the most basic of coastal dig sites—a shell midden—when they happened onto a more unusual discovery.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/maine-norse-penny-archaeology-vikings-north-america

I think that is real. It probably came into Penobscot possession through trade though. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Piney said:

@Hanslune  @Swede  Take a look at this gem. ^_^

https://lenape-epic.blogspot.com/

Haha, he mentioned Doug Weller a fellow I know. He and I (mainly he) did a cleaning sweep of Atlantis fake facts out of Wikipedia some years ago.

Catholic Native Americans speaking Norse huh?

Yeah baby.....bottle that crazy and sell it at the flea market for quatloos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

He and I (mainly he) did a cleaning sweep of Atlantis fake facts out of Wikipedia some years ago.

You reminded me of my days sweeping fake Indian tribes out of Wiki. No fun. :o

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3